Nonetheless in the press (previews, interviews, etc)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
glennjridge

Re: Nonetheless in the press (previews, interviews, etc)

#211 Post by glennjridge »

Geez such inventive chord changes and how they mix acoustic guitars with the synths! Kinda reminds me a bit of a more snappy hit and miss, love it

D.J.

#212 Post by D.J. »

glennjridge wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024, 8:51 pm Geez such inventive chord changes and how they mix acoustic guitars with the synths! Kinda reminds me a bit of a more snappy hit and miss, love it
It does sound lush!

jules

#213 Post by jules »

There's guitars, mylene farmer basic electro, fugitive rythm, strange lyrics, funny melody. Is this the main chorus that goes in a loop or does the track have another parts ?
Really curious, it sounds good.

rashomon

#214 Post by rashomon »

That's pretty much the core of the song and the chorus that loops and builds up.

Glad to hear I can make out Neil's vocals clearly on this snippet ... unlike in the preview on Monday when the rest of the instrumentation was drowning him out.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Spittingcat

#216 Post by Spittingcat »

Might be the one to skip for me. Hope I'm wrong.

Metarakete

#217 Post by Metarakete »

Spittingcat wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024, 11:49 pm Might be the one to skip for me. Hope I'm wrong.
You're missing an "exclusive" snippet of Schlager Hitparade (with English sub-titles) played at the end of this three minute piece for the main evening news of German national TV's second channel. Still widely watched I believe. It's a boiled down version of a 7:40 minutes piece transmitted earlier yesterday night on 3sat culture channel which broadcasts to Switzerland, Austria and Germany. Not as widely watched. The longer version ramps up the gay content a bit and has a part on PSB and Russia.
After Neil's "coming-out" interview for Attitude his parents called him while he was on holiday and were "sweet". Chris jokingly says "didn't they really say you're not our son anymore". Is this news or has it been mentioned before ?
https://www.3sat.de/kultur/kulturzeit/p ... s-100.html

drunk14

#218 Post by drunk14 »

Metarakete wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024, 5:16 am
Spittingcat wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024, 11:49 pm Might be the one to skip for me. Hope I'm wrong.
You're missing an "exclusive" snippet of Schlager Hitparade (with English sub-titles) played at the end of this three minute piece for the main evening news of German national TV's second channel. Still widely watched I believe. It's a boiled down version of a 7:40 minutes piece transmitted earlier yesterday night on 3sat culture channel which broadcasts to Switzerland, Austria and Germany. Not as widely watched. The longer version ramps up the gay content a bit and has a part on PSB and Russia.
After Neil's "coming-out" interview for Attitude his parents called him while he was on holiday and were "sweet". Chris jokingly says "didn't they really say you're not our son anymore". Is this news or has it been mentioned before ?
https://www.3sat.de/kultur/kulturzeit/p ... s-100.html
Trolling level master :lol:
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

drunk14

#219 Post by drunk14 »

The Schlager Hit Parade sounds like a solid single material. I love this guitar organic vibe (Did You See Me Coming intro, Beautiful People arrangement) and the melody is so infectious yet not obvious (you could expect a bit different chords than they are actually when it comes to singing). And yes, it has this triumphant and elegant way of running, just like Shameless.

Very promising :)
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

drunk14

#220 Post by drunk14 »

https://www.lesinrocks.com/musique-list ... 5-04-2024/

Great review from influential French magazine, Les Inrockuptibles.

psbnyc

#221 Post by psbnyc »

drunk14 wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024, 8:20 am https://www.lesinrocks.com/musique-list ... 5-04-2024/

Great review from influential French magazine, Les Inrockuptibles.
Thank you, yes, that’s a great review, he calls is their best album in more than a decade! And Les Inrockuptibles can be very hard to please!

drunk14

#222 Post by drunk14 »

https://www.musicomh.com/reviews/albums ... onetheless = another important music site, musicOMH.

The review is behind the paywall, co I'm copying it below:
It’s been 39 years since Neil Tennant performed one of the most successful role reversals of the age, and left his job as journalist for Smash Hits magazine to become an actual pop star. While it’s hard to believe that Pet Shop Boys have been with us for almost 40 years, ever since that unmistakable synth intro to West End Girls crashed into our lives, they’ve gained National Treasure status.

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe’s 15th album together both sounds very like Pet Shop Boys while also managing to grow and evolve their sound. For Nonetheless (possibly the quintessential PSB album title), they’ve worked with in-demand James Ford as producer for the first time. There are more than a few tracks where the sort of strings that Ford used in his work with The Last Shadow Puppets are utilised, very effectively.

Of course, Tennant and Lowe have mixed strings with synths to great success before, and there’s more than a few points on Nonetheless which hark back to their past. Dancing Star has a subtle nod to Domino Dancing in its melody, while the big, string-drenched ballad The Secret Of Happiness is slightly reminiscent of the band’s Ennio Morricone collaboration It Couldn’t Happen Here.

As ever, there’s a huge streak of melancholy and reflection running through the record. Tennant turns 70 later this year, and has already described Nonetheless as the band’s “queer album”, looking back on his formative experiences as a young man moving to London in search of fun and fortune. Nowhere is that more apparent than on New London Boy, a gloriously wistful look back at Tennant’s early years in London. It’s full of Tennant’s sardonic humour (“Won’t be long till I have to get out of here, and live my invented life. Well, already that’s pretty queer”). By the time he’s launched into a rap about “everyone dancing to Roxy and Bowie” it feels like classic Pet Shop Boys on first listen.

Dancing Star, a tribute to ballet superstar Rudolf Nureyev is, simply, a banger – instantly catchy and with a melody that nods to Madonna‘s Holiday, it’s a song that instantly takes root in your memory. It also features a chorus of “dancing star, more power than a star”, which is the sort of line that only Tennant could ever get away with it. The other single to be taken from the album, Loneliness, kicks off the album, and is less immediate but when the urgent, pulsing synths meld into Ford’s swirling strings, there’s an indefinable rush.

Above all, Nonetheless proves that nobody quite does ‘dancing while feeling a bit’ like Pet Shop Boys. Feel conjures up the same wistful poignancy that the likes of career high Being Boring did, with Tennant pouring out his heart to a significant other (“You make me feel like nobody else can… I will never let you down” runs the chorus) while the following Why Am I Dancing (introduced by a terrific fanfare) tackles loneliness and trying to start again in a new city – again, the autobiographical nature of the lyrics is made clear.

Bullet For Narcissus is a bit of an outlier, being one of the less personal tracks, a tale of a bodyguard drolly observing a fascist politician he’s supposed to protect, with lines like “devoted crowds who chant his song, I sometimes think he lives for fame” making it clear that a certain American businessman turned president could well be the subject.

Love Is The Law feels like a suitably epic closer – an almost cinematic ballad with Ford’s strings taking on John Barry-style proportions. You can nearly feel the curtain falling as the song ends. It’s a suitably big end for one of the best Pet Shop Boys albums in years, and, with a whole new generation discovering their music thanks to films like Saltburn and All Of Us Strangers, they look set to remain as enduring as ever.

drunk14

#223 Post by drunk14 »

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/album ... onetheless - The Art Desk

Only 4/5 despite the convincing ending which claims it is an absolute marvel of an album.

Sometimes I think that reviewers cannot give full rate (5/5) only because PSB are not in the first league in terms of their popularity among other nowadays popstars or they're not a new promising indie bands. This happened many time before in the case of other great albums by older acts.

telys

#224 Post by telys »

drunk14 wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024, 9:02 am https://www.musicomh.com/reviews/albums ... onetheless = another important music site, musicOMH.

The review is behind the paywall, co I'm copying it below:

Dancing Star, a tribute to ballet superstar Rudolf Nureyev is, simply, a banger – instantly catchy and with a melody that nods to Madonna‘s Holiday, it’s a song that instantly takes root in your memory. It also features a chorus of “dancing star, more power than a star”, which is the sort of line that only Tennant could ever get away with it. The other single to be taken from the album, Loneliness, kicks off the album, and is less immediate but when the urgent, pulsing synths meld into Ford’s swirling strings, there’s an indefinable rush.
Oh what an error. "star" instead of "tsar/czar", completly missing the point.
----
You've got me all wrong

Tenlow

#225 Post by Tenlow »

https://www.merkur.de/kultur/neues-pet- ... 32826.html

Translation:

New album by the Pet Shop Boys: Longing in the disco

The Pet Shop Boys are experts in disco melancholy. To mark the 40th anniversary of their first hit, they are now releasing "Nonetheless", a particularly nostalgic album.

When Neil Tennant left the music magazine "Smash Hits" in 1985, his fellow editors made him a farewell cover for the pop magazine with a photo of his new band on it. The journalist had decided to change sides, to get serious with his disco duo with Chris Lowe. "A year later, the joke turned into reality - we really were on the cover of 'Smash Hits'," Tennant recently said in a BBC interview about the new album "Nonetheless", which is released this Friday. It is still a bit surprising how popular the Pet Shop Boys were in the eighties. To date, they have sold more than 100 million records worldwide.

Like John Lennon, the electropop duo know that pop music is a Trojan horse

This April marks the 40th anniversary of the release of their debut single "West End Girls", and Tennant turns 70 in July. So it's time to look back. Unusual for the Brits, who always put themselves in the background. yawning on record sleeves or loitering in the subway, out of focus. Their banging, melodious, melancholic and at the same time euphoric music was important, not the boring guys they played. The opposite, if you like, to the megastar of today, Taylor Swift, whose persona has recently become so larger than life that it threatens to overshadow her music.

As a trained music critic, Neil Tennant always had a distance to his work. "How did I get here?", he asks in the piece "Why am I dancing?". You want to shout at him: Because the Pet Shop Boys didn't make a bad album. He probably knows that himself. Just as he knows that pop music is a Trojan horse that can be used to foist intelligent and sometimes unpleasant content on people. In this sense, the Pet Shop Boys have been making squeaky ducks with depth for 40 years.

"Nonetheless" is no exception. The title alone is typical: "Nonetheless". It can mean anything or nothing. But because we know the Pet Shop Boys, we relate this defiance to the prevailing conditions. Even if alarm bells are ringing in every corner of the world, we dance. Nonetheless. The opening track "Loneliness" takes this idea further. The narrator fights his way back from depression (in the video, a young man discovers his gay identity). "Where you gonna run now from Loneliness?", asks Tennant. The music provides the answer: get on the dance floor, feel life, barricading yourself in is useless. And the strings rave to the beat.

After the purely electronic disco records before, "Nonetheless" once again features more lush arrangements. The album is the duo's first with James Ford, who has already produced the Arctic Monkeys, Depeche Mode, Blur and Gorillaz. He has given the no longer very young boys a nostalgic sound - fitting for the year of retrospection. The Pet Shop Boys have always managed to sound both contemporary and unmistakably like themselves. This time they audibly bid farewell to being up to date. "A new Bohemia" begins like an old Beatles song, while Tennant sings that he feels like a silent movie star in sixties Hollywood: "Nobody knows you in the hipster neighborhood anymore."

The self-irony is obvious. And yet, for the first time, the question of whether some things weren't better in the past resonates here. "Where have they gone, les petits bon mots, who dances now to that sweet old song?" asks Tennant in his boyish voice, which sounds like it's been 1984 forever. "The Secret of Happiness" revels like a summer night lounge classic by Burt Bacharach. And with "The Schlager Hit Parade", they even launch an ode to German happy music that makes you forget "sausage and sauerkraut". They are long-time Berliners by choice.

Neil Tennant is one of the wittiest pop poets of our time

Of course, there are also many classic Pet Shop Boys moments here. The Captain Future fanfare that heralds the chorus of "Feel". The coexistence of sadness and ecstasy in "Why am I dancing? " And Tennant would never admit it - but he is one of the wittiest pop poets of our time. In "Bullet for Narcissus", he slips into the role of Donald Trump's bodyguard. In the verses, he reckons with the nature of his boss, and yet he would take a bullet for the narcissist. In "Dancing Star", he recalls ballet icon Rudolf Nureyev: "Dancing Star, more Power than a Tsar". The power of art surpasses that of the Tsar - one inevitably thinks of Vladimir Putin. And mean-spirited to Taylor Swift, who most recently dealt with coping with loss in 31 songs. You can't shake the feeling that Neil Tennant can do it in four lines.

So despite their penchant for nostalgia, the Pet Shop Boys remain firmly in the here and now. They celebrate life. Nevertheless. And we celebrate with them.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun