Track-by-Track: From Please to Nonetheless

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
neilgregory72

Re: Track-by-Track: From Please to Nonetheless

#481 Post by neilgregory72 »

One of the greatest slices of pop ever made for me.

I remember having to wait until the Saturday for the album and when I played this the hair on my arms stood up. So thrilling to hear this for the first time.

Should have been the fifth number one but as stated, single mix and let it down. And not releasing the FK remix.

@Leonidas Toy mix rings a bell. What was that meant to be? What that going to be the remix?
I may be wrong

jasonjohn

#482 Post by jasonjohn »

Yeah a brighter filmclip for Devices might of boosted sales a bit

I like the moodiness of it (the colours, the lighting, the dark costumes), and it's iconic in my brain (Neil hanging in the air like a smiling spider), but not very noticeable in amongst all the other filmclips of the time.

This might not be a popular opinion, but: Domino Dancing was brim full of gay imagery. Before that it was sort of abstractly implied, even if kinda obvious. They should of lead with Devices, because Domino might of created some hesitation towards the album and later singles given its direct correlation with half naked wrestlers. (Not saying don't do it all together, just timing.... get the album and manifesto out there first!)

herts101

#483 Post by herts101 »

I remember hearing the engine noise (is it an aeroplane starting up???) for the first time in the middle of the Disco mix, and being absolutely blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shopper

#484 Post by Shopper »

neilgregory72 wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2024, 5:50 am One of the greatest slices of pop ever made for me.
Without a doubt, the most glorious track in their canon and pop music in general.

Nostalgia warning*****
I was 18ish then and back in India in the late 80s, we never got the albums on UK/USA release dates. We would get cassettes (often a year+ delay) and CDs were out of reach. The folks who would have access to the CDs would run these underground music stores and we'd run with blank cassettes and for a price make a mix-tape!

I heard most major PSB hits that way and one of my friends had Left to my own devices (introspective version) and I was like OMG, the lyrics describe me (ya..the lonely boy verse) and that's when I flipped and started taking PSB more seriously and became a fan.
gosh it sounds all so quaint...esp in today's instant world

I loved Left to my own devices so much that around 2005, I asked my dear ceramist friend who makes these blocks (amongst other art) to make one for me with the lyrics inscribed. I was so happy with how it turned out and thrilled that it was a unique piece.

maybe if there is a museum of PSB or something, I should donate this to them :lol: my young niece/nephew will be like who the hell is PSB

hope this photo is accessible, not the easiest thing to photograph
https://ibb.co/4dsLm4r
Left to my own devices, I probably would...

https://www.instagram.com/chit2clix/

Lleonard Pler

#485 Post by Lleonard Pler »

Shopper wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2024, 3:41 pm
neilgregory72 wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2024, 5:50 am One of the greatest slices of pop ever made for me.
Without a doubt, the most glorious track in their canon and pop music in general.

Nostalgia warning*****
I was 18ish then and back in India in the late 80s, we never got the albums on UK/USA release dates. We would get cassettes (often a year+ delay) and CDs were out of reach. The folks who would have access to the CDs would run these underground music stores and we'd run with blank cassettes and for a price make a mix-tape!

I heard most major PSB hits that way and one of my friends had Left to my own devices (introspective version) and I was like OMG, the lyrics describe me (ya..the lonely boy verse) and that's when I flipped and started taking PSB more seriously and became a fan.

I loved Left to my own devices so much that around 2005, I asked my dear ceramist friend who makes these blocks (amongst other art) to make one for me with the lyrics inscribed. I was so happy with how it turned out and thrilled that it was a unique piece.

maybe if there is a museum of PSB or something, I should donate this to them :lol: my young niece/nephew will be like who the hell is PSB

hope this photo is accessible, not the easiest thing to photograph
https://ibb.co/4dsLm4r
Certainly having to wait a year to record a cassette of a CD in an underground music store, isn't as exciting as having all the new songs delivered on your Spotify playlist every Friday at 00:01.

But Left to my own devices would have the same impact. It never fails to impress when I listen to it.

Patrick Bateman

#486 Post by Patrick Bateman »

jasonjohn wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2024, 6:40 am Yeah a brighter filmclip for Devices might of boosted sales a bit

I like the moodiness of it (the colours, the lighting, the dark costumes), and it's iconic in my brain (Neil hanging in the air like a smiling spider), but not very noticeable in amongst all the other filmclips of the time.
I think the video suits the song: a bit moody, pretentious and slightly strange. I love the TOTP appearance with it playing in the background. They could hardly have been literal with the video like Erasure did with A Little Respect. Chris's dancing is bloody mad.

Xakrij

#487 Post by Xakrij »

Shopper wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2024, 3:41 pm The folks who would have access to the CDs would run these underground music stores and we'd run with blank cassettes and for a price make a mix-tape!

I miss the thrill of the chase.
During the pre-internet days if you didn't know someone who actually possessed the song on vinyl or cassette, or live in a town with a club whose DJ would play these songs, then you were just sh¡t out of luck! Even when the PSB site posted the unreleased songs/demos and we all sniped them out of our browser caches. That was a fun chase! Most recently do you realize just how easy it was to obtain the Japanese nonetheless with Clean Air Hybrid Electric Bus! Within a few days I had 2 copies arrive from a distance of 7,000 miles! Back in the day we would have waited months/years to listen to it.
So, I can appreciate your underground cassette recordings, as I am sure you did as well.

Cheers!
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Neilatrone

#488 Post by Neilatrone »

Track 31: I Want A Dog

Chronology: Introspective Track 2

Not one of my favourite tracks. But I don't need a pet.

jasonjohn

#489 Post by jasonjohn »

Sounded great in the All Of Us Strangers club scene

Lleonard Pler

#490 Post by Lleonard Pler »

Great album track. Very underrated. I love the melancholy in Neil's voice and the lonely atmosphere created by the music. One of those songs that will never be a single but help create the palette of an album. It doesn't get much more introspective than I want a dog.

Should it had stayed as a bside, everyone would say it should have been an album track. But since it's an album track, of course some will complain.

Too Many Shadows

#491 Post by Too Many Shadows »

They're at it again: another exploration of loneliness and the need for companionship. "Oh, you can get lonely... and a cat's no help with that." Marvellous, I think.

We could be here all day picking out our individual Introspective highlights; however, I Want A Dog is my favourite. The transformation from an adequate B-side to piece of ambient-house steeped in mesmerising, motoric moodiness is a treat.
Look at my hopes, look at my dreams...

Leonidas

#492 Post by Leonidas »

The start of Disco 2.

TallThinMan

#493 Post by TallThinMan »

It's got a real groove. An outstanding remix and the piano solo by Josh Milan is incredible.
Love Pet Shop Boys? You'd probably enjoy TIERGARTEN: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

ChrisLove

#494 Post by ChrisLove »

there is some Toto song with very similar piano solo
Your life's a mystery, mine is an open book. If I could read your mind, I think I'd take a look.

Pinhead44

#495 Post by Pinhead44 »

I Want a Dog.

Frankie saves the day, with his great chunky base remix !

Otherwise this was, for me, the first disappointing b-side that the boys had released to that point, and on a 6 track album, where it has to be all killer, no filler, is one of two tracks that shouldn't be on here. (7/10).