Tonight's BBC concert....

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
stussyboy

#46 Post by stussyboy » Wed 10 May 2006, 5:20 pm

Monty-- wrote:
stussyboy wrote:
DazzerUKUK wrote:>Luna Park sounded amazing! And why doesn't Sodom and Gomorrah sound that big on the album?

Good question. Maybe they couldn't afford all those musicians on an album.....you know what the unions are like!

The more I think about Robbie and what he did, the more I think what a tw*t! He didn't learn the words....almost cocked up, and halfway through the penny dropped when he realised the magnitude of the event and the quality of the orchestra and he finally got on with it....
I think that's a bit unfair on Robbie. He did ok. PSB songs are usually suited to an understated vocal, and Robbie is the master of an OTT vocal. The highlight of Jealousy is the orchestral climax, and you simply build up to that with the vocal. Admittedly, during the instrumental passages it's hard for Robbie to stand still and let the music talk.

And about the words, I'm sure Robbie knows them when he's singing along, it's a different matter when you've got 500 people 3 metres in front of you, and a 50-piece band behind you, singing someone else's words.

And remember, Neil almost came in 8 bars too early on Left to my own devices!
Bollocks,Stussyboy. No offence mate, but you're practically saying he isn't an artiste. And he isn't. He's just a jumped up beaut who sings kareoke. What on earth anyone see's in this bloke is beyond me. Born from the media, lives for the media. And he cannot sing. Just take one listen to his rendition of 'We Are The Champions'. He massacred the song. He massacred 'Freedom 90' and you can hear the strain in his voice when he tries falsetto. Stop reading the tabloids and open your eyes to what a gimp he really is, Stussy.

This is a post that is in NO WAY having a go at you Stussy. I just think he cannot sing, he cannot write music and he cannot dance. He's actually very good at being a gimp.
:shock: I agree that Robbie is not a songwriter, and not really a dancer, and technically not the best singer. But he does have something, that certain x-factor, star quality, charisma, that so few pop stars have these days.

He didn't upstage PSB, he didn't shame himself, as I said originally, I think he did ok.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Nightlife

#47 Post by Nightlife » Wed 10 May 2006, 5:43 pm

stussyboy wrote: He didn't upstage PSB, he didn't shame himself, as I said originally, I think he did ok.

I'll agree with you there. I personally think that he did ok.
You don't have to be beautiful, but it helps!

adampsb

#48 Post by adampsb » Wed 10 May 2006, 8:51 pm

CBA wrote:
BimboDuncan wrote:Album version. Which, I have to say, has now been surpassed by the single version IMO. The single is so compact and beautifully produced, with that beefed up bassline. I much prefer it. And last night the last three minutes of the album version did go on a bit with Neil standing there with nothing to do.
Album version intro stuck onto the 7" mix would be perfection IMO.
The 12" single version (disco mix) is in my opinion the best mix of the lot
It's gonna be alright.

Thank You, Goodnight

Check out remixes 251 & 254 on U-Myx

adampsb

#49 Post by adampsb » Wed 10 May 2006, 9:06 pm

The concert was excellent. While it is true that Robbie could have done a better job with Jealousy (he got 1 line in the 2nd verse wrong) I'd like to see any of you having a go do better (maybe you would or wouldn't) and he does have a certain charisma and stage presence. I saw him on his 2001 tour at Old Trafford and when performing his own material he is absolutely oustanding. BTW his cover of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on the B-Side of No Regrets is ace. If he'd done Jealousy as well as that we would be having a different conversation. Musically the show was fantastic.

Highlights for me were Drunk, It's a Sin, West End Girls, Devices, Integral and Rent. I.m not sure about Luna Park and Numb but I had an absolutely brilliant time (shame the coach journey to Newcastle later that night wasn't as entertaining)
It's gonna be alright.

Thank You, Goodnight

Check out remixes 251 & 254 on U-Myx

Trixiemix

#50 Post by Trixiemix » Wed 10 May 2006, 9:19 pm

adampsb wrote:The concert was excellent. While it is true that Robbie could have done a better job with Jealousy (he got 1 line in the 2nd verse wrong) I'd like to see any of you having a go do better (maybe you would or wouldn't) and he does have a certain charisma and stage presence. I saw him on his 2001 tour at Old Trafford and when performing his own material he is absolutely oustanding. BTW his cover of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on the B-Side of No Regrets is ace. If he'd done Jealousy as well as that we would be having a different conversation. Musically the show was fantastic.

Highlights for me were Drunk, It's a Sin, West End Girls, Devices, Integral and Rent. I.m not sure about Luna Park and Numb but I had an absolutely brilliant time (shame the coach journey to Newcastle later that night wasn't as entertaining)

Hi Adam! Thanks for that ticket :D Here is the link to my story

http://petshopboys-forum.com/viewtopic. ... efa6c1679d!!
Back to Trafalgar.........

Tomas

#51 Post by Tomas » Thu 11 May 2006, 1:12 pm

On the web, it's written the gig will be on Radio 2 at 8:30 pm (May 27), but during the "Drunk" broadcast, Chris Evans said that it will be from 9:00 pm (to 10:30)... :? :?:
PeT sHoP bOyS aT dEaD oF nIgHt
http://psb-atdeadofnight.net
Your one-stop source for 350+ PSB lyrics, 80+ PSB MIDIs,
plenty of unique photographs and much more...

shaunh7

#52 Post by shaunh7 » Fri 12 May 2006, 2:55 pm

From 'Holy Moly'

Whizzing through the Wapping air on her Broomstick Of Baloney, tabloid gossip goth Victoria Newton from The Sun is at it again.

On Tuesday morning she wrote: "I was lucky enough to be the only journalist invited to see the Pet Shop Boys perform an exclusive gig with pals including Robbie Williams on Monday..."

Yes Victoria, it was totally exclusive to you. Apart from the representatives of Q, Observer Music Monthly, Popjustice, Mixmag, The Word, The Guardian, The Times, Mojo, BBC Radios 1-5, GQs UK and America, NME, Esquire, The Daily Star and at least two other people from your own paper who were all there.

DazzerUKUK

#53 Post by DazzerUKUK » Fri 12 May 2006, 3:15 pm

And Heat, The Box, LBC, Boyz and so on !

Sad thing is, many of the people that read The Sun will believe the cr*p that's written in it.
And you say you never believed in luck

nickname

#54 Post by nickname » Fri 12 May 2006, 3:20 pm

adampsb wrote:The concert was excellent. While it is true that Robbie could have done a better job with Jealousy (he got 1 line in the 2nd verse wrong) I'd like to see any of you having a go do better (maybe you would or wouldn't) and he does have a certain charisma and stage presence. I saw him on his 2001 tour at Old Trafford and when performing his own material he is absolutely oustanding. BTW his cover of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on the B-Side of No Regrets is ace. If he'd done Jealousy as well as that we would be having a different conversation. Musically the show was fantastic.

Robbie Williams is one of the best performers on the stage. He is brilliant (charisma is a good quality in an artist and he has it).

Trixiemix

#55 Post by Trixiemix » Sun 14 May 2006, 1:48 am

GO TO the 'Pictures' section if you'd like to view my Mermaid pics :)
Back to Trafalgar.........