Known bootlegs and Ebay advice.

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.

eBay names of sellers selling fake items

Poll ended at Thu 29 Oct 2009, 12:04 pm

pwl-addict -- Brazil ( This guy is just churning out all sorts of fakes, eBay must ban him !)
No votes
jkmusicbrazil -- Brazil
No votes
drowned73 -- Italy
No votes
blondmaddy -- USA
No votes
haring1972 -- USA (selled a few bootlegs for high prices in the last time)
No votes
sebododisco -- Brazil
No votes
danceaholic -- UK
No votes
yesterdays_new_botique -- UK
No votes
susanne.watts.2013 -- UK
No votes
jennifer.k.1973 -- UK
No votes

Total votes: 0

gregf

Known bootlegs and Ebay advice.

#1 Post by gregf »

A PSB CD recently came up on Ebay that I did not have.
Another forum member was kind enough to confirm for me this was a bootleg.

The CD went for 40 BP. Image

Perhaps folks could list known bootlegs here, so newbies can have a reference.
It also helps to protect The Boys Intellectual Property.

Feel free to post a question and allow the gurus to reply. Image

Besides CDs and records, publicity photos can be listed as some are just scans
printed from computer. Any item that discredits Chris and Neil.

14-4-07 : Changed thread title to "Known bootlegs and Ebay advice".
Last edited by gregf on Sat 14 Apr 2007, 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Remember Bender, if you do it right, no one is sure you have done anything at all". -God. In Godfellas.

gregf

Very Remixed

#2 Post by gregf »

Okay, this was the CD : "Very Remixed".

17 bidders and went for 41 BP.

A friend advised me this is a bootleg and sent me samples of the tracks.
Glad I did not buy. Image
"Remember Bender, if you do it right, no one is sure you have done anything at all". -God. In Godfellas.

Pertan

#3 Post by Pertan »

SIN

#4 Post by SIN »

Seen it go for more than that and it is quite average...

Some others...........

Very remixed
electro-boys
bilingual remixes
live night volume one
live night volume two
heartbeats
mixculture
domino dancing
domino dancing - different release and mixes
domino dancing - 2 x CD Live
Watching my mind
Signed sealed delivered
The Prize
The Remix Collection of the Pet Shop Boys
For Boys Volume 1
For Boys Volume 2
For Boys Volume 3 - Thanks for the memories
The Classic Techno Mixes
Forever in Love
London City Boys Live London 1997
Music for Boys
You are always on my mind : Hot Tracks Volume One
Ultra Rare Trax Volume One
Ultra rare Trax Volume Two
Alternative Discography : The Remixes
Alternative Discography 2 : The B-Side Collection

Native

#5 Post by Native »

I had 'very Remixed' but sold it on ebay a few years ago, although I stated quite clearly that it was not an official product. You're not missing much Greg, the mixes were all fairly poor from what I remember!
I can't understand why anybody buys these bootlegs - and at such silly prices!

dVTB

#6 Post by dVTB »

Very Remixed is a bootleg featuring homemade mixes of Very album tracks. Basically, the remixer removed a lot of bass from the album versions and added his own basslines and beats... - One or two tracks sound nice, the rest is pretty poor. It's not something I would waste money on. Unfortunately I already did so, years ago.

Rusty

#7 Post by Rusty »

Nightclub (the bootleg remixes of Nightlife) was actually not too bad I thought. Well much better than the Very and Bilingual attempts at any rate. The version of Vampires on it is really quite haunting. Does anyone know if Mike Fiorenza had any input to this bootleg? There's an Elusive remix of Screaming on it. I must say I'm quite amazed at just how many bootlegs exist looking at that link. I only have a handful myself. I certainly can't understand why someone would pay 40 quid for one.

SIN

#8 Post by SIN »

Rusty wrote:Nightclub (the bootleg remixes of Nightlife) was actually not too bad I thought. Well much better than the Very and Bilingual attempts at any rate. The version of Vampires on it is really quite haunting. Does anyone know if Mike Fiorenza had any input to this bootleg? There's an Elusive remix of Screaming on it. I must say I'm quite amazed at just how many bootlegs exist looking at that link. I only have a handful myself. I certainly can't understand why someone would pay 40 quid for one.
Some bootleg mixes are better than official mixes and that goes for other bands as well. Some collectors love remixes and will obtain everything. Unfortunately that comes as a cost when you have below par remixes or audience recordings.

gregf

Ultra Hot Art Disc 4.

#9 Post by gregf »

When i was a newbie, I got this from Ebay US.

It was described as a DJ promo and I knew no better.

Ultra Hot Art Disc 4.

But actually, this introduced me to good remixes and some from this CD are still on Image
my playlists today.

Great links and info guys. Image

SIN

#10 Post by SIN »

Oh yeah art of mixes

not bad but not brilliant

Ulrich

#11 Post by Ulrich »

Total Recall in Germany has Very Remixed for €54.99. I've got it too (For sale) and it's true that most of the mixes aren't very good. But it's well designed and made, with many fine details, like "Neil & Chris" printed beside the centerhole on the data side.

I've recently put a bunch of bootlegs for sale on this forum, but I've only got a single member contact.

Maybe I should try E-Bay, if Very Remixed is worth 41£ :roll:

Joemoz

#12 Post by Joemoz »

I cannot understand why anyone would want to purchase bootlegs these days? Back in the day, it was often the only way to obtain certain tracks, but these days one might as well download a track for free, rather than actually pay money to somebody who sells other people's intellectual property. I simply don't get how there can still be a market for this.

Consequently, I don't see the need for a big list - if you have doubts as to whether something is real, check the discography instead. If it isn't there, you can be 99,9% certain that it is a bootleg of sorts.
It was a cough that carried him off. It was a coffin they carried him off in.

andmaste

#13 Post by andmaste »

the only *real good* bootlegs are Aurally 1/2/3
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it

MorganGrrl

#14 Post by MorganGrrl »

Rusty wrote:Nightclub (the bootleg remixes of Nightlife) was actually not too bad I thought. Well much better than the Very and Bilingual attempts at any rate. The version of Vampires on it is really quite haunting. Does anyone know if Mike Fiorenza had any input to this bootleg? There's an Elusive remix of Screaming on it. I must say I'm quite amazed at just how many bootlegs exist looking at that link. I only have a handful myself. I certainly can't understand why someone would pay 40 quid for one.
Mike's remix of Screaming appeared on his own remix compilation "Elusively...More Extended Versions and Remixes."

MorganGrrl
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think. ~Jack Handey

Ulrich

#15 Post by Ulrich »

Joemoz wrote:,Consequently, I don't see the need for a big list - if you have doubts as to whether something is real, check the discography instead. If it isn't there, you can be 99,9% certain that it is a bootleg of sorts.
Hello Joemoz

Is this a bootleg then or in the 00.1%?

"PET SHOP BOYS To Step Aside (Official 1997 US promo-only WEA 4-track 12" test pressing, includes Brutal's Mix, Quiet Mix, Ralph's Dub and Ospina Dub - all either unreleased or different to the released mixes! Printed studio labels - only 30 were made of this third, authentic, and final pressing, so seriously rare! DMD2412)."

This edition is not on the discography. The Speciality Records and a WEA white label are, but this is a third and different edition. That don't make it a bootleg so maybe the list isn't such a bad idea?

If someone here wants a list of bootleg records, then why not?