Gay Marriages?
- Young Offender
- Posts: 1294
- Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 3:34 pm
Gay Marriages?
There is a lot of controversy in the U.S. these days with the Mayor of San Francisco authorizing Gay Marriages, there have been Hundreds if not Thousands of Gay Marriages the last few weeks including Rosie O'Donnell and her Bride just last week, Other States have also started marrying Gay Couples.
Yet the Governor of California (Arnold S.) and the President of the U.S. is saying that it is not legal and Unconstitutional, and that Marriage is only between a Man and a Woman.
I'm curious to know if your Country or State allows for Legalized Gay Marriages? and your own Opinion and views.
Yet the Governor of California (Arnold S.) and the President of the U.S. is saying that it is not legal and Unconstitutional, and that Marriage is only between a Man and a Woman.
I'm curious to know if your Country or State allows for Legalized Gay Marriages? and your own Opinion and views.
- Pani
- Posts: 8208
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:51 am
- Contact:
- Pani
- Posts: 8208
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:51 am
- Contact:
- Young Offender
- Posts: 1294
- Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 3:34 pm
- Young Offender
- Posts: 1294
- Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 3:34 pm
- rags
- Posts: 735
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:23 pm
I don't know actually... What is the rule in the UK? I can see it being an issue here though... But it won't be said out loud in public, as that is not Political Correct. Actually, I think the issue now is whether or not gay couples should be allowed to have children.
As far as I know it was fully legalised in Holland when I left there.

As far as I know it was fully legalised in Holland when I left there.
Good!Paninaro-Dancer wrote:This is not exactly what I have meant ...
- Young Offender
- Posts: 1294
- Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 3:34 pm
Well here in the U.S. they allow gay couples to adopt children as well as that artificial thing they do and sorugate (spelling) mothers and the like.rags wrote:I don't know actually... What is the rule in the UK? I can see it being an issue here though... But it won't be said out loud in public, as that is not Political Correct. Actually, I think the issue now is whether or not gay couples should be allowed to have children.
As far as I know it was fully legalised in Holland when I left there.
Good!Paninaro-Dancer wrote:This is not exactly what I have meant ...
Gay marriage is still an issue with certain sectors of society, particularly the Conservative Party and bigots who read homophobic trash such as The Daily Mail and The Sun - I think with younger people, particularly those from a more open minded background, it is less and less of an issue.
Personally I am all in favour of it, it is ridiculous to prejudice against a certain group in society, the Religious arguments in particular are irrelevant in a country where something like 94% of the population do not regularly attend Church/other place of worship. Perhaps they should outlaw against people who get married for reasons such as money or that they fancy a 'big do' and all their mates are doing it.
Personally I am all in favour of it, it is ridiculous to prejudice against a certain group in society, the Religious arguments in particular are irrelevant in a country where something like 94% of the population do not regularly attend Church/other place of worship. Perhaps they should outlaw against people who get married for reasons such as money or that they fancy a 'big do' and all their mates are doing it.
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.
- BlueSwan
- Posts: 2636
- Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:42 pm
I'm absolutely 100% for gay marriages, and I like the way this poll is turning out so far!
But obviously there probably aren't many homophobes amongst PSB fans.
In Denmark gay marriages have been legal since 1989. However, gay couples still can't be wed in a church, although they may receive "blessing" from a priest, whatever that is.
In Denmark gay marriages have been legal since 1989. However, gay couples still can't be wed in a church, although they may receive "blessing" from a priest, whatever that is.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)
http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)
http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)
-
Lethe
The law is a concept - why can I have a baby but I can't take heroin?
So I say yes but really people should do what the f*ck they like.
I do think same sex people getting married is strange but only because I am conditioned to male-female marriage.
I am kind of into all that gothic love where you drink each other's blood - or is that vampires?
- so being married in the eyes of the law doesn't mean jack to me really.
But of course gay couples should have the same rights as straight couples.
And the age of consent should be the same too.
So I say yes but really people should do what the f*ck they like.
I do think same sex people getting married is strange but only because I am conditioned to male-female marriage.
I am kind of into all that gothic love where you drink each other's blood - or is that vampires?
But of course gay couples should have the same rights as straight couples.
And the age of consent should be the same too.
- amhilde
- Posts: 830
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 6:40 pm
- Contact:
Here in Nevada on the last election in 2000 we had the gay marriage thing on the ballot and it went 80/20 for the "family" people. I was pretty pissed, but thats what you get in this shithole state.
Im so happy that the SF people keep on doing this (and now i think Portland is in on the act too), and that its terribly ironic how the religious right want to "save the family institution and marriage"and yet want to bar the people who really DO want to be married from BEING married. What difference does it make? Who are they to decide whats right and whats wrong and who can be happy and equal and who cant be? That goes fundamentally against everything this country once stood for, and frankly i think the American people are about fed up with little Georgie playing president- the constitutional amendment thing is going too far.
And no, gay marriage is not yet available in the uK
And yes, i read the homophonic Sun and Mail, just for laughs- much prefer the Guardian 
Im so happy that the SF people keep on doing this (and now i think Portland is in on the act too), and that its terribly ironic how the religious right want to "save the family institution and marriage"and yet want to bar the people who really DO want to be married from BEING married. What difference does it make? Who are they to decide whats right and whats wrong and who can be happy and equal and who cant be? That goes fundamentally against everything this country once stood for, and frankly i think the American people are about fed up with little Georgie playing president- the constitutional amendment thing is going too far.
And no, gay marriage is not yet available in the uK
*with club sauce*
-
define psb
As a matter of Human Rights, I think every one should have the right to choose to marry whom-so-ever- they wish.
To prevent this from being 'legal' is silly! Working , albeit voluntary, in the 'area' that I do... I am appalled when, at the end of a clients life. their " 'long term parnter' " has an extra 'stress' to deal with. Not only do they have to come to terms with the loss of their loved one, but in too many cases there is the legal matter of WHO is entitled to the deceased persons Estate!
There really is a need for gay and lesbian relationships to have the exact same Rights as any other long term life partnership!
If that means the laws of some countries need to be ammended then so they should be.!!
But then there is the matter of Religious belief too! Surprisingly there are a lot of Gay and Lesbians in different denominations, and regularly attend their churches. And for that reason alone, I think it is up to the Law makers to make Gay/Lesbian marriage a possibility, and not a church based debating committee.
Better education would also help! Not just to teach children that a Norm is : Man +woman= Normal.
Homophobia tends to stem from a lack of information and knowledge. In some cases it is based on the fact that the Homophobe happens to have certain homosexual feelings, that they have been taught are perverted or WRONG!
Sorry this is a strong subject for me! I will shut up about it now!
To prevent this from being 'legal' is silly! Working , albeit voluntary, in the 'area' that I do... I am appalled when, at the end of a clients life. their " 'long term parnter' " has an extra 'stress' to deal with. Not only do they have to come to terms with the loss of their loved one, but in too many cases there is the legal matter of WHO is entitled to the deceased persons Estate!
There really is a need for gay and lesbian relationships to have the exact same Rights as any other long term life partnership!
If that means the laws of some countries need to be ammended then so they should be.!!
But then there is the matter of Religious belief too! Surprisingly there are a lot of Gay and Lesbians in different denominations, and regularly attend their churches. And for that reason alone, I think it is up to the Law makers to make Gay/Lesbian marriage a possibility, and not a church based debating committee.
Better education would also help! Not just to teach children that a Norm is : Man +woman= Normal.
Homophobia tends to stem from a lack of information and knowledge. In some cases it is based on the fact that the Homophobe happens to have certain homosexual feelings, that they have been taught are perverted or WRONG!
Sorry this is a strong subject for me! I will shut up about it now!
- Aaron
- Posts: 1068
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 2:20 pm
Marriage is a religious ceremony, normally. Two people joining hands in the eyes of God. If you can find a religion that accepts homosexuality and you wish to get married in their church, then go for it.
What I don't understand is WHY anyone would want to get married in a place where their lifestyle is not welcome. That's like me marrying a Catholic in a synogogue.
Now, the one thing I'm not educated on is if it's the state itself that's not issuing marriage certificates. If that's the case, than yes, you have my vote against that and for legalizing gay marriages. Any couple, regardless of sex should be able to purchase a marriage certificate. It's just a business for them anyway, they shouldn't care if a monkey and a rabbit come in, if they have the money, give them the certificate.
It's a joke, that anyone has the right to tell two people they can't be "legally" in love. A complete joke.
What do the drive thru Vegas Chapels think, will they marry gay couples?
What I don't understand is WHY anyone would want to get married in a place where their lifestyle is not welcome. That's like me marrying a Catholic in a synogogue.
Now, the one thing I'm not educated on is if it's the state itself that's not issuing marriage certificates. If that's the case, than yes, you have my vote against that and for legalizing gay marriages. Any couple, regardless of sex should be able to purchase a marriage certificate. It's just a business for them anyway, they shouldn't care if a monkey and a rabbit come in, if they have the money, give them the certificate.
It's a joke, that anyone has the right to tell two people they can't be "legally" in love. A complete joke.
What do the drive thru Vegas Chapels think, will they marry gay couples?