Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MD

Re: Reissues project

#2341 Post by MD » Wed 11 Jul 2018, 4:15 am

Jamesqdot wrote:
Tue 10 Jul 2018, 2:17 pm
This thread is 156 pages long now and I'm late to the party. I haven't ordered ANY of the new Further Listening editions either on vinyl or CD so far (call myself a fan?) because I'm deeply cynical about the quality based on the previous 2001 editions. Can anyone help or point to some posts in this thread with useful info please? Pretty please? I've tried searching around for this sort of info online generally and not found much.

I'd ideally like to hear the CD "remasters" for these before buying but some opinions on here would be almost as helpful. :)

I already have the 2001 Further Listening editions of all except Bilingual (which I just plain don't like, call myself a fan?) and for the most part they sound absolutely terrible compared with original releases and especially the Further Listening editions.

Compare how a b-side like 'Bet She's Not Your Girlfriend' sounds on the Further Listening set as opposed to its counterpart on Alternative and you can hear just how much the bass has been and volume have been boosted at the expense of everything else. The whole lot is consequently brick-walled to hell. It's like listening to the material underwater in comparison.

I'm actually more tempted by the vinyl reissues as I have very few PSB albums on vinyl, and those that I do are worn almost beyond recognition!
I can’t speak to the vinyl As I’m not a big fan of the format.

I own the 2001 remasters in CD format and have bought all of this last batch of remasters as well. I can tell you that there is a very distinct difference between the 2001 and 2018 remasters in CD format. The 2018 CDs have been remastered at a noticeably lower volume level. It’s not the difference between night and day but it is significant. I also notice the 2018 remasters to have better separation between the left and right channels and the vocals seem to be a bit higher in the mix to me. I have a decent stereo system and play the 2018 CDs very loud and am surprised at the details that I hear on these compared to the 2001 editions. I feel the new remasters have better dynamic range and are well worth the money. While I was pleased with the 2001 editions they were a little louder and muddier Then I preferred.

I’m particularly interested in hearing “Very” and “Behavior”. These were in my opinion the two least pleasing of the 2001 remasters. Very is an album in the “Wall of sound“ category and will probably benefit from the better separation in the left and right channels that the new remasters all seem to have. Behavior was lacking in the higher end of the sound spectrum, while the low end was far to deep and not punchy enuff.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Jamesqdot

#2342 Post by Jamesqdot » Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:08 am

MD wrote:
Wed 11 Jul 2018, 4:15 am
I own the 2001 remasters in CD format and have bought all of this last batch of remasters as well. I can tell you that there is a very distinct difference between the 2001 and 2018 remasters in CD format. The 2018 CDs have been remastered at a noticeably lower volume level. It’s not the difference between night and day but it is significant.
That's interesting, and promising actually. The loudness wars were still very much in effect in 2001.
MD wrote:
Wed 11 Jul 2018, 4:15 am
I also notice the 2018 remasters to have better separation between the left and right channels and the vocals seem to be a bit higher in the mix to me. I have a decent stereo system and play the 2018 CDs very loud and am surprised at the details that I hear on these compared to the 2001 editions. I feel the new remasters have better dynamic range and are well worth the money. While I was pleased with the 2001 editions they were a little louder and muddier Then I preferred.
Without banging on about it, I too have a decent hi-fi system, and I've just invested in a new Rega Saturn-R (probably the last CD player I will ever buy) as after selling off all my other CD players, I found myself rather missing them, even though I have vinyl counterparts to much of my collection.

The lack of dynamic range is what I was chiefly worried about, as you can hear just how limited it is on some of the 2001 remasters. Introspective suffered very badly from this, and yes, I think possibly Behaviour too. Very was always so in-your-face I'd forgotten how it originally sounded. :D

I might grab a copy of Introspective first and see how it compares. Believe it or not, I never owned an original CD version of Introspective until the 2001 remaster!

Thanks very much for the info!

psbnyc

#2343 Post by psbnyc » Mon 16 Jul 2018, 7:47 pm

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but: it looks like Very on vinyl will be 2LPs whereas Behaviour and Bilingual will be single LP only. It doesn't list Very that way on the official site but when you look at Amazon and other websites, Very is listed as 2LP. I wonder why - Bilingual is actually slightly longer (54 minutes)?

Wouldn't it be great if they included Relentless (just dreaming....).

y3potential

#2344 Post by y3potential » Mon 16 Jul 2018, 9:12 pm

psbnyc wrote:
Mon 16 Jul 2018, 7:47 pm
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but: it looks like Very on vinyl will be 2LPs whereas Behaviour and Bilingual will be single LP only. It doesn't list Very that way on the official site but when you look at Amazon and other websites, Very is listed as 2LP. I wonder why - Bilingual is actually slightly longer (54 minutes)?

Wouldn't it be great if they included Relentless (just dreaming....).
Yes, that would be a fabulous surprise. :dance: It must be an error though, purely because the pricing is the same as the single vinyl re-releases. I can only assume including Relentless would double the price of the Very vinyl release to around £35.
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

Greendrake

#2345 Post by Greendrake » Mon 16 Jul 2018, 9:59 pm

y3potential wrote:
Mon 16 Jul 2018, 9:12 pm
Yes, that would be a fabulous surprise. :dance: It must be an error though, purely because the pricing is the same as the single vinyl re-releases.
I actually bet that is the case — the second vinyl must be Relentless. They can't make the price higher unless they offer one-vinyl Very as well. So Relentless 2018 hopefully!

retrofuturist

#2346 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 2:20 am

It's showing as a 2LP set at https://www.wowhd.com.au/very-2018-rema ... 0295823085 with a higher price than the other two.

Interesting... will watch and see.

Parkol

#2348 Post by Parkol » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 10:42 am

I think it's a mistake. If they relaese 2 vinyl discs they would write it on the Official site.

One of the crowd

#2349 Post by One of the crowd » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 10:58 am

It’s pressed on two LPs so it can include the 4 minutes of silence then Postscript
One of the crowd has left the building

Bulldog

#2350 Post by Bulldog » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 12:38 pm

If it includes Relentless surely they would have mentioned it, wouldn't they? The original recording is so layered it probably needs 2 discs in order to sound better. And possible sound quality issues on such a recording might be the reason why they left it as the final release of the set.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

df118junkie

#2351 Post by df118junkie » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 5:13 pm

It's specifically stating 'Double Vinyl' on Amazon.com, and the cost is $7 higher.

TG

#2352 Post by TG » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 6:23 pm

It states on my Amazon.co.uk pre-order that Very is a 2 disc release however the track listing is just for Very, not Relentless. I've just checked the OS Shop as well and Very is 6 tracks per side on vinyl, as i was thinking possibly 3 tracks per side which would be 2x vinyl. This unfortunately has to be a mistake.

Page Hall City Boy

#2353 Post by Page Hall City Boy » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 10:10 pm

i seem to remeber some interview and they mentioned that relentless wasnt coming but may come later, i wonder if they view it as more of a 'Disco' style album

ZiggyPSB

#2354 Post by ZiggyPSB » Tue 24 Jul 2018, 8:07 pm

Just for reference, the David Bowie estate announced the latest boxset collection covering Lets Dance through to Never Let Me Down. One of the albums in the collection, a 2018 re-interpretation of Never Let Me Down, is a double-LP compared to the 1987 remastered original which is a single LP.

Never Let Me Down (2018) is actually going to be a three-sided LP, because the fourth side of the second disc is just going to be etched.

So maybe Very is going to have content on 3 sides instead of 4? The fourth side will probably have at least absolutely nothing on it. Think Vinyl Factory's Electric boxset which on the other side of Vocal was completely blank.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

retrofuturist

#2355 Post by retrofuturist » Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:55 am

Greetings,
ZiggyPSB wrote:
Tue 24 Jul 2018, 8:07 pm
So maybe Very is going to have content on 3 sides instead of 4? The fourth side will probably have at least absolutely nothing on it.
It would be cute if it just had Postscript on it.

Retro. :)