Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Festival concerts saved PSB's career and give them a Pop Legends status

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
nickname

Festival concerts saved PSB's career and give them a Pop Legends status

#1 Post by nickname » Tue 10 Jul 2018, 8:40 pm

It's funny to see the way PSB were involved in the best music festivals of the world these last two decades, remembering the way they rejected going on tour in the early days.

They have been really successful at that point because I think public eye considers they are Pop Legends. But I think it's because there are some many people who have watched them in the headline of so many festivals, being in the press and of course, taking part of their shows. I don't believe they had been what they are now only with the successful Imperial Phase.

In fact, I don't think PSB had so much recognition in 2000. They could sell more albums but in general, I don't think they had the status of legend they have now. At least, it's my impression.

In my opinion, a high point was a show like Pandemonium. It worked really good in festivals (the tour was great too), they were called almost everywhere because of this show. Es Devlin did such a good job, eveybody was happy watching it, very creative and youthful. It made Electric a successful tour too, people wanted more.

They even play in places they've never been before, so they are even a more global pop group. Not many artist can say they are known everywhere and I think PSB can say that.

Propertius

Re: Festival concerts saved PSB's career and give them a Pop Legends status

#2 Post by Propertius » Thu 12 Jul 2018, 7:11 am

Yes, and they played their first festival, Roskilde, only because they needed money to balance out the Savoy shows. They seem to have enjoyed festivals more than they expected to, and they must have realized that the money would make it possible to keep doing whatever else they wanted to do.

The brilliant thing was that they had never gone away and didn’t have to revive their career with an ‘80s nostalgia tour. They just chose exactly the right moment to switch from being a coverage-worthy, if fading, chart act act to being live legends. They probably couldn’t have done it much earlier, when they were still too current to be seen as living legends.

That said, I do think the biggest misstep of their career was not touring the U.S. in the ‘80s, at the height of the chart success in America. A few sold-out shows in LA would have set them up well for when their radio success in the US ended in the early ‘90s. U.S. live audiences, even in the early ‘90s, were less interested in what was trendy (grunge, for example) than radio tastemakers.

Shopper

#3 Post by Shopper » Thu 12 Jul 2018, 9:53 am

waiting for some asian dates for SUPER..come on PSB
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Flaffer

#4 Post by Flaffer » Thu 12 Jul 2018, 11:17 am

Shopper wrote:waiting for some asian dates for SUPER..come on PSB
Me too, my sister lives in Singapore so was hoping to kill two birds with one stone
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

nickname

#5 Post by nickname » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 9:48 pm

Propertius wrote: They just chose exactly the right moment to switch from being a coverage-worthy, if fading, chart act act to being live legends. They probably couldn’t have done it much earlier, when they were still too current to be seen as living legends.
That's true and at that time, festival were not as successful as now. There are plenty music festivals around the world right now but not in the 90's. I think they climbed the wave in just the perfect time to do that.

troysayshi

#6 Post by troysayshi » Sat 14 Jul 2018, 1:08 am

SIngapore, Asia. I’d rather see Twice, Red Velvet.