Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

I saw Neil today

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
PopArt
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun 28 Dec 2003, 5:18 pm
Contact:

I saw Neil today

#1 Post by PopArt » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 8:33 pm

He was walking down Lambs Conduit Street in London at about 2pm this afternoon. Dressed in black jeans, (very) shiny shoes and a black hoodie he was with an older lady who was pulling a wheely case. I assumed it was a relative or friend who had come to see the show last night but realistically who knows. He was walking in the direction of Kings Cross & St Pancras. I decided against saying anything partly because I was having lunch with my wife and she may not have approved but also because he was clearly 'off' and the last thing he needed was me rabbiting on about how brilliant I think PSB are.

In another PSB related coincidence about ten minutes later a man and a women walked down the same road both wearing matching grey PSB Summer Tour t-shirts also with a wheely case! If they had been a few minutes earlier they would have seen Neil.

It is now the fourth time I have randomly seen Neil somewhere in London. The first two times- in 2001 and 2006- I went up to him and spoke to him but the last two times (2016 and now 2018) I haven't. I must be getting shy in my old age ;)
I'm always waiting...

User avatar
Marie loves PSB
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun 27 May 2007, 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#2 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

You were really lucky to have seen Neil. :D That was a shame you couldn't have gone up to him and say "hello". But I do not blame you if Neil was "off". When I first met PSB at a book signing many years ago Neil was really "off" and totally ruined it/put me off to be honest.

That was really weird that two other fans were not far behind.

If you ever see Neil again and he is not "off" you must go and speak to him. If I had the opportunity I would have had to say something (even after my not great experience).

User avatar
ArtHist
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue 13 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#3 Post by ArtHist » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

Well spotted! I'd avoid ever approaching a celeb on the street or in such an environment.

User avatar
psbfannyc
Posts: 749
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#4 Post by psbfannyc » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 10:49 pm

PopArt wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 8:33 pm
He was walking down Lambs Conduit Street in London at about 2pm this afternoon. Dressed in black jeans, (very) shiny shoes and a black hoodie he was with an older lady who was pulling a wheely case. I assumed it was a relative or friend who had come to see the show last night but realistically who knows. He was walking in the direction of Kings Cross & St Pancras. I decided against saying anything partly because I was having lunch with my wife and she may not have approved but also because he was clearly 'off' and the last thing he needed was me rabbiting on about how brilliant I think PSB are.

In another PSB related coincidence about ten minutes later a man and a women walked down the same road both wearing matching grey PSB Summer Tour t-shirts also with a wheely case! If they had been a few minutes earlier they would have seen Neil.

It is now the fourth time I have randomly seen Neil somewhere in London. The first two times- in 2001 and 2006- I went up to him and spoke to him but the last two times (2016 and now 2018) I haven't. I must be getting shy in my old age ;)
"partly because I was having lunch with my wife and she may not have approved"...HA!!!!!!!!!!!! So funny!!! "she may not have approved"..." Don't let anyone hold you back when having an original PSB moment in your life. Hopefully you understand what I am mentioning here. If not...too bad for you! Good luck!

User avatar
spooky
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2003, 10:47 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#5 Post by spooky » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 4:48 am

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm
You were really lucky to have seen Neil. :D That was a shame you couldn't have gone up to him and say "hello". But I do not blame you if Neil was "off". When I first met PSB at a book signing many years ago Neil was really "off" and totally ruined it/put me off to be honest.

... this is why i have no real interest in meeting famous people in general. yeah i admire them(actors/musicians) for what they do, but what if they turn out to be not so nice as people. i'm not saying that Neil isn't a nice guy, but everyone is allowed to have an "off" day. unfortunately as fans, we don't know what kind a day it is for them until approached. i bought a meet & greet pass for a PSB show years ago. the same day of the show, i sold it because i didn't want to meet them that way.

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#6 Post by daveid » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 10:24 am

I've seen hundreds of famous people since mOving to the UK as a kid and I would never approach them. The only time I speak to them is when they're customers and I'm serving them at work (there are lots of luvvies around the Barnes/East Sheen area darling!)

User avatar
ArtHist
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue 13 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#7 Post by ArtHist » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 12:59 pm

daveid wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 10:24 am
I've seen hundreds of famous people since mOving to the UK as a kid and I would never approach them. The only time I speak to them is when they're customers and I'm serving them at work (there are lots of luvvies around the Barnes/East Sheen area darling!)
It wasn't so long ago that the likes of Holly Willoughby would be asking "and would you like fries with that". She's a Barnes lass. Yeah I'd be very reluctant to speak to a 'celeb'.

User avatar
rashomon
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#8 Post by rashomon » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 2:28 pm

Reminds me of the chance meeting I had with Neil last year while crossing Waterloo Bridge.

I did take the opportunity to have a few words with him and happy to say it was a great experience.

I probably would be more hesitant in approaching him if he was in a restaurant situation though.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

User avatar
Pod
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed 27 May 2015, 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#9 Post by Pod » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 5:16 pm

rashomon wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 2:28 pm
Reminds me of the chance meeting I had with Neil last year while crossing Waterloo Bridge.

I did take the opportunity to have a few words with him and happy to say it was a great experience.

I probably would be more hesitant in approaching him if he was in a restaurant situation though.
This ^^^^^^^^^

If it was a restaurant or obviously a time he is with others I wouldn’t, but on his own in passing - yeah why not?
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

dio2005
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2006, 1:36 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#10 Post by dio2005 » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 1:27 am

Ive met the boys three times at meet and greets at the US concerts and they have always been very nice and friendly and are happy to sign things for you. Strangely I find Chris is always the chattier one and they always manage to make you feel special and are very appreciative of the support they have from their fans.

User avatar
Marie loves PSB
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun 27 May 2007, 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#11 Post by Marie loves PSB » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 8:19 am

spooky wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 4:48 am
Marie loves PSB wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm
You were really lucky to have seen Neil. :D That was a shame you couldn't have gone up to him and say "hello". But I do not blame you if Neil was "off". When I first met PSB at a book signing many years ago Neil was really "off" and totally ruined it/put me off to be honest.

... this is why i have no real interest in meeting famous people in general. yeah i admire them(actors/musicians) for what they do, but what if they turn out to be not so nice as people. i'm not saying that Neil isn't a nice guy, but everyone is allowed to have an "off" day. unfortunately as fans, we don't know what kind a day it is for them until approached. i bought a meet & greet pass for a PSB show years ago. the same day of the show, i sold it because i didn't want to meet them that way.
That is such a shame you felt you had to sell your meet and greet pass spooky but, I now can see why you did. It has taken me until "middle age" to work out that everyone has an "off" day and all are entitled to one.


If I had a chance to meet Neil and Chris again I certainly would. I may not get the chance ever again. If I saw them in the Street I would have to say something but, I wouldn't like to bother anyone in a restaurant etc...
Last edited by Marie loves PSB on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Marie loves PSB
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun 27 May 2007, 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#12 Post by Marie loves PSB » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 8:24 am

daveid wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 10:24 am
I've seen hundreds of famous people since mOving to the UK as a kid and I would never approach them. The only time I speak to them is when they're customers and I'm serving them at work (there are lots of luvvies around the Barnes/East Sheen area darling!)
You would be fine daveid - with the sense of humour you have got. You make me laugh on here may times. :lol: Quite a few of you do. :up:

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#13 Post by daveid » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 10:08 am

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Tue 31 Jul 2018, 8:24 am
daveid wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 10:24 am
I've seen hundreds of famous people since mOving to the UK as a kid and I would never approach them. The only time I speak to them is when they're customers and I'm serving them at work (there are lots of luvvies around the Barnes/East Sheen area darling!)
You would be fine daveid - with the sense of humour you have got. You make me laugh on here may times. :lol: Quite a few of you do. :up:
That's kind. I do try to make people laugh. Which reminds me of the famous Bob monkhouse joke -

When I used to tell people I wanted to be a comedian, everybody used to laugh. They're not laughing now.

User avatar
raggatwin
Posts: 3780
Joined: Thu 18 Dec 2003, 5:31 pm
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#14 Post by raggatwin » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 2:25 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 12:59 pm
daveid wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 10:24 am
I've seen hundreds of famous people since mOving to the UK as a kid and I would never approach them. The only time I speak to them is when they're customers and I'm serving them at work (there are lots of luvvies around the Barnes/East Sheen area darling!)
It wasn't so long ago that the likes of Holly Willoughby would be asking "and would you like fries with that". She's a Barnes lass. Yeah I'd be very reluctant to speak to a 'celeb'.

She's from Barnes? Clearly mockney then...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

User avatar
goughsjd
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri 08 Oct 2010, 5:50 pm
Contact:

Re: I saw Neil today

#15 Post by goughsjd » Wed 01 Aug 2018, 7:06 am

I would probably wouldn’t have gone as I’m sure I’d turn into a bimbling idiot !! But at the same time I very much doubt he would have been rude / obnoxious to you if you would have !
Wolverhampton Civic '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Covent Garden ‘18

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alig and 7 guests

cron