Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Are we content ?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Actually

Are we content ?

#1 Post by Actually » Sat 04 Aug 2018, 8:31 pm

Not trying to make this sound a downer but have you been, are you or will you ever be content with the catalogue of Pet Shop Boys?
I for one would love to see them continue to do what they do best for the foreseeable future but realistically the time will come when Chris unplugs his keyboard & Neil his laptop of lyrics for good.
If say, they decided to call it a day after the current leg of the Super tour (even though a third album with Stuart Price is on the agenda) would you be pleased to the point where the boys have given us all they could or is there something else you feel they can offer us?
What if they had quit after Discography? Eighteen hit singles, would that have been enough? Of course we would have known no different and eighteen singles is more than a lot of the 80's bands mustered up.
1999/2000 was a period where it could have all gone pear shaped due to the problems with the promoter for the Nightlife Tour.
I am loving the reissues (more so for the Vinyls) but as a die hard fan since West End Girls came on the scene are we just going through the motions? I think not....I believe Neil & Chris have a lot more to offer but on the flip side do we really need another season or two of Super tours? Great show ( seen it twice at ROH & Henley Festival) but are they thinking ahead of a new album & tour or just content with making the Super era last as long as possible.

Long winded I know, but basically, how far in their career would you have been contented with?
I'm too weak to be strong

rashomon

Re: Are we content ?

#2 Post by rashomon » Sat 04 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

This is a really interesting topic Actually.

I would be content... 13 studio albums, several remix and spin off works, live albums, countless remixes and stunning live shows. An amazing body of work that sustains an incredibly high quality level through 30 plus years.

I say I would be content but deep down I really would not be. I'm always looking forward to their next album.... to wallow and savour, to criticise, to define the next period of time in my life and of course to repeatedly enjoy the couple of legendary-level tracks that seem to come with each album.

Edit : I also believe that they still have a lot left in the locker and will throw a few surprises along the way.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

jules

#3 Post by jules » Sat 04 Aug 2018, 10:23 pm

I'm sure there's a lot of new stuff coming before they retire. I feel like the trilogy is not the end at all. They would make at least another album and tell the fan it would be the last one.
julien676.skyblog.com

psblefrere

#4 Post by psblefrere » Sat 04 Aug 2018, 10:44 pm

Well I spoke to Neil outside the Royal opera house and when I asked whether we could expect a new album next spring, he said more likely next autumn and then went on to say they’ve recorded 22 new songs. So it seems there still pretty prolific.

Pod

#5 Post by Pod » Sat 04 Aug 2018, 11:10 pm

psblefrere wrote:
Sat 04 Aug 2018, 10:44 pm
Well I spoke to Neil outside the Royal opera house and when I asked whether we could expect a new album next spring, he said more likely next autumn and then went on to say they’ve recorded 22 new songs. So it seems there still pretty prolific.
An Autumn album? Hmm - likely a Behaviour or Elysium then?

In answer to your question, I don’t think true fans are ever content - we always want more boundary pushing, can’t wait to hear the next direction they go in sonically, what collaboration, performance.... you name it. We are spoiled as fans with such a body of work - that’s why we are never content.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

greenmile

#6 Post by greenmile » Sat 04 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm

Pod wrote:
Sat 04 Aug 2018, 11:10 pm

In answer to your question, I don’t think true fans are ever content - we always want more boundary pushing, can’t wait to hear the next direction they go in sonically, what collaboration, performance.... you name it. We are spoiled as fans with such a body of work - that’s why we are never content.
I'm sure hardcore Beatles or Led Zeppelin or Rolling Stones fans still want more releases from all of them. You only have to look at the sheer number of Beatles bootlegs featuring every possible minor different version of all their songs that are out there to see the demand.

Greendrake

#7 Post by Greendrake » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 1:32 am

Certainly content with what they have done and that they keep going. Discontent with what they could easily have done but so far chosen not to, including but not limited to:
  • ICHH DVD/Blueray
  • Relentless remaster
  • Battleship Potemkin matching the film length
  • Instrumental versions of everything they release
  • Filming/recording of the Teenage Cancer Trust show

jasonjohn

#8 Post by jasonjohn » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 1:56 am

I'm expecting another Super-style fun release, for sure. It's so easy for them to do.

But I feel like Neil may be building up a few Behaviour/Fundy/Elysium tracks for a more formative/substantial release. It'd be what they save their energy for.

Also, I fully expect their last album to be two discs...... showing their split personality..... it'd be a great sendoff...... but I think it'd come after they are forced to slow down in some way.

SynthMan Wales

#9 Post by SynthMan Wales » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 7:35 am

Some of my favourite PSB tracks date from their very late period (The Dictator Decides, After The Event...) so I think there is still juice in their creative tanks.

Having said that, I do think in terms of overall quality control, we have seen diminishing returns since the Nightlife era and my own fandom has waxed and waned accordingly, so I think I would be decidedly neutral if they called it quits tomorrow.

I think there is tons of stuff potentially in the vaults or previously released stuff that needs re-compiling that I would be interested in buying or acquiring (1989 tour on Blu Ray, third party remixes of their stuff on Streaming services) but whether that is commercially viable for them or their record labels is another matter.

Bulldog

#10 Post by Bulldog » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 7:58 am

Once they stop I hope there'll be regular archival releases over time, even if it means scraping the bottom of the barrel a little. I don't like the idea of a sudden "this is it, nothing more".
Last edited by Bulldog on Sun 05 Aug 2018, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

leesmapman

#11 Post by leesmapman » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 8:04 am

Very content. PSB have put out high-quality albums and next to that, they are very prolific. What more can you ask for?

ScruffyStorms

#12 Post by ScruffyStorms » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 9:34 am

I hope they carry on for many years to come, but I would also not blame them if they wanted to call it a day. Many people of their age are living a quiet retired life and not jetting round the world playing gigs every night! I'm just grateful that they're still going. If the ROH gigs turn out to be the last time I saw them, then it ended on a high!

(But I definitely hope for more gigs to come :))
Scruffy Storms - Gigs, the musicverse and everything

daveid

#13 Post by daveid » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 9:45 am

I won't be content til they've amassed at least 12 bootleg series and scraped the barrel so low there are wood shavings everywhere. Particularly looking forward to Volume 13- The Studio Arguments 1981-2011

Neil: Youre not very creative today are you Chris and we've been here five hours.

Chris: Thats coz youre standing over me absorbing all my creative powers.

Neil: What there is of it...

Chris: Neil why don't you piss off to the loo for 5 minutes so I can have an epiphany?

Neil: You do and you clean it up yourself.

Chris: That's so witty. Shame you can't be as witty in your songwriting instead of banging on and on about dead dictators and obscure Russian playwrights.

Neil:Well it's better than your shallow hedonism and dull ordinary problems. I mean "OOh I'm feeling really horny" and "Youre telling me all these lies and you thought I didn't know". Hardly Shakespeare is it Mr Lowe?"

Chris: You're such a poncey show off aren't you? Just as long as you've got enough clever quotes to impress Derek and Lisa you're OK. No wonder Elton thinks you're a pain in the arse.

Neil: That's a f***ing load of b*ll*cks you talentless t*sser

Chris: OOH get you! Is that Mr long-lost Geordie coming in from the cold? Not so erudite now are we? Was that cultured and clever enough for you Neil? E-roo-DITE?

Neil: Behind that cheeky smile you're an extraordinarily rude young man aren't you Chris? And you're a liar. Elton and I are like that. It's you who he can't stand. One minute you're sitting there eating a ham sandwich, next thing you're asleep on the sofa with crumbs everywhere when Elton is half way through telling you about his nuptials with David.

Chris: He likes it when I do that

Neil: Rubbish. You should hear what he says about you when you're asleep.. Oh no let me guess coz you "knew all along".

Chris: I'm warning you Neil. One more attack on me and I am going to join Squeeze. They say they're ready for their 25th member.

Neil: You're a member all right

Chris: You FOOKIN-

( indistinct studio clattering, discordant keyboard sounds and loud bangs)

Neil: OK from the top?

Chris: Yup.

Neil: "I know you lied...but I was feeling very horny...and I know you tried...but it sounded kinda corny"

Chris: Now THAT'S Shakespeare!

Marie loves PSB

#14 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 10:41 am

Well, to be honest we have done so well with being Pet Shop Boys fans! As one of their songs says "We both made a little go a very long way" (If I remember that right). I have literary been lucky enough to have grown up with them from the age of 11 and now err... middle age. :oops:

We should make the real most of it as "Number One" magazine once quoted that Pet Shop Boys would quit in 1987 and Bros will go on forever. That has always been on my mind.

I really did enjoy some of the Super Concerts and thought they were ace but, I think they should put them to bed now lol.. Too much of a good thing.

I am so glad to have been into a group that has lasted as long as they have done - we should be very, very grateful for that. To be honest the last couple of years I have been waiting for the dreaded news that they are going to quit/retire. It will be very upsetting but, I would respect it as no one can go on forever.

Please make the very most of Pet Shop Boys whilst, they are still here and if you happen to be reading this Neil and Chris - Thank you for the music! :D :up:

SynthMan Wales

#15 Post by SynthMan Wales » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 11:04 am

I would like them to certainly control or shape an intended final work, because I think it would be artistically satisfying for long term fans and (probably) PSB themselves.

In part, I think of how good Bowie's Blackstar was in this regard, although I hope PSB's equivalent would be triggered by non-tragic circumstances.