The New Album Info Thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
y3potential

Re: The New Album Info Thread

#361 Post by y3potential » Fri 29 Nov 2019, 1:50 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri 29 Nov 2019, 3:01 am
Greetings,

(Apologies if this is old news... I don't have time to check just now)

2019 – xxxxxx
On January xx, “Monkey business”, the third new song from the forthcoming Pet Shop Boys album, is released. Their first version of the song had been written in the Super era. The chorus existed first; the verses came later, inspired by Neil imagining what Mick Jagger might sing if this were a Rolling Stones song. “We actually did the demo with Stuart Price in Hansa,” says Neil, “and suddenly the whole thing was rocking.” “I would never have thought it was going to end up this good,” adds Chris. “We’ve actually written,” Neil concludes, “almost for the first time in our career, a groove song.”

---
Retro. :)

Where did you get the information that Monkey Business will be the third single from Hotspot..? Edit (Don't worry. Just seen your other thread..)
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

glennjridge

#362 Post by glennjridge » Sat 30 Nov 2019, 2:00 am

They written tons of groove songs. to me, a groove song is basically a song that consists of pretty much one strong groove repeating with different melodys over it.
a good example would be "How I learned to hate rock and roll", "Vocal" "how can you expect to be taken seriously" "Discoteca" Love etc" and well "groovy"

NikacP0kac

#363 Post by NikacP0kac » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 8:20 am

So, just to sort of "brag"..

I'll probably be in London for a pre-Brexit holiday, from January 20th until the 24th. Can't wait to buy this in a record store over there on Friday, it will feel so authentic (somehow) . 😁
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Nicholas

#364 Post by Nicholas » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 10:48 am

NikacP0kac wrote:
Sun 01 Dec 2019, 8:20 am

I'll probably be in London for a pre-Brexit holiday, from January 20th until the 24th. Can't wait to buy this in a record store over there on Friday, it will feel so authentic (somehow) . 😁
Good luck finding one of London’s few remaining endangered record stores!

nickname

#365 Post by nickname » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 12:32 pm

glennjridge wrote:
Sat 30 Nov 2019, 2:00 am
They written tons of groove songs. to me, a groove song is basically a song that consists of pretty much one strong groove repeating with different melodys over it.
a good example would be "How I learned to hate rock and roll", "Vocal" "how can you expect to be taken seriously" "Discoteca" Love etc" and well "groovy"
Thank you, I was looking for the meaning of "groove" and the way a groove song could sound. It's obvious the chorus has to be very catchy but the song couldn't work.

According to the info, the song became stronger step by step. At the beginning, they didn't see on it a very good song and now it looks like it is going to beo the main single from the album.
Last edited by nickname on Tue 03 Dec 2019, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NikacP0kac

#366 Post by NikacP0kac » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Sun 01 Dec 2019, 10:48 am
NikacP0kac wrote:

Maybe they'll do something special again, like those Super pop-up shops. *fingers crossed*
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Nicholas

#367 Post by Nicholas » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 2:39 pm

NikacP0kac wrote:
Sun 01 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm
Nicholas wrote:
Sun 01 Dec 2019, 10:48 am
NikacP0kac wrote:

Maybe they'll do something special again, like those Super pop-up shops. *fingers crossed*
I would LOVE that! It was freezing that morning last time and it felt like it took forever for the thing to open but worth it to get one of the prints.

retrofuturist

#368 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 03 Dec 2019, 9:02 am

Greetings,

My source says of the new album, "It's not exciting me. But it's not horrid either".

Have asked for any hints on the style of each track... will see if/when he comes back with something.

(For context, he's a pretty good judge, IMO, of recent PSB releases... being thrilled by Electric, finding Super superficial, and having pleasant and positive words to say about Elysium and Format).

This is in keeping with my prediction that the new album will be better than Super, but not as good as Electric.

Disco.

#369 Post by Disco. » Tue 03 Dec 2019, 11:04 am

Well I love Super ! So, if its better fantastic ! 😊

nickname

#370 Post by nickname » Tue 03 Dec 2019, 1:15 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 03 Dec 2019, 9:02 am
Greetings,

My source says of the new album, "It's not exciting me. But it's not horrid either".

Have asked for any hints on the style of each track... will see if/when he comes back with something.

(For context, he's a pretty good judge, IMO, of recent PSB releases... being thrilled by Electric, finding Super superficial, and having pleasant and positive words to say about Elysium and Format).

This is in keeping with my prediction that the new album will be better than Super, but not as good as Electric.

It matches with the idea I expect from the new album.

No single potential, it's not commercial either (even in a PSB way). It's only to enjoy with the journey.

And for the tour, just the opposite.

That's why they don't include songs from the album in the show.

psbfannyc

#371 Post by psbfannyc » Tue 03 Dec 2019, 1:54 pm

nickname wrote:
Tue 03 Dec 2019, 1:15 pm
retrofuturist wrote:
Greetings,

No single potential, it's not commercial either (even in a PSB way). It's only to enjoy with the journey.

I wonder...that since this is their "Berlin album"...according to Neil...if they will do a promo concert here in Berlin in January 2020 (like they did for Elysium) playing the album? Here is hoping...

nickname

#372 Post by nickname » Tue 03 Dec 2019, 3:43 pm

psbfannyc wrote:
Tue 03 Dec 2019, 1:54 pm
nickname wrote:
Tue 03 Dec 2019, 1:15 pm
retrofuturist wrote:
Greetings,

I wonder...that since this is their "Berlin album"...according to Neil...if they will do a promo concert here in Berlin in January 2020 (like they did for Elysium) playing the album? Here is hoping...
Yes, it is a good option. But they were not playing a GH live in concert at that time.

jules

#373 Post by jules » Tue 03 Dec 2019, 5:28 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Greetings,

Pretty good for the new album, as super was much better for me than electric.
julien676.skyblog.com

Effen Vida

#374 Post by Effen Vida » Thu 05 Dec 2019, 10:52 am

I’ve heard the album four and a half times through.
Just waiting to hear if I’m allowed to share my thoughts. If I can, I will.

And I’m very excited to do so.

Tom Angel

#375 Post by Tom Angel » Thu 05 Dec 2019, 11:13 am

wow - really? Sounds promising...
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls