PSB Newbie

New members introduce yourself or just say hi here. The answers to Frequently Asked Questions live here too.
scienceguy

PSB Newbie

#1 Post by scienceguy »

Am an American senior who was 11 years old when Neil was born. Avatar is me in the 80s living in LA and listening to a radio station with the call letters KROQ, which, I believe was in Pasadena. Thereafter, music interests varied from Doo Wop and, now, New Generation Doo Wop, Willie Nelson, and, forever, Frank Sinatra, especially Frank in the 1940s. Check Willie's "Always on My Mind" vs. PSB version. It's a stunning contrast.

Only in the last month did I revisit PSB. I believe Pop Kids was on a playlist. I searched PSB and clicked on a You Tube vid of "It's a Sin". I noted hits in the millions. Not surprising why. Gave me chills. Have been exploring ever since. This is exquisite power poetry. Makes me happy. Favorite concert is Mexico City Cubism.

Hope I'm not to old to participate on the forum. Will put PSB on my Bucket List.
Myself pictured in Silverlake, Los Angeles, June, 1986. Debut PSB album Please in March, 1986. Long live the 80s zeitgeist.

Marie loves PSB

Re: PSB Newbie

#2 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Welcome to the forum! You are not too old btw! We are of all ages on here. :mrgreen:

Future Lover

#3 Post by Future Lover »

Welcome! This is so heartwarming! I'm sort of on the opposite side of the spectrum, born after their #1 singles, and I'm glad we can all enjoy the loveliness of their music.

scienceguy

#4 Post by scienceguy »

Thanks Marie loves PSB and Future lover for caring enough to reply. I like to read the comments on You Tube following vocal/vid postings. Looks like many of the quirky, eclectic, wonderful old (but not really old) singles were made for MTV. One comment was from a person who called himself a 67-year-old grandfather who was dragged to a PSB San Diego concert by, I guess, his grandchildren, but came out a thrilled PSB convert. I look at the longevity of the duo and the faces in the concert crowds, and I see B boomers to Gen X, coming of age just about the mid-80s, the GEN Y (echo boomer Millennials), and I guess now GEN Z. This is a testament to the compelling artistry.
Myself pictured in Silverlake, Los Angeles, June, 1986. Debut PSB album Please in March, 1986. Long live the 80s zeitgeist.

East End Girl

#5 Post by East End Girl »

Hello scienceguy, and a warm welcome from another newbie.

It's great to have you here. Age doesn't matter at all, it's an advantage, because it makes this forum a lot more interesting.
I guess we are all quite different here, different ages (I was 13 when West End Girls was released), come from different countries (I'm from Germany), and have different opinions (Well yes, I'm one of those who love Elysium and Winner 8) ).

You obviously have a great taste of music, so you're in the right place.
Enjoy your time here!

spooky

#6 Post by spooky »

KROQ was at it's best in the 80's! welcome to the forum!

Pod

#7 Post by Pod »

Welcome to the mad house!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

scienceguy

#8 Post by scienceguy »

Thanks again to those who posted. Spooky seems to know LA. I lived in Hollywood, and when Soft Cell came to town, I attended their concert. Trying to move to the discussion thread and if my first Comparison post is accepted, look for it.