Why vinyl? My first PSB-CD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

Why vinyl? My first PSB-CD

#1 Post by telys » Wed 15 May 2019, 8:59 am

I really wanted to get Agenda on CD but now that format seems to be sold out. I know Agenda is available on vinyl still but I'm not a vinyl person, having experienced the nightmare of vinyl in the '80s and embraced the CD-format wholeheartedly.

My first PSB release on CD was DJ Culture maxi single. After that came Discography and Was it worth it. I had of course all the albums on vinyl before that. Remember when I tried to buy It's a sin 12'' vinyl in a local store. Walking back home I found a huge bulge on the record. That's what it was like - the vinyl couldn't take heat... couldn't take you jumping and dancing around the player, all those scratches and cuts and deformations.

I still continued to buy certain PSB-stuff on vinyl. The double 12'' of remixes of Drunk in a creepy store in Berlin. The triple 12'' of Disco 3 solely for the extended mix of the superb Somebody else's business. In the old days it would have been MP3-torrent but now Youtube is a second home (downloading poor quality sound).

Pod

Re: Why vinyl? My first PSB-CD

#2 Post by Pod » Wed 15 May 2019, 12:23 pm

Vinyl quality today is generally far superior (not to mention more expensive) than back then. Each to their own!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

telys

#3 Post by telys » Wed 15 May 2019, 12:46 pm

Should I invest in a proper vinyl-player?

leesmapman

#4 Post by leesmapman » Wed 15 May 2019, 6:09 pm

My first CD ever was Please, bought it in 1987.
I also bought the It's a Sin remix 12" and the Always on my Mind remix 12" and both were blessed with a nice crack so that the needle jumped out of the groove. Needless to say, I stayed with CDs after that.

ArtHist

#5 Post by ArtHist » Wed 15 May 2019, 6:45 pm

telys wrote:
Wed 15 May 2019, 8:59 am
.... Walking back home I found a huge bulge on the record.....
Similar experience here when I bought the 12" of Before :D

Joking aside, I prefer vinyl, it's more tangible, the artwork is also fundamental to the enjoyment of the record. If it were down to sound quality then yes digital all the way but we got by on vinyl and cassettes for long enough and no one complained.

Pod

#6 Post by Pod » Wed 15 May 2019, 9:41 pm

telys wrote:
Wed 15 May 2019, 12:46 pm
Should I invest in a proper vinyl-player?
I would...

Gabby

#7 Post by Gabby » Wed 15 May 2019, 10:38 pm

My first PSB CD was Where The Strrets Have No Name with the new remix of I Want A Dog...that was the sole reason I bought it and I didnt even have a CD player to listen to it on for maybe a year or more after.

I was a total 12" junkie for PSB music...still am...so the majority of my collection are the 12" versions or the albums. I only bought 7" if there was something significantly different about the songs and of course the 10" were always something special. Was so happy when I discovered the 10" of Its Alright on a trip to Germany!

Ahh happy days! :dance:

retrofuturist

#8 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 16 May 2019, 2:34 am

I think my first Pet Shop Boys CD was the Streets / Seriously? 4 track. I had been reluctant to go to CD, because I was just a kid and didn't have my own CD player at the time, but I'd heard the "full version" of Streets on the radio, and couldn't let go of the chance to get it, since it wasn't on the other formats.

MikeyC

#9 Post by MikeyC » Thu 16 May 2019, 3:28 am

My first PSB CD was "Discography"!! And there was no stopping after that!! ;)

onzio

#10 Post by onzio » Thu 16 May 2019, 9:08 am

Gabby wrote:
Wed 15 May 2019, 10:38 pm
My first PSB CD was Where The Strrets Have No Name with the new remix of I Want A Dog...that was the sole reason I bought it and I didnt even have a CD player to listen to it on for maybe a year or more after.

I was a total 12" junkie for PSB music...still am...so the majority of my collection are the 12" versions or the albums. I only bought 7" if there was something significantly different about the songs and of course the 10" were always something special. Was so happy when I discovered the 10" of Its Alright on a trip to Germany!

Ahh happy days! :dance:
The same exact CD single for me, I bought it second hand.
The first brand new PSB CD was Discography.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

oakey

#11 Post by oakey » Thu 16 May 2019, 12:35 pm

My first CD ever was a PSB one, the CD single of Heart. I did not own a CD player myself, I was 15 at the time, but my parents just got one. It certainly was a premium format back then with premium prices, but CD singles had the same price as 12" vinyl with the same content or even more.

Since, I also fully embraced the CD format although I never stopped buying vinyl, also because it was a cheap alternative back then (in the 90s 2nd hand vinyl flooded the market like CDs nowadays). Many PSB albums and maxis I own are from that period. Fl. 0.50-1.00 max (ie less than €0.50).

Marie loves PSB

#12 Post by Marie loves PSB » Thu 16 May 2019, 2:11 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Wed 15 May 2019, 6:45 pm
telys wrote:
Wed 15 May 2019, 8:59 am
.... Walking back home I found a huge bulge on the record.....
Similar experience here when I bought the 12" of Before :D
Lmao :lol: ArtHist.

Well, this one is a bit difficult for me. As when I used to buy PSB's and other 12"/Albums in the 80's early 90's often the were dreadful and jumped all over the place. Then when I got a full time job the first thing I bought was a Pioneer HIFI - it was quite expensive at the time. It played vinyl lovely. It sounded better than a CD ever did it had a sound of it's own. Then it broke and I have never been able to find anything like it since. :down:

So, my vinyl is up in the loft now and I only use CD's and my tiny I-Pod.

Gabby

#13 Post by Gabby » Thu 16 May 2019, 4:33 pm

oakey wrote:
Thu 16 May 2019, 12:35 pm
My first CD ever was a PSB one, the CD single of Heart. I did not own a CD player myself, I was 15 at the time, but my parents just got one. It certainly was a premium format back then with premium prices, but CD singles had the same price as 12" vinyl with the same content or even more.

Since, I also fully embraced the CD format although I never stopped buying vinyl, also because it was a cheap alternative back then (in the 90s 2nd hand vinyl flooded the market like CDs nowadays). Many PSB albums and maxis I own are from that period. Fl. 0.50-1.00 max (ie less than €0.50).
Now I think about it, the first PSB CD I mentioned was also my first EVER CD too. I had to do some backtracking on purchasing CD singles once I got into them. It was like having a miniature version of the vinyl 12".

To the commenter who spoke about the jumps on the vinyl, I recall my 12" of "What have I done to deserve this?" had a nasty one right at the start of one of the extended mixes (I forget which), which bugged the hell out of me. I used to layer 1p coins onto the end of needle arm to weigh it down so tracks wouldn't jump so much. Eventually on this one it cut a groove into the disc and it no longer jumped, without the additional weight :)

I'm starting to realise there's limited value in my old vinyl collection, and it's meant to be played, so one day I'm just going to hit the decks and have a PSB 12" single marathon. Wine and savoury nibbles will likely be involved! :dance:

Bulldog

#14 Post by Bulldog » Thu 16 May 2019, 8:55 pm

Both vinyl and CD are something you can cherish and show as bricks of your own culture and taste, much in the way VHS and DVD are way more rewarding to collect (and to show) than digital copies of films. Having said that, I think CD is the best way to listen to PSB. Their music relies very much on vocals and has a very clean and pristine sonic quality you can capture with a relatively cheap CD player too - but not so much with an economic turntable. Vinyl seems to suit more intricate proggy bands that don't rely that much on cristalline sound quality. In that sense it's quite interesting that the first CD ever released was an ABBA album: vinyl lets you appreciate the overall effect of their intricate productions, but it's really CD that brings out the beauty of vocals.
Last edited by Bulldog on Thu 16 May 2019, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

Pod

#15 Post by Pod » Thu 16 May 2019, 10:20 pm

I have a huge PSB collection on all formats, but vinyl is my ‘go to’ format. The first CD I bought by PSB was the Its a sin cd single. At the time it was fantastic to hear in such clarity - particularly the remix.