Taking into account the delay, go with the singles

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Would you like PSB could release several singles before the album release?

Yes, why not?, 3 or 4 before the album release
53%
No, I don't like the idea
47%

Total votes: 17

nickname

Taking into account the delay, go with the singles

#1 Post by nickname » Tue 02 Jul 2019, 10:36 pm

These days music groups tend to release singles (on physical or digital format) and it doesn't mean there is a new album on the way, some artists are only singles hitmakers. Of course, we love the idea of buying an album with a good number of songs included. But what about discovering tracks from the new album before it was released. It wouldn't be something new on the PSB world but they don't usually release many singles before the album. I think it could be a good idea to start the singles campaign before the album release. Maybe 3 or 4 singles, one per month for example, starting in august or september.

Marie loves PSB

Re: Taking into account the delay, go with the singles

#2 Post by Marie loves PSB » Wed 03 Jul 2019, 8:58 am

I'm not too keen on the idea as just "the example" of all the "agro" of just buying a PSB's cd single is now-a-days. I had to buy the last E.P through buying the PSB's book and I didn't really want the book and it's postage. (Look at the agro some of you have had - sadly). It was a lot of money for the Cd to be honest. I don't do downloads. I know years ago you could just go to a record shop and buy the 12" cd and the remix cd for around £1.99/£3.00. If they were like they used to be it would have been fine. (Apologies I am so moany about this subject Nickname). :)

Bulldog

#3 Post by Bulldog » Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:36 am

The logic beyond singles market is very dispersive these days, and older acts are meant to leave a legacy, a corpus of work whose best expression is obviously the studio album. (Call me an old fart but they have a point, actually). Furthermore, albums are an easier vehicle for press and promotion than singles, so I think PSB will keep making albums (or EPS) instead of wasting too many good songs on digital singles with no impact whatsoever.

nickname

#4 Post by nickname » Thu 04 Jul 2019, 9:47 am

Anyway, I'm not saying they don't release the album. Of course, the album has to be released.