Bubadubadubadum (All My Wasted Time)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Gabby

Bubadubadubadum (All My Wasted Time)

#1 Post by Gabby » Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:06 pm

Was rabbit holing online and took a re-listen to Bubadubadubadum (All My Wasted Time) last night, and it really struck me what an actually very good song it is.

I'm genuinely stunned that Neil and Chris haven't revisited it. The music could be refreshed and updated to sound more contemporary, and personally I'd either drop entirely or find some alternative way to do the "Bubadubadubadum" part (maybe a Chris Lowe vocoder style deal?). The lyrics are interesting and intelligent, no need to change that or the melody, and you've got yourself a stone cold PSB classic (not that it isn't in it's demo form already :) ).

My point I guess is, if their song vault is full of stuff like this and they DON'T go back to it, why the heck not? There's probably a ton of gems to be mined that just need to be polished.

Bulldog

Re: Bubadubadubadum (All My Wasted Time)

#2 Post by Bulldog » Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:39 pm

Apparently they hate it (and the very fact that it leaked). It sounds a bit cheap in fact. "In the club or in the queue" is way more sophisticated and it's one they actually tried to revisit in the '90s.

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman » Fri 05 Jul 2019, 9:44 pm

I remember the reason they haven't revisited it, is because everybody knows the song already because it's on youtube and everywhere else.

I love this cover version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYzGU_Sxug

ype

#4 Post by ype » Fri 05 Jul 2019, 10:03 pm

I love In the club or in the queue. I would kill for a high quality version of the original demo. I can see why it's difficult to rerecord it. The underground feel is something that would probably get lost in the mix now. Bubadubadubadum I can take or leave tbh.

Pod

#5 Post by Pod » Sat 06 Jul 2019, 12:48 am

It’s pretty poor to be honest and a bit cheesy - don’t blame them for hating it. In the club or in the queue on the other hand...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

jasonjohn

#6 Post by jasonjohn » Sat 06 Jul 2019, 9:37 am

Love Bubadubadubadum

It's bright and quirky, painfully retro, and could of easily fitted in on Super (an album of boldly chiseled tracks)

domino

#7 Post by domino » Sat 06 Jul 2019, 9:47 am

I understand why they still don't rerecord it when you can find the demo on the internet anyway.

I really like the "Good Behaviour Mix" of In The Club Or In The Queue (you can find it on YouTube). It could have been a good b-side or album track for some autumn release.