Strategy

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
nickname

Strategy

#1 Post by nickname » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:22 pm

FIRST SINGLE: out now
ALBUM: 24 january 2020

Do you think are they going to release more singles in between?. I don't see the reason why they couldn't release more singles, one per month, on digital. With a proper physical single release of one of the big songs from the album, more or less when the album is released.

I think it could be nice.

jamie1978

Re: Strategy

#2 Post by jamie1978 » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:31 pm

honestly i don't think this is part of some grand strategic plan - it's a smash and grab on the wallets of causal fans / radio 2 listeners in the UK

it's pretty simple: the Radio 2 show has given them massive amounts of national exposure in the UK, and the release of Dreamland + announcement of the 'Dreamworld' greatest hits tour is a pretty blatant and shameless cash-in

I mean sure, you can attempt to weave in some kind of contorted strategy to the whole thing, but they only just finished mixing the album, so there is literally no other sensible explanation other than cashing in

Scottydog

#3 Post by Scottydog » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:55 pm

Maybe not singles as such but it does seem common place to make a few album tracks available for download in advance of the album.

Bulldog

#4 Post by Bulldog » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 1:04 pm

Likely they see a lot of potential in the song and they just want to have a late-career hit. But maybe they should have kept it for the rumoured GH. Perhaps the Hyde Park thing got in the way and without it the album would have had a standard autumn release, with a different first single (and a different promotional strategy).
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

nickname

#5 Post by nickname » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:51 pm

Bulldog wrote: Likely they see a lot of potential in the song and they just want to have a late-career hit. But maybe they should have kept it for the rumoured GH. Perhaps the Hyde Park thing got in the way and without it the album would have had a standard autumn release, with a different first single (and a different promotional strategy).
Well, they have called the tour like the name of this single, not the album name, so they put some effort on this song. It sounds quite strong to be played on the radio, quite radio friendly. Of course, the Radio 2 concert is a promotional thing they can't avoid.

A late career hit?, if Years on Years fans support the song there is a very small possibility, quite short really.

NikacP0kac

#6 Post by NikacP0kac » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 3:08 pm

nickname wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:22 pm
FIRST SINGLE: out now
ALBUM: 24 january 2020

Do you think are they going to release more singles in between?. I don't see the reason why they couldn't release more singles, one per month, on digital. With a proper physical single release of one of the big songs from the album, more or less when the album is released.

I think it could be nice.
As somebody already noticed, the single has a catalogue number X20017 DL, whereas the album is number 18, so highly doubtful there's going to be a release in-between - I think maybe a CD single of Dreamland, with a B-side or two is most we will get.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Debussy

#7 Post by Debussy » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 3:21 pm

There's a deliberate and crafted PR, appearance and release schedule behind the latest work, well... all their work actually.
They are smartly using social, and some quick reveals to build some hype and attention.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

stussyboy

#8 Post by stussyboy » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 4:55 pm

All I know is that I think you’ve inadvertently named the album

Pet Shop Boys Strategy
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Dog

#9 Post by Dog » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:45 pm

stussyboy wrote:All I know is that I think you’ve inadvertently named the album

Pet Shop Boys Strategy
Neil doesn’t like them to be thought of as pop strategists though. Everything they do is one big happy accident.
Woof.

nickname

#10 Post by nickname » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 7:36 pm

A Greatest Hits album after the new one could be the reason for a Hits Tour:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34323

Bulldog

#11 Post by Bulldog » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 9:15 am

Dog wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:45 pm

Pet Shop Boys Strategy
Neil doesn’t like them to be thought of as pop strategists though. Everything they do is one big happy accident.
That would explain how they choose singles... :mrgreen:
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

domino

#12 Post by domino » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 9:30 am

Bulldog wrote:
Sat 14 Sep 2019, 9:15 am
Dog wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:45 pm

Pet Shop Boys Strategy
That would explain how they choose singles... :mrgreen:
They realeased It's A Sin as a single, because Tom Watkins and the label sayed that this is the most commercial track on the album. :D

Dog

#13 Post by Dog » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 1:21 pm

I reckon we’re in for a bumper period as fans.

I think in the coming weeks we’ll get more iterations of the new single - digital EPs with extra tracks and remixes, and physical formats too.

Then, in the lead up to the album release, we’ll maybe get a couple more tracks eked out as tasters, along with the reveal of the title, artwork and tracklisting. Maybe the second single proper in early January, prior to the album dropping on the 24th. There’s every chance we’ll hear this for the first time at this weekend’s concerts.

My guess is the current album campaign will segue straight into the Dreamworld tour and an accompanying Greatest Hits album of the same name. Tour dates are nicely timed for a Glastonbury appearance - 10 years since they last played, and 20 years since they first performed.

There’s also the reissues of Literally and Versus America in March, no doubt an Annually, and the physical release of Musik which Neil has trailed.

If they are feeling particularly reflective, maybe we could even see the long mooted boxset before 2020 is out, 35 years since their first hit.

Clearly this is largely conjecture but I reckon it’s going to be a great 12 months or so.
Woof.

Undertaker

#14 Post by Undertaker » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 1:37 pm

Theres no such thing as a 'single' anymore. Not really. Anything can chart at anytime.

Wish

#15 Post by Wish » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:44 pm

NikacP0kac wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 3:08 pm
As somebody already noticed, the single has a catalogue number X20017 DL, whereas the album is number 18, so highly doubtful there's going to be a release in-between
January 2016. Inner Sanctum released as digital download (X20007).
The same day Super was anounced (X20008).
February 2016. The Pop Kids released as digital download with physical release in March (X20009).
March 2016. Happiness released as digital download, a week before Super (X20010).
April 2016. At last Super released (X20008).

So... who knows :)