2 albums?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
andmaste
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed 19 Nov 2003, 9:02 am
Contact:

2 albums?

#1 Post by andmaste » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm

Just my opinion.

In January we're having the new album but the tour is called "Greatest hits live", so I thought that...

november: 2nd single
january, just before the album (or together with it): 3rd single
end of april / beginning of may: new single to be included in a Greatest Hits
beginning / half may: greatest hits
end of may: "Greatest hits live" tour begins...

Could it be?
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#2 Post by Luke Colorado » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:37 pm

What’s the best GH album of the boys currently published?
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Nicholas
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri 05 Feb 2016, 7:32 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#3 Post by Nicholas » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:54 pm

Luke Colorado wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:37 pm
What’s the best GH album of the boys currently published?
Discography is slicker but PopArt is better. Except for having the wrong versions of Heart and I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on it.

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#4 Post by Luke Colorado » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:06 pm

I’d say Discography too, but it’s missing the Very singles (for obvious reasons). I don’t think any single after the Very area can be properly labeled a hit.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

User avatar
Spittingcat
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 11:11 am
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#5 Post by Spittingcat » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:28 pm

Greatest Hits will be in the Autumn, I suspect.

I’ve been expecting it ever since they announced that they were releasing three x2 albums produced by Price.

Two new songs, not produced by Price, will probably be laid down early next year ready to be on the compilation (and make sure fans will buy a copy).

TwizzleUK
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat 25 Feb 2006, 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#6 Post by TwizzleUK » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:29 pm

I think there will be another greatest hits compilation released in time for Xmas 2020 which will include a DVD or Blu-ray featuring one of the live performances recorded in the summer tour.

Given it'll be the fourth singles collection, it'd be great if it has a twist - maybe new versions or studio versions of some of the past live arrangements.
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#7 Post by Luke Colorado » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:32 pm

Like a greatest hits album where every song is reimagined by Price?
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

TwizzleUK
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat 25 Feb 2006, 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#8 Post by TwizzleUK » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:46 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:54 pm
Luke Colorado wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:37 pm
What’s the best GH album of the boys currently published?
Discography is slicker but PopArt is better. Except for having the wrong versions of Heart and I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on it.
Best version of PopArt is the US edition as it contains the correct single versions of Heart, I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing (albeit with a truncated fade out) and Flamboyant, plus the mercifully shorter US edit of New York City Boy.
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G_Goalden
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 5:56 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#9 Post by G_Goalden » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:47 pm

Do greatest hits albums still exist?
Are we talking about physical CD’s sold in supermarkets?

Isn’t a ‘greatest hits’ tour almost a marketing exercise in selling tickets (most likely for a series of headline festival shows - Glastonbury perhaps?). A greatest hits show would be a massive draw for neutrals bearing in mind that they probably have the best back catalogue around.

The secret show tomorrow is particularly exciting (not that I have tickets) as a week of low-key secret shows for the album launch (with an obscure set list would be ace!)
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

nickname
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#10 Post by nickname » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 7:33 pm

andmaste wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm
Just my opinion.

In January we're having the new album but the tour is called "Greatest hits live", so I thought that...

november: 2nd single
january, just before the album (or together with it): 3rd single
end of april / beginning of may: new single to be included in a Greatest Hits
beginning / half may: greatest hits
end of may: "Greatest hits live" tour begins...

Could it be?
Hum, not a bad idea. Maybe. It's the only reason I can find for an Only Hits Tour.

Another tour with similar visuals to Electic and Pop Art could be too much.

User avatar
jamie1978
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun 14 Dec 2003, 10:23 am
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#11 Post by jamie1978 » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 7:56 pm

Luke Colorado wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:06 pm
I’d say Discography too, but it’s missing the Very singles (for obvious reasons). I don’t think any single after the Very area can be properly labeled a hit.
Se a vida e, New York city boy, and Love etc were all hits in various territories, some quite big hits (like New York city boy in Mexico and Love etc in Germany)

PopArt
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun 28 Dec 2003, 5:18 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#12 Post by PopArt » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:27 pm

Perhaps a slightly random (and I hope wrong) thought but could the new album be a double album- one half new songs the other half greatest hits? I seem to recall Michael Jackson did something like that with History.
I'm always waiting...

Nicholas
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri 05 Feb 2016, 7:32 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#13 Post by Nicholas » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:42 pm

PopArt wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:27 pm
Perhaps a slightly random (and I hope wrong) thought but could the new album be a double album- one half new songs the other half greatest hits? I seem to recall Michael Jackson did something like that with History.
THE HORROR! But seems unlikely given that it’s already listed on iTunes as a 10 track album (and also that it’s a terrible, terrible idea and they’d never do it).

One of the crowd
Posts: 4488
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#14 Post by One of the crowd » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:58 pm

Luke Colorado wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 6:32 pm
Like a greatest hits album where every song is reimagined by Price?
I have a feeling that this has been done
Fishing

Future Lover
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:04 am
Contact:

Re: 2 albums?

#15 Post by Future Lover » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 9:27 pm

The only GH album I would accept at this points is like an updated Discography - chronological and complete. If we're going by "hits only", we would stop 10 years ago... which would suck, since they've had so many excellent singles since then.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests