The lost single

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

The lost single

#1 Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 3:12 am

With the current 50th anniversary of Abbey Road, I am reminded that Here Comes the Sun was never released as a single in the UK. This seems preposterous - I've been aware of it my whole life from airplay and it is The Fabs' most popular track on Spotify with just the 360 million plays to date. It's a song anyone would kill to have in their catalogue and for 99% of groups would be their most famous hit, but then this is The Beatles we're talking about.

So to get this on topic - what is the one track out of all PSB's non-singles that should have been one? There are so many contenders but I think I'd choose It Couldn't Happen Here with King's Cross a close second. Both are moody compositions with incredibly strong melodies, but the former shades it because of the line 'in six-inch heels, quoting magazines' which I've always loved. And they both pass the 'nickname test' as they'd clearly have gone to number one if they were released in 2019.

retrofuturist

Re: The lost single

#2 Post by retrofuturist » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 4:48 am

Pandemonium, as a follow up to Love Etc.

With the right release strategy, it would have been another Top 20 hit for sure.

Dog

#3 Post by Dog » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 6:15 am

They should have come out of the blocks with the album version of Integral as the first single from Fundamental.
Woof.

goughsjd

#4 Post by goughsjd » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 6:17 am

I always think that two divided by zero, Integral, Pandemonium. Face like that and Burn would have made great singles.
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

domino

#5 Post by domino » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 7:35 am

There a some pretty good non-singles: Bounce, One in a million, Shameless, Up against it, Radiophonic, Groovy

But the standalone: King's Cross would have made top 10 for me.

domino

#6 Post by domino » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 7:35 am

Doublepost

Palpatine

#7 Post by Palpatine » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 7:47 am

This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave.

D.J.

#8 Post by D.J. » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 8:01 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
    Mon 30 Sep 2019, 3:12 am
    With the current 50th anniversary of Abbey Road, I am reminded that Here Comes the Sun was never released as a single in the UK. This seems preposterous - I've been aware of it my whole life from airplay and it is The Fabs' most popular track on Spotify with just the 360 million plays to date. It's a song anyone would kill to have in their catalogue and for 99% of groups would be their most famous hit, but then this is The Beatles we're talking about.

So to get this on topic - what is the one track out of all PSB's non-singles that should have been one? There are so many contenders but I think I'd choose It Couldn't Happen Here with King's Cross a close second. Both are moody compositions with incredibly strong melodies, but the former shades it because of the line 'in six-inch heels, quoting magazines' which I've always loved. And they both pass the 'nickname test' as they'd clearly have gone to number one if they were released in 2019.
    Absolutely agree with both of your choices! Actually, in the past 4-5 years, It Couldn’t Happen Here has risen to be in my top 3 favorite PSB songs ever. Although a ballad, I find it sweepingly powerful. That huge build up and chorus in the second part of the song is one of my favorite music moments of all time. It’s majestic and epic (in true meaning of the word). :clap: I hope they would perform the song live in the future. :pray:

Drico One

#9 Post by Drico One » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 8:20 am

Integral - not that it would have made much difference to their commercial fortunes. However, as lead single from Fundamental it would have been top 10 in all likelihood, and a more memorable choice than the underrated I’m with Stupid.

This must be the place is one I’ve long thought should have been a single, but their tide was out by then and I can’t really argue with the three choices from that album.

More recently, I think A certain je ne sais quoi had potential in so much as it was a novelty. But, in reality, a lost single is really only lost if its release would have changed fortunes or been a big hit. So, in that sense, the question probably only applies up to 1994. With that caveat, I think Dreaming of the Queen should have been a single from Very as it, again, had that novelty hook.

The real lost single from that era, of course, is the failure to release One in a million in collaboration with Take That. It is, in fact, their lost fifth number one. Whether it would have been any good is another story...

Drico.
    The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Gary1962

#10 Post by Gary1962 » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 9:24 am

Shameless should definitely have been a single, other tracks that come to mind are, Why Don't We Live Together, Kings Cross, Miserablism, The End Of The World, One In A Million, You Choose, The Sodom And Gomorrah Show, The Ressurectionist, Pandemonium, King Of Rome and After The Event.

Actually thopse tracks would make an excellent CD :)
    If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
    If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

ype

#11 Post by ype » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 9:32 am

Shameless

britboy

#12 Post by britboy » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 10:15 am

The Way It Used To Be...how this was ignored as a single is beyond me, absolutely stunning track !!!

One of the crowd

#13 Post by One of the crowd » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 10:19 am

IIRC, No Time For Tears was scheduled to be released as a single and some places even had a catalogue number for it

As per tracks that could have been singles

One More Chance
    Kings Cross
    A Different Point Of View
    One In A Million
    Shameless
    To Step Aside
    Closer To Heaven
    Radiophonic
    Here
    Positive Role Model
    Sodom
    Integral
    Pandemonium
    The Way It Used To Be
    Burn
    Fishing

Ghost within this house

#14 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 10:38 am

The Lost Room?
    Gunpoint has a firm voice

Tom Angel

#15 Post by Tom Angel » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 11:03 am

A face like that would have been perfect.
    in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls