Back catalogue countdown to Hotspot

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: Back catalogue countdown to Hotspot

#106 Post by leesmapman »

Disco 4 is my 2nd favourite Disco. I love their remixes of other artists (wish they did that more) and that makes Disco 4 a cohesive listen. Bowie's Hello Spaceboy is a highlight in PSB's career

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

y3potential

#107 Post by y3potential »

I too like and enjoy Disco 4. The only gripe I have is I would have preferred that each track was full and individual rather than the segues into the next track.. A minor quibble..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Dog

#108 Post by Dog »

Yes is my favourite post-imperial album. I think it’s their most consistent. It’s got a great positive feel; shiny production. All over the world is exquisite - it should have been a proper single in its own right. The verses remind me of Bowie. Vulnerable is an under appreciated gem. King of Rome is uniquely Pet Shop Boys; absolutely beautiful. And The way it used to be is rightly a forum favourite, what a fantastic track. I even love Legacy.
Woof.

retrofuturist

#109 Post by retrofuturist »

Agreed on the quality of Yes. It's a worthy "pop" successor to Very. If we receive another in that vein, we'll be blessed.

ArtHist

#110 Post by ArtHist »

Totally agree with Dog and Retro. 'Yes' had something for everyone. Great pop tracks, songs with meaningful lyrics and for those lucky enough to purchase the ltd ed vinyl boxset- a nice little investment. How much were those selling for originally?

Future Lover

#111 Post by Future Lover »

I must be the only one to find "Yes" to be too calculated and even shallow in places. It was clean and sleek, yes, but I usually skip half of the tracks, including singles #2 and #3. Brian Higgins also acted so full of himself around that time, calling them a dated heritage act, but how the tables have turned...

leesmapman

#112 Post by leesmapman »

The Yet Etc disc is still a great addition to the Yes album. Yes is not one of my favourite PSB albums, but the Etc disc adds more depth to the original songs, a really enjoyable listening experience.

Dog

#113 Post by Dog »

Yes Further Listening, spread across two discs, is another mixed bag. This used to be the future would have fit on the main album brilliantly. The loving kind is another highlight, but I can see the appeal of having Girls Aloud take one of your songs. The former enfant terrible holds appeal as one of their more out there tracks - a cousin of The sound of the atom splitting. Up and down I also like a great deal.

The new version of All over the world improves on the already excellent original, and Together is fantastic too. Seeing them do this live on the Take That tour was worth the ticket price alone.

Elsewhere their multiple cover versions and Birdman demos are curios at best.
Woof.

Dog

#114 Post by Dog »

leesmapman wrote:The Yet Etc disc is still a great addition to the Yes album. Yes is not one of my favourite PSB albums, but the Etc disc adds more depth to the original songs, a really enjoyable listening experience.
Yes, agreed, this is a fantastic record. Overlooking the instrumental discs accompanying Elysium and Hotspot, we’ve not had a remix disc for some years now. With one production team across the remixes there’s a real consistency here. My favourite is the Vulnerable rework - if you’ve not heard it for a while I encourage you to give it a spin. I’d like Yes etc on vinyl - here’s hoping for a reissue.
Woof.

Dog

#115 Post by Dog »

I was lucky enough to see The Most Incredible Thing twice. For me it is their most successful side project. The music is a lush expansion on the more basic Potemkin, and a smoother blend of electronics and orchestra. There are no injected traditional songs. The excellent clock sequence is the closest we get, other than the brief blast of Baby. And it means Hotpot won’t be the first PSB album which ends with a wedding.

With A Man From The Future still missing a release, and the Disco series seemingly mothballed, it’s been nine years since a between album remix or side project. I guess we have had the reissues with their Further Listening discs and Inner Sanctum. Here’s hoping for 2020!
Woof.

Dog

#116 Post by Dog »

Elysium has a brace of five star tracks. Invisible is up there for me as one of their best songs ever. I love the production and kind of wish more of the album was in the same vein. A face like that is also fantastic, although it goes against the grain of the album. I wonder what Price would have made of this if they’d kept it back for Electric - although I’m glad it’s here in this incarnation. Breathing space is beautiful as well. I’ve never been a huge fan of Winner. The HappySad mix would be a good substitute. Ego music really stood out for me listening back. Great lyrics. Not sure it’s a great fit on the album though - they never stick to one mood or theme do they?
Woof.

Harry

#117 Post by Harry »

Dog wrote:
Tue 21 Jan 2020, 4:03 pm
“A face like that” is also fantastic, although it goes against the grain of the album. I wonder what Price would have made of this if they’d kept it back for Electric
We got a hint of what Price might have done with this track on the Electric tour of course. I really like that version, but it would have been interesting to see what he would have done if he’d had it from the demo stage.

Going back; Elysium and Release are the two Pets albums that have grown on me slowly over time. They’ve revealed their mysteries.

Release came out when I was turning 18, and while I liked it, at the time I wanted something noisier. I love it dearly now.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Dog

#118 Post by Dog »

Slim pickings on Elysium Further Listening - their best work was clearly been channelled into fast-follower Electric. The demo of Vocal lays clear Price’s monumental contribution to this track. In slow motion, I started a joke and In his imagination are all nice enough. The three mixes of Leaving are all good quality and the single mix of Memory of the future is a decent overhaul which ultimately paved the way for the next three albums.
Woof.

leesmapman

#119 Post by leesmapman »

yeah, nothing surprising on Elysium Further Listening, apart from the Vocal demo and She pops. They could have cut one or two mixes of Leaving, but that would have left a short CD of course. In a way, Electric is Elysium Further Listening

domino

#120 Post by domino »

I like Memory of the future as the last single released on EMI.

It's a nice goodbye as Electric is a nice hello on x2.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.