Hotspot reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nicholas

Re: Hotspot reviews

#121 Post by Nicholas »

Delete post

drunk14

#122 Post by drunk14 »

I wonder if PSB/their management paid for Q review? You already know that I do not have a trust in all of these big titles like Q, NME or Rolling Stone, but they are probably still perceived as the best means of promotion in newspaper sector. For a typical PSB consumer it could be a more reliable and trustworthy source than some alternative music website etc. (force of habit and some past traditions where such reviews really mattered).

My question came from the observation that N&C shared Q's review on their site and social media. They could choose a better review, more enthusiastic and valuable. Now we're talking about this particular example, but it could be a general problem for consideration. There are many voices around that artists do such things.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

PopKid78

#123 Post by PopKid78 »

Just had a quick flick through Uncut Magazine, whilst out shopping. Hotspot gets 8/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArtHist

#125 Post by ArtHist »

drunk14 wrote:
Wed 15 Jan 2020, 1:25 pm
I wonder if PSB/their management paid for Q review? You already know that I do not have a trust in all of these big titles like Q, NME or Rolling Stone, but they are probably still perceived as the best means of promotion in newspaper sector. For a typical PSB consumer it could be a more reliable and trustworthy source than some alternative music website etc. (force of habit and some past traditions where such reviews really mattered).

My question came from the observation that N&C shared Q's review on their site and social media. They could choose a better review, more enthusiastic and valuable. Now we're talking about this particular example, but it could be a general problem for consideration. There are many voices around that artists do such things.
Q Mag was always big on hyperbole and purple prose. Case in point; the Alternative Review from 1995. A 5 star review with no real depth, rattle off a few song titles and make an obligatory reference to some cultural figure from the past (in this case Gene Vincent standing in for the Doris Day mention we got in the Hotspot review). Formulaic AF. I can only assume that they know it's only fans who are buying PSB, and we will purchase new material regardless of the rating, so why bother writing an in-depth review.
Attachments
IMG_20200115_174635.jpg
IMG_20200115_174635.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1527 times
IMG_20200115_174620.jpg
IMG_20200115_174620.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 1527 times

drunk14

#126 Post by drunk14 »

Thank you for this archival scan! Never seen this photo before.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Debussy

#127 Post by Debussy »

GalataPSB wrote:Bruzz magazine

What the hell is this?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

ArtHist

#128 Post by ArtHist »

^^^ Millennial intern with access to Wikipedia and lyricsgenius.com

rashomon

#129 Post by rashomon »

Pet Shop Boys - Vorst

"Can I have the vorst Pet Shop Boys album, please?"
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

ArtHist

#130 Post by ArtHist »

rashomon wrote:
Wed 15 Jan 2020, 9:33 pm
Pet Shop Boys - Vorst

"Can I have the vorst Pet Shop Boys album, please?"
Uh-oh....we need a poll...!

Nicholas

#131 Post by Nicholas »

nickname wrote:
Thu 09 Jan 2020, 4:45 pm
Nicholas wrote:
Thu 09 Jan 2020, 12:11 am
Really lovely review. I’d say Hoping For A Miracle is more King’s Cross than Funny Uncle though.
King's Cross is arguably the best ballad of the PSB career. I wish this song was as good as King's Cross.
Got access to the Hotspot album stream back again and have been listening all week. I stand by my earlier comment.

Pod

#132 Post by Pod »

Love that word used in the Alternative review...

Vapid
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Kevinthehorse

#133 Post by Kevinthehorse »

glennjridge wrote:
Mon 13 Jan 2020, 10:52 pm
What a disappointment these reviews are. all this whimsical talk about their career, all the flowery talk and yet at the end of the day for all intent and purpose its just a overblown over wordy blurb review. did they really listen to the songs? I wouldnt take those odds going by what I read.
That's the nature of album reviews for 1980s "heritage" acts I'm afraid. The first half of the review will simply consist of a reminder of who they are, how long they've been making music and what they've achieved. The remainder of the review will class the album as either a "return to form" (4 stars), "more of the same" (3 stars) or "a shadow of their former selves" (2 stars), with a cursory mention of a couple of song titles.

ArtHist

#135 Post by ArtHist »

^^^ Dreamland a standout? Eurgh.