No Promo CDs in Hotspot era?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Wish

No Promo CDs in Hotspot era?

#1 Post by Wish » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 10:09 am

Did anyone mentioned there are still no original promo CDs/CDRs around there?
Not even 1track radio CDRs for Dreamland/Burning The Heather/Monkey Business. And of course no promo CD for Hotspot which is usualy available for journalists. And it's photo was available in Insta/FB prior to release date.
Brazilian or Russian/or someone else's bootlegs are not counting.

Interesting if they decided to stop doing it and all promo material distributes digitally. This would be very sad as it was great part of PSB catalogue.

retrofuturist

Re: No Promo CDs in Hotspot era?

#2 Post by retrofuturist » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 10:59 am

I wonder... do most radio stations play from digital files now?

psbfannyc

#3 Post by psbfannyc » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:01 am

And I guess all the journalists now just get the digital files?

Greendrake

#4 Post by Greendrake » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:22 am

Wish wrote:
Wed 15 Jan 2020, 10:09 am
Interesting if they decided to stop doing it and all promo material distributes digitally. This would be very sad as it was great part of PSB catalogue.
Well, the catalogue is now digital. Welcome to 2020.

drunk14

#5 Post by drunk14 » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 1:37 pm

Perhaps it's a good solution. The promos were something exceptional for me in the past. The number od CD's available on the market was adequate. It was quite rare, but you could still afford to buy it (though it was not legal, heh). They were rather beautifully pressed with elegenat card-sleeves and unique cover design. During x2 era there are some scaffy CD-R promos with plain plastic cover and a graphic you can easily print at home. No fancy stickers, no prestige feeling. Paradoxically, they are coming in even small numbers, so a typical fan cannot afford to buy it. Besides, they are easy to forge and the market is full of fakes - it's funny that most of them look much better than those official promos and people are so naive and buy them. But it's a different story.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Future Lover

#6 Post by Future Lover » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 2:28 pm

I think I've bought a fair share of fake "Electric" promos, but there was no other way for me to get those files in lossless, so yeah.
The last beautiful one was for "Memory of the future", which I'm lucky to own through some help on this very forum, so thanks!

drunk14

#7 Post by drunk14 » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 2:45 pm

You mean that those fake CD's have a great quality? Who pressed them? I thought you could find all the files in lossless form these days or at least create them on your own... just like those fake sellers. I would be grateful if you could explain me more about this, I am not an expert.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Future Lover

#8 Post by Future Lover » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm

Well, if one simply rips the original promos in lossless quality and burns those files, it's technically the same disc content. So in all honesty, I don't even care if it's fake, since the files are genuine WAV. The artwork was rudimentary even with the originals, just a paper wrap with a cover, so it's like Ship of Theseus, if all the parts are the same, what's the difference? Anyway, they were all 5-20 bucks, and I did my part in lowering the demand for them, khm khm.
The files don't seem to be fake edits, very hard to create an instrumental without any vocal bits left, so they were ripped from a genuine source.

drunk14

#9 Post by drunk14 » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 4:50 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/omendas/m.ht ... 7675.l2562

This is madness. I think it should be reported to ebay.

df118junkie

#10 Post by df118junkie » Thu 16 Jan 2020, 2:09 am

drunk14 wrote:
Wed 15 Jan 2020, 4:50 pm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/omendas/m.ht ... 7675.l2562

This is madness. I think it should be reported to ebay.
Not sure where you were given the moral authority to report something because you don't like it. For some of us, these represent a very acceptable alternative to product that hasn't been issued in physical or CD format. If you want to be an absolute purist, then stick to it, but Bootlegs have been part of the collecting fun since cassette tapes and LPs in the 60's/70's. I have picked up all of these along the way and they look great as part of my collection.

drunk14

#11 Post by drunk14 » Thu 16 Jan 2020, 5:38 am

So sharing files, even within our Community, is wrong, but selling some fake records is "an acceptable alternative"? Of course I complety disagree with you and don't like it. We could discuss endlessly... Anyway, It has nothing to do with being a "morał authority", just alarming people who think similar to me. I will stick to it and you will be buying these records. It’s a waste of money, but it's just my opinion. It’s a waste of money from my perspective, so don't be offended, please.