It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
trafaelwyr

Re: It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

#91 Post by trafaelwyr » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:04 pm

Dog wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 6:05 am
Greendrake wrote:
Dog wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 8:52 pm
No mention of a PSB commentary which is a shame.
Guess PSB would have done it if the film was re-relased by themselves, not by the BFI. But now why would they bother (unless the BFI pays them enough for it)? Their commentary would certainly please fans but the sales would stay the same, so the BFI won't bother begging them either.
I seem to remember reading (probably said a little in jest) that PSB’s main reason for wanting a rerelease was so that they could record a commentary. I agree that given this is a BFI release it may have been harder to make happen. Or maybe it will still appear. I guess there’s also nothing to stop them recording something - a kind of podcast - that could be released separately but played at the same time as the film (I know, I’m clutching at straws).
They did say, near the end of the track by track commentary for Elysium with David Wallaims that they had recorded a commentary, so hopefully that will be found and used. They mention this around 36:47 - 36:57.

Greendrake

#92 Post by Greendrake » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:21 pm

trafaelwyr wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:04 pm
They did say, near the end of the track by track commentary for Elysium with David Wallaims that they had recorded a commentary, so hopefully that will be found and used. They mention this around 36:47 - 36:57.
I just re-listened to that (the transcript of that conversation is actually in the first post of the thread about ICHH DVD).
They did not say that they had recorded. They were only about to do it, and probably did not because the original film/tape was not found back then and so there was nothing to record commentary on (unless they did it playing the original release, which they probably would not).
Only the duck can show you the stars!

Fisherman

#93 Post by Fisherman » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 11:26 am

The footage was impeccable, shot on 35mm film and well stored at Abbey Road.

Sage

#94 Post by Sage » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm

Fisherman wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 11:26 am
We'll see how the picture quality is. As I said in the thread about remastered music videos it depends on what type of film it was recorded with but 35mm film should be fine.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the film in crisp resolution, probably in widescreen too.
The abstract nature of the film creates an extra intriguing element to it, though let's be honest it's not great and you have to go into it with low expectations.

Greendrake

#95 Post by Greendrake » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 1:12 pm

Fisherman wrote:
Welcome Fisherman!
I would imagine you know that from a reliable source, or maybe were even involved in the restoration?

alig

#96 Post by alig » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 2:10 pm

The unfinished River Phoenix movie " dark blood" had been stored in some random place for over 20 years and the film company wanted to destroy it, but the director had it stolen and restored on a shoestring and yet the movie released on dvd looks so amazingly sharp and vivid that I had to check if it was a dvd or bluray. So ICHH should be looking stunning as well but you can never tell. Ultimately it depends on the hard- and software used for filming.
"John 3:16."

leesmapman

#97 Post by leesmapman » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 3:36 pm

Greendrake wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 1:12 pm
Fisherman wrote:
Welcome Fisherman!
I would imagine you know that from a reliable source, or maybe were even involved in the restoration?
Yeah, Neil in Annually 2019.

leesmapman

#98 Post by leesmapman » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 3:38 pm

alig wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 2:10 pm
The unfinished River Phoenix movie " dark blood" had been stored in some random place for over 20 years and the film company wanted to destroy it, but the director had it stolen and restored on a shoestring and yet the movie released on dvd looks so amazingly sharp and vivid that I had to check if it was a dvd or bluray.
Yes, this is an amazing story in itself, which could be a movie on its own. George Sluizer, the director, did this when he was a dying man too. He wanted to finish the movie before his death. (but we digress)

Greendrake

#99 Post by Greendrake » Sun 16 Feb 2020, 1:51 am

leesmapman wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 3:36 pm
Yeah, Neil in Annually 2019.
Well, you just made me go through my archives and dig Annually 2019 out. Here is what they said:

Chris:
There has been a flurry of excitement and activity.
Neil:
There's been a lot of talk over a long period of time about this film which we made in 1987 and which was released in 1988 being reissued, and the director Jack Bond wanted it to happen. He approached us a few years ago now saying that the BFI — the British Film Institute — wanted to pay for a restoration of it. Then there was a whole issue when they couldn't find the original print. And then suddenly it materialised.
Chris:
Out of the blue they found it. It was at Abbey Road all along.
Neil:
It's a very expensive business — restoring a film.
So, there is no information on how well the footage was stored and in what state it was when found at Abbey Road. Fisherman brings new info on that, and I am hoping that is from a good source.

Patrick Bateman

#100 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun 16 Feb 2020, 6:47 am

Greendrake wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:21 pm
They did not say that they had recorded. They were only about to do it, and probably did not because the original film/tape was not found back then and so there was nothing to record commentary on (unless they did it playing the original release, which they probably would not).
Surely it wouldn't matter. Just chat randomly and pretentiously about England and there's the perfect commentary for the film.

ElectriCity

#101 Post by ElectriCity » Mon 17 Feb 2020, 1:46 pm

As the BFI screening, preceded by an on-stage Q&A with Neil Tennant, Jack Bond and choreographer Arlene Phillips will take place on 3rd April 2020, it lets plenty of time to include it as an extra on the DVD/BR release.