Master sources

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Master sources

#1 Post by Greendrake »

Equipment used for music production has changed a lot along the PSB career. I'd like this thread to be focused on the medium that PSB have used to store their studio recording masters.

I do not know the precise details yet, but I reckon roughly that would probably be:
  • Pre-1987-88: Multitrack reel-to-reels. Analog or digital?
  • 88-00: DATs?
  • 00s on: computer hard drives?
And yes, by now they would have digitized all studio masters that originally were analog, but here I'd like to compile reliable info on which form the originals were in. Does anyone have some good input?

DrTedros_NMSL

Re: Master sources

#2 Post by DrTedros_NMSL »

Please is a digital recording.

TallThinMan

#3 Post by TallThinMan »

Remember when CDs used to have this on the back sleeve? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARS_code

From memory I think Introspective was DDD. I don’t have my Please CD to hand. Very was definitely recorded to analogue multitrack because I remember reading an interview with Pete Gleadall saying Chris wanted the warmth of analogue tape.

misterme

#4 Post by misterme »

back cover of the Please CD states ADD, so analogue tape recorder during recording sessions, digital tape recorder used during subsequent mixing and/or editing and during mastering (from last page of the booklet included with the CD)

Ramzy

#5 Post by Ramzy »

misterme wrote:
Sun 24 May 2020, 1:10 pm
back cover of the Please CD states ADD, so analogue tape recorder during recording sessions, digital tape recorder used during subsequent mixing and/or editing and during mastering (from last page of the booklet included with the CD)
Always found this confusing given the statement on the album that "Please is a digital recording". Wonder which is right.

Separately, given that it was made in an analogue studio and there is mention of half-inch tape in the 2001 reissue notes, is it possible that Behaviour was recorded to tape and mastered in the analogue domain too? And could that theoretically make the original vinyl cut AAA?

Would love to read that Gleadall interview about Very, TallThinMan, if you can remember where it was!
I must disengage your recreational music.

DrTedros_NMSL

#6 Post by DrTedros_NMSL »

Ramzy wrote:
Sun 24 May 2020, 1:56 pm
misterme wrote:
Always found this confusing given the statement on the album that "Please is a digital recording". Wonder which is right.

Separately, given that it was made in an analogue studio and there is mention of half-inch tape in the 2001 reissue notes, is it possible that Behaviour was recorded to tape and mastered in the analogue domain too? And could that theoretically make the original vinyl cut AAA?

Would love to read that Gleadall interview about Very, TallThinMan, if you can remember where it was!
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/pet-sounds/7670

daveid

#7 Post by daveid »

I know very little about this sort of thing but I do remember an interview where they said they were still physically editing tape in the very early 90s ie using scissors. Does this help? ;)

Jack Acksadapo

#8 Post by Jack Acksadapo »

Domino Dancing is a digital recording at 15 ips tape speed, 48 kHz, supposedly:

Ramzy

#9 Post by Ramzy »

DrTedros_NMSL wrote:
Sun 24 May 2020, 3:00 pm
Ramzy wrote:
Sun 24 May 2020, 1:56 pm
misterme wrote:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/pet-sounds/7670
Thanks very much, I *loved* reading that!
I must disengage your recreational music.

Greendrake

#10 Post by Greendrake »

Thanks for sharing, that was an amazing read!
Pete: "Chris likes to hear a lot of bottom end on their tracks, which is why they bought the massive ABES subwoofer for their Dynaudio monitors. He was going into clubs and hearing this fantastic depth to records and thinking, 'well, why don't our records sound like that?'..."

Bob: "...which is why we recorded the album on analogue tape. They've used a lot of digital multitrack before, but this time they wanted that sound you get from analogue recording. So we taped the whole lot on 48 tracks of analogue, with no noise reduction, on Ampex 456. There was a big discussion over analogue versus digital - Neil likes the 'presence' of digital - but everything went to analogue first.
So, does it turn out that Very could possibly be the only PSB album the master of which is analogue?

TallThinMan

#11 Post by TallThinMan »

Greendrake wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020, 2:31 am
So, does it turn out that Very could possibly be the only PSB album the master of which is analogue?
I would be surprised if that were the case.

TwizzleUK

#12 Post by TwizzleUK »

I know Hague was big on his digital recording ('True Faith' being a clear example in 1987). Wonder if 'Please' is listed as ADD because a couple of the songs had analogue origins ('Opportunities', 'Why Don't We Live Together?') because they had original versions recorded before the digital 'Please' album sessions with Hague commenced.