No more LAYERS please!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

No more LAYERS please!

#1 Post by telys »

The modern sound of PSB...
The problem is LAYERS. To many layers of musical ideas on top of eachother. That's why New Order's latest album is so great, they don't do that layers stuff, they let the listener get acquainted with the ideas separately and then bring together and separate them again etc, thereby stretching the songs out.
PSB got stuck in the 3 minute let's-put-everything-in-at-the-same-time-sound, that's the difference between the modern sound and the sound of a great extended mix from the 80's. What's the point in putting so many musical ideas in a song and then drown it in the mix.
Just listened to that 6,5 minute extended mix done in classic style of Thursday and it's great to here the different parts shine through.
----
You've got me all wrong

Future Lover

Re: No more LAYERS please!

#2 Post by Future Lover »

Okay boomer
You need to familiarize yourself with the mess that is "It's a sin".

Greendrake

#3 Post by Greendrake »

Layers are fine provided that... they also release them as stems/multitrack so that we could enjoy them separately. But they do not do it yet except for a few exceptions. Bastards.

leesmapman

#4 Post by leesmapman »

The more layers, the better. Now bring me Trevor Horn and turn those layers up to 11!

retrofuturist

#5 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Telys,

I hear what you're saying, and the album mix of Dreamland is a good example of "more is less" in terms of tossing everything in at once, and giving no real sense of light and shade, but Pet Shop Boys do still do many pared back arrangements.

I suspect (and tell me if I'm wrong) what you're really after is something more "80s"... with a strong synth bass, strong (but not 4-to-the-floor) percussion, a synth pad, and a synth lead... instrumentation that combines well, but has layers that are clearly delineated... thus the layers can be enjoyed in their own right.

Retro. :)

jasonjohn

#6 Post by jasonjohn »

I don't get it, Discography has songs packed with layers. Heart and Suburbia became a successful singles because of added layers.

Price has been good at the cleaner sound, imo.

But really, can't beat Elysium or Behavior for richness while still having some space.

telys

#7 Post by telys »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020, 10:08 pm Greetings Telys,

I hear what you're saying, and the album mix of Dreamland is a good example of "more is less" in terms of tossing everything in at once, and giving no real sense of light and shade, but Pet Shop Boys do still do many pared back arrangements.

I suspect (and tell me if I'm wrong) what you're really after is something more "80s"... with a strong synth bass, strong (but not 4-to-the-floor) percussion, a synth pad, and a synth lead... instrumentation that combines well, but has layers that are clearly delineated... thus the layers can be enjoyed in their own right.

Retro. :)
You nailed it!
----
You've got me all wrong

Danimal

#8 Post by Danimal »

There was interview given by Pete Gleadall I think, although it could have been Bob Krushaar, back in "Literally" around the time of "Bilingual" where they mentioned the sentiments you're echoing. In the interview they stated they were always counseling Neil and Chris to strip back their arrangements more.

telys

#9 Post by telys »

Danimal wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020, 6:27 pm There was interview given by Pete Gleadall I think, although it could have been Bob Krushaar, back in "Literally" around the time of "Bilingual" where they mentioned the sentiments you're echoing. In the interview they stated they were always counseling Neil and Chris to strip back their arrangements more.
Yep, they need that counseling. A lot of great music has been made adhering to the less is more-doctrine.
----
You've got me all wrong

Nickname

#10 Post by Nickname »

The best PSB songs have many layers on them. You can always listen the demo versions, these ones have less layers on them. :dance:

For a good song is necessary a good melody and good layers on it. The lyrics are not particulary interesting for me. :mrgreen:

glennjridge

#11 Post by glennjridge »

Ive always preferred the everything and the kitchen sink style of PSB instrumentation. I think its in their blood.
They cant help themselves. I think there’s almost no chance of a sort of stripped down albun

markrobertnolan

#12 Post by markrobertnolan »

Whereas the psychological harm created by the utterly embarrassing “Wedding in Berlin” - a cultural scar for life, means I’m not even sure what I want any more..... some quiet? A real summing up of what it’s all about? Like Joan Crawford doing “The Trog” and Bette Davis doing “Wicked Stepmother.” Yes- that analogous. Thank goodness for the previous two albums.

glennjridge

#13 Post by glennjridge »

What still bothers me about wedding in berlin, is the verse parts where the song goes soft, are actually really beautiful....but theres so little of that in comparison with the constant droning.

the final Hotspot version sounds to me like one of those remixes on a B-side by some dude who ruins the beautiful PSB song extracting everything that nice about it and making a boring club track...but in this case...its the reverse...the PSB version is like a bad version.

Tom Angel

#14 Post by Tom Angel »

I agree fully with the fact Andrew Dawson was perfect for them.

I like most of Elysium, (ignoring Hold on) , but songs aside, the production is amazing.

I do like the layers, but recently, on Hotspot, it felt as though the songs could have been stretched longer, the ideas were there, they needed more space to breathe.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls