Pastoral Pet Shop Boys

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Dog

Pastoral Pet Shop Boys

#1 Post by Dog »

The new edition of Annually might give us more clues, but we’re at what would usually be a point of inflection in the PSB journey. Roughly every 10 years Pet Shop Boys rip up their template and redefine what PSB can be. Behaviour, Release and Elysium each saw them move into more reflective mood, trying out new sounds and being less obviously focused on producing hit singles. With the Stuart Price trilogy complete, another natural cycle has come to an end and no doubt they are again considering where to go next.

The biggest possible clue we have is Burning the heather, which was originally supposed to be “the key track” for the next album, but was instead completed for Hotspot. It’s a very English song, set in the north, and featuring the return of the acoustic guitar.

It’s hard not to imagine the pandemic at least indirectly having an influence. Like most, Neil and Chris clearly spent much time in isolation. Neil took photos of trees and compiled a pastoral playlist for the Observer. Chris enjoyed coastal walks and time with his mum in Blackpool. As global citizens they were grounded, gifted time for introspection; to reconsider and reevaluate. Meanwhile the outside world continued to fracture and combust. All prime influential PSB fodder.

They worked separately on musical projects, finding new ways to collaborate while apart. They returned to remixing for the first time in 15 years with a clear demarcation of duties: Chris provided the music and Neil added vocals, most likely from the comfort of their own houses. Cricket wife and the new lockdown version of West End girls also embodied a similar new way of working, with Neil employing his new GarageBand skills and iPhone microphone.

Maybe most notably, Neil initiated the Dust revival, pulling out his acoustic guitar and recording the Incredible String Band-influenced tracks he had written back in the seventies. And it is interesting that Chris has declined to work on these, deeming them not to be Pet Shop Boys’ songs. Neil could choose to keep these songs for his own private appreciation, but it is hard not to think he wouldn’t have plans for the recordings. Are they the bones of a solo album? Could Neil reform the surviving members of Dust? Or is it time for a new supergroup? They’ve already met with Tracey Thorn - a singer with her own folk roots - to moot a potential collaboration. Could Tracey be the new Maureen? What about more work with their new collaborator Bernard Butler? It is interesting to think that the next album might not be a Pet Shop Boys one at all, particularly given there’s not much in the above that suggests an aligned way forward for the duo.

One thing we do know is that Chris - the heart versus Neil’s head - tends to be the driving force in terms of dictating mood and direction and no doubt he will be the one that ultimately influences their next steps. He likes a dose of misery more than most and his commitment to sustained mask wearing suggests he is still in a personal lockdown of sorts. But equally they are contrary and often go for the unexpected. What would be more unlikely than a fourth album in the Price “trilogy”?

It may be that they have already addressed and answered these questions. Vinyl production lead times mean any 2023 release would already need to be close to the mastering stage. Maybe they will be heading off on tour next month with a clear sense of their next musical direction, or with album 15 already in the bag. Whatever our own personal wishes, it’s thrilling to think that nearly 40 years on their creativity and capacity for reinvention can still keep us captivated.
Woof.

daveid

Re: Pastoral Pet Shop Boys

#2 Post by daveid »

I don't think there will be a new album. My gut feeling is that they will move into other projects now.

Patrick Bateman

#3 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I think there's something in the can as there's no CD with this year's Annually. The Dust thing was surprising but pretty funny to hear that Chris has rejected the demos. :lol: Maybe those artistic differences will force them to split up, with two competing 'Pet Shop Boys' on tour; Chris recruiting David Van Day and Neil hiring a full orchestra to replace his former drum machine.

MikeyC

#4 Post by MikeyC »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022, 5:26 pm I think there's something in the can as there's no CD with this year's Annually. The Dust thing was surprising but pretty funny to hear that Chris has rejected the demos. :lol: Maybe those artistic differences will force them to split up, with two competing 'Pet Shop Boys' on tour; Chris recruiting David Van Day and Neil hiring a full orchestra to replace his former drum machine.
Ouch!! 😲

Dog

#5 Post by Dog »

daveid wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022, 11:37 am I don't think there will be a new album. My gut feeling is that they will move into other projects now.
Well that is another option. I do hope that’s not the case.
Woof.

sonicbleep

#6 Post by sonicbleep »

GONE BYE BYE
Last edited by sonicbleep on Fri 27 May 2022, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonjohn

#7 Post by jasonjohn »

Dog wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022, 11:29 am Maybe most notably, Neil initiated the Dust revival, pulling out his acoustic guitar and recording the Incredible String Band-influenced tracks he had written back in the seventies. And it is interesting that Chris has declined to work on these, deeming them not to be Pet Shop Boys’ songs. Neil could choose to keep these songs for his own private appreciation, but it is hard not to think he wouldn’t have plans for the recordings. Are they the bones of a solo album? Could Neil reform the surviving members of Dust? Or is it time for a new supergroup? They’ve already met with Tracey Thorn - a singer with her own folk roots - to moot a potential collaboration. Could Tracey be the new Maureen? What about more work with their new collaborator Bernard Butler? It is interesting to think that the next album might not be a Pet Shop Boys one at all, particularly given there’s not much in the above that suggests an aligned way forward for the duo.
Sorry, could not disagree with this less 😅

I don't think the Dust material would be anything to write home about. Outside of a "Neil the PSB singer" context there's no reason to believe they are anything noteworthy; and Chris has quickly established there is no further PSB context and I trust his opinion! Would still like to hear them, of course.

(lovely articulate post, btw. even if I disagreed)

Dog

#8 Post by Dog »

jasonjohn wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022, 2:05 pm
Dog wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022, 11:29 am Maybe most notably, Neil initiated the Dust revival, pulling out his acoustic guitar and recording the Incredible String Band-influenced tracks he had written back in the seventies. And it is interesting that Chris has declined to work on these, deeming them not to be Pet Shop Boys’ songs. Neil could choose to keep these songs for his own private appreciation, but it is hard not to think he wouldn’t have plans for the recordings. Are they the bones of a solo album? Could Neil reform the surviving members of Dust? Or is it time for a new supergroup? They’ve already met with Tracey Thorn - a singer with her own folk roots - to moot a potential collaboration. Could Tracey be the new Maureen? What about more work with their new collaborator Bernard Butler? It is interesting to think that the next album might not be a Pet Shop Boys one at all, particularly given there’s not much in the above that suggests an aligned way forward for the duo.
Sorry, could not disagree with this less 😅

I don't think the Dust material would be anything to write home about. Outside of a "Neil the PSB singer" context there's no reason to believe they are anything noteworthy; and Chris has quickly established there is no further PSB context and I trust his opinion! Would still like to hear them, of course.

(lovely articulate post, btw. even if I disagreed)
Well, to be fair I didn’t really express an opinion. But from listening to the Radio 4 interview it actually seems that the tracks Neil has recently recorded weren’t the Dust tracks at all, but other songs he wrote in the seventies.
Woof.

ludwig_iv

#9 Post by ludwig_iv »

This is a bit of a depressing thread. I certainly hope we've not heard the last of PSB.

Dog

#10 Post by Dog »

Six months on and still no clearer on their next musical direction. Will anything appear between now and the resumption of the Dreamworld tour? Maybe the Modern Fascism EP? Will we need to wait until the Dreamworld (and mooted Unity Australia dates) are over until a new album appears? We could well be looking at their longest gap ever between albums. Hopefully they will be spending some time over the coming months back in the studio.
Woof.

jasonjohn

#11 Post by jasonjohn »

After the trilogy, which was both upbeat and gloomy, but not big on themes, I wonder if they will travel with the whole circus next time around

jasonjohn

#12 Post by jasonjohn »

Dog wrote: Sun 23 Oct 2022, 11:40 am and mooted Unity Australia dates
:o Where is that gossip discussed?

EDIT: oo found something here viewtopic.php?p=587241&hilit=australia#p587241

Although maybe the schedule is just too weird now. Yet again, they don't seem to have concert commitments until mid-2023 :pray:

Dog

#13 Post by Dog »

jasonjohn wrote:
Dog wrote: Sun 23 Oct 2022, 11:40 am and mooted Unity Australia dates
:o Where is that gossip discussed?

EDIT: oo found something here viewtopic.php?p=587241&hilit=australia#p587241

Although maybe the schedule is just too weird now. Yet again, they don't seem to have concert commitments until mid-2023 :pray:
Afrika plus the other tour musicians said it was being looked at, during an Instagram Q&A. Take a look back at her Instagram posts.
Woof.

jules

#14 Post by jules »

Yes i hope they will split up, if it gives two psb album. Then a third album together again. Royksopp made a trilogy this year, with many awesome songs, i think psb have enough material to do the same.

Marie loves PSB

#15 Post by Marie loves PSB »

jules wrote: Sun 23 Oct 2022, 10:18 pm Yes i hope they will split up, if it gives two psb album. Then a third album together again. Royksopp made a trilogy this year, with many awesome songs, i think psb have enough material to do the same.
Many thanks Jules. :D :up: I didn't know about Royksopp! I have ordered them now but, the box cd set has sold out so had to buy them on their own. (I only buy from HMV).