Page 2 of 3
Posted: Fri 09 Apr 2004, 6:44 pm
by Eldritch
Actually what I was trying to say was this: I hate this way of thinking that EVERYONE should like or buy something. That's exactly what Lucasfilm is trying to make us believe - that Star Wars are such a cultural monument that everyone should buy them. They are not. Because nothing really is. I think everyone should be proud to like whatever they like and spend their money on that. It's no-one duty to buy the Star Wars box set, or LOTR or Citizen Kane or whatever. Not even Pet Shop Boys albums. Love what you love, but don't make it a cultural imperative for everyone else to love it as well.
Posted: Fri 09 Apr 2004, 8:21 pm
by Your Funny Uncle
I don't think that Georgr Lucas or anyone else actully expects EVERYONE to buy this. It's just the usual marketing hyperbole...
Posted: Fri 09 Apr 2004, 8:24 pm
by Technotrancemix
Your Funny Uncle wrote:Similarly, I've bought the extended editions of each Lord of the Rings film.
Not bought them from me for £3 each???

Posted: Fri 09 Apr 2004, 8:30 pm
by Your Funny Uncle
technotrancemix wrote:Your Funny Uncle wrote:Similarly, I've bought the extended editions of each Lord of the Rings film.
Not bought them from me for £3 each???

Why would I want to buy anything from you?
Posted: Fri 09 Apr 2004, 9:12 pm
by Technotrancemix
Your Funny Uncle wrote:Why would I want to buy anything from you?
Good service and value for money?

Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 7:15 pm
by Markpro
The reason George Lucas didn't want them on DVD was because he alwasy said he was going to release them on DVD in order, But he has changed his mind so by christmas 2004 there will be a massive charge to the tills for the box set of episode 4,5,6 and the fourth dvd which is huge bonus disc, then by christmas 2005 episode 3 ( rise of the empire i think it'll be called )will be out on DVD which will make him evenmore money. a very clever marketing ploy from the master of the action figure movies.
Posted: Tue 13 Apr 2004, 6:46 pm
by Flaffer
technotrancemix wrote:Don't like SW. I'll stick to my Transformers box sets - I must get the 4th one as it's been out for ages!!!
are the box sets any good?, I've looked at them for a while but so far have only bought the movie and an individual disc
Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 11:24 am
by DJCulture
Can't wait for the DVD release. It's about time. Thank Gawd we haven't got to wait until 2006 or 2007.
I think I must be the only person on the planet that actually likes all 5 Star Wars episodes (so far).
Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 11:27 am
by Markpro
no way, you are not alone on that one, i wasn't a great fan of episode 1 but after watching it again recently iv'e had a change of heart
Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 11:33 am
by Steve Fett
DJCulture wrote:Can't wait for the DVD release. It's about time. Thank Gawd we haven't got to wait until 2006 or 2007.
I think I must be the only person on the planet that actually likes all 5 Star Wars episodes (so far).
Ditto !!! I love ALL 5 films so far too (AOTC and ESB being my faves)
I think so far they all work well as a saga...both OT and PT have there advantages (hence my name, Fett!!)
Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 11:34 am
by DJCulture
I think a lot of people will re-evaluate the prequel trilogy once it's complete.
Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 11:40 am
by Steve Fett
DJCulture wrote:I think a lot of people will re-evaluate the prequel trilogy once it's complete.
definately - people see it as the best trilogy of the 80's vs the "other" StarWars movies that are "ruined with too much CG !!! hehehe....
oh please, its the CG that makes these type of movies the visual masterpieces that they are. So many talented people have done such brilliant work on Episodes 1 and 2 (and 3), and the artform is one to trully admire ! Brilliant work indeed...

Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 12:09 pm
by Your Funny Uncle
While I think that episode 1 is the weakest of the 5 films released so far, I have still enjoyed the new films immensely. Episode 2 is great. I love the little details like bit where you see the early design of the death star...
Having said that, the sequence near the end of episode 2 where Amidala is flung from the transport, and is lying prone on the floor, then a trooper asks if she's alright, and she suddenly springs up as though nothing has happened, is pretty poor...

Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 12:33 pm
by morrison
I L O V E starwars
we have them all on video
Posted: Wed 14 Apr 2004, 5:14 pm
by Technotrancemix
Flaffer wrote:are the box sets any good?, I've looked at them for a while but so far have only bought the movie and an individual disc
Just ask the millions of fans who've bought them - Trickydisco, freshdebesh, technotrancemix
The first series box set is a must for any DVD fan. R1 only.