Page 2 of 2
Posted: Wed 05 May 2004, 10:11 pm
by joncool5
Avalon wrote:Yeah, this must be the best off-topic thread ever!!!
I hate going e-shopping and coming across such ads as "If you like PSB you may also like these: ..." and then they list all them dull bands and singers.
Ok, enough of moaning (even though it was justifiable).
Erm, guess I don't have anything else to say besides moaning then... Later perhaps
This happened to me with Null Device. They are bloody awful.
Posted: Wed 05 May 2004, 10:15 pm
by joncool5
Eldritch wrote:
I guess it's also a matter of age. You're 12 years younger than me, so you listen to all these bands as equals, whereas DM really meant the world to me during the years 1986-1992 when they sounded like no-one else. So I can't really listen to Iris & co. on their own merits, because I just keep hearing the DM influences and nothing else.
I might only be 22, but I've got front row Sparks tickets at Meltdown and have deep and diverse musical taste. DM were an important band, but not in the same sense as New Order or Human League. DM were bound to be inspirational and these new synthpop bands do admittedly sound a bit like them, but does it make them any worse for being inspired by DM?
Posted: Wed 05 May 2004, 10:27 pm
by Ewok
Camouflage had 3 very good songs: Love is a shield, The great commandment and Suspicious love.
Only like one song by De/Vision which is 'Heart shaped tumour'
Posted: Thu 06 May 2004, 12:03 pm
by Eldritch
joncool5 wrote:Eldritch wrote:
I guess it's also a matter of age. You're 12 years younger than me, so you listen to all these bands as equals, whereas DM really meant the world to me during the years 1986-1992 when they sounded like no-one else. So I can't really listen to Iris & co. on their own merits, because I just keep hearing the DM influences and nothing else.
I might only be 22, but I've got front row Sparks tickets at Meltdown and have deep and diverse musical taste. DM were an important band, but not in the same sense as New Order or Human League. DM were bound to be inspirational and these new synthpop bands do admittedly sound a bit like them, but does it make them any worse for being inspired by DM?
I didn't want to sound condescending. Sorry, if it came across like that.
I'm not bothered by these bands being inspired by DM, it's just that I feel that they have nothing worthwhile of their own to bring to the party. Anyway, I disagree with you about DM's importance: I would argue that the four most important British bands of the Eighties were The Smiths, New Order, The Cure and Depeche Mode. They all created their own sound and influenced loads of next generation bands. For some reason DM has never received their critical due in the UK, but in USA and in Europe they are cited as an influence by bands as varied as Red Hot Chili Peppers to Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins to Marilyn Manson – not to even techno pioneers from DJ Shadow to Chemical Brothers.
Posted: Thu 06 May 2004, 1:59 pm
by morrison
i do not now them <shame over me>

Posted: Thu 06 May 2004, 5:52 pm
by joncool5
[quote="
I didn't want to sound condescending. Sorry, if it came across like that.
I'm not bothered by these bands being inspired by DM, it's just that I feel that they have nothing worthwhile of their own to bring to the party. Anyway, I disagree with you about DM's importance: I would argue that the four most important British bands of the Eighties were The Smiths, New Order, The Cure and Depeche Mode. They all created their own sound and influenced loads of next generation bands. For some reason DM has never received their critical due in the UK, but in USA and in Europe they are cited as an influence by bands as varied as Red Hot Chili Peppers to Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins to Marilyn Manson – not to even techno pioneers from DJ Shadow to Chemical Brothers.[/quote]
I hope I haven't given the impression that I don't like DM. I do love them too, and can see their influence on the worldwide industrial and metal scene. I think that they have received critical acclaim in the UK, but agree that they are not held as highly as New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, or The Smiths. The Cure have only recently had reappraisal, as they were slagged off by the Uk press for years. DM are held as highly as the likes of PSB and Human League. I don't think DM are as important as New Order or The Smiths for the simple reason that they went a bit stadium rock by the early 1990's.
Posted: Thu 06 May 2004, 7:54 pm
by Eldritch
For me the whole idea of comparing DM with Echo And The Bunnymen is absurd. EATB were a good band, but in the end they were also-rans, who never realized their full potential. As for DM's stadium rock phase, you must refer to Songs Of faith And Devotion, but I must disagree: while it's not their greatest record, it does include Walking In My Shoes, In Your Room, Condemnation and Judas which are among the best things they've ever done. U2 spent their Nineties stealing from that phase of DM (Violator included). And on the other hand The Smiths's recorded history lasted only four years and New Order has taken several long pauses.
I know Finland is not exactly the center of the rock world, but here 75 % of the popular rock bands - most of them don't even sound like DM - say they are huge fans of DM. In the late Eighties/early Nineties DM had such a popularirty in Europe and USA that all other UK bands can only dream about. Therefore it's so annoying to see, when ina ll these most influental band -polls bands like Stone Roses always win bands like DM. Where exactly can the influence of Stone Roses be heard now?
Posted: Thu 06 May 2004, 10:58 pm
by joncool5
where can echo and the bunnymen be heard now???