Summer movies 2004
- BlueSwan
- Posts: 2636
- Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:42 pm
I voted for Harry Potter 3, which narrowly beat out "The Day After Tomorrow". The first two Potter films were mediocre, but this one should be really good and the third book is way better than the first two as well.
I've just been to see "The Day After Tomorrow", which was highly anticipated as well due to the special effects. And the special effects were indeed great. I enjoyed the movie throughout and hope it will be succesfulfor political reasons, but it's not a masterpiece by any means.
I'll probably go watch Troy within the next week, but I passed on Van Helsing. My bet is that if it had been released just a little later few people would go watch it, but because it was the first of this years big summer movies lots of people went. It's supposed to be pretty bad.
The trailers they showed before "The Day" were almost all of big summer films like "Harry Potter", "Spiderman 2" and "I, Robot". Frankly I think this year there are too many big actionpacked movies. I think at least one or two of them will tank. "I, Robot" could be the one - the trailer didn't really do much for me at all.
Shrek 2 is shattering all records in the US at the moment and will probably be huge worldwide. It offers a nice change of pace from the actionoriented movies and has broad appeal. I think it will be this years major hit movie.
For the remains of the summer I (along with my wife) will probably go watch "Troy" (within a week), "Harry Potter" (already got tickets booked), Shrek 2, and if I can pursuade her: Spider-man 2 (she didn't like the first one - I did!). I'll almost definitely pass on Catwoman, but I haven't made my mind up about the rest of the bunch.
I've just been to see "The Day After Tomorrow", which was highly anticipated as well due to the special effects. And the special effects were indeed great. I enjoyed the movie throughout and hope it will be succesfulfor political reasons, but it's not a masterpiece by any means.
I'll probably go watch Troy within the next week, but I passed on Van Helsing. My bet is that if it had been released just a little later few people would go watch it, but because it was the first of this years big summer movies lots of people went. It's supposed to be pretty bad.
The trailers they showed before "The Day" were almost all of big summer films like "Harry Potter", "Spiderman 2" and "I, Robot". Frankly I think this year there are too many big actionpacked movies. I think at least one or two of them will tank. "I, Robot" could be the one - the trailer didn't really do much for me at all.
Shrek 2 is shattering all records in the US at the moment and will probably be huge worldwide. It offers a nice change of pace from the actionoriented movies and has broad appeal. I think it will be this years major hit movie.
For the remains of the summer I (along with my wife) will probably go watch "Troy" (within a week), "Harry Potter" (already got tickets booked), Shrek 2, and if I can pursuade her: Spider-man 2 (she didn't like the first one - I did!). I'll almost definitely pass on Catwoman, but I haven't made my mind up about the rest of the bunch.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)
http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)
http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)
-
Scandal
- rags
- Posts: 735
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:23 pm
Harry Potter is absolutely brilliant! Although not all the reviews are positive about this movie, they ABSOLUTELY managed to cath the atmosphere of the books, the camera use and special effects are BRILLIANT and not to mention the acting is a LOT better then the previous two movies (Emma Watson is still the best, the rest of the child actors could do with replacements really)...
And to the animators that created Buckbeak: _o_
And to the animators that created Buckbeak: _o_
-
madhatter88
- Posts: 121
- Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:15 pm
- MissTrickyDisco
- Posts: 183
- Joined: Fri 21 Nov 2003, 11:34 pm
- Contact:
Troy: Gawd, no. Brad Pitt is the ugliest of uglies out there, and can't act to save his, on any others lives. I hear Eric Bana and Sean Bean do the movies some good justice though.
Van Helsing: SUCKS!! *barf*
The Day After Tomorrow: I loved it, but then again, I LOVE disaster movies, and it's always nice to see the USA get taken down a peg or three....
It was *at least* half an hour too long though, and during the mandatory American "soppy" scenes we enjoyed ourselves by laughing our heads off and throwing popcorn at the screen...
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I am still very anti-Harry Potter since everyone is pressuring me into reading it. NAY I SAY!
Stepford Wives/Shrek 2/King Arthur:No. Will maybe watch those when they show up on TV.
Catwoman: I think I will actually, just to see what they do with it. But then again, even if it flops, I wont be dissapointed, since I'm a Marvelite.
I, Robot: I just saw the trailer for this, and I think it will definitely be one of my must-see's of the summer.
Van Helsing: SUCKS!! *barf*
The Day After Tomorrow: I loved it, but then again, I LOVE disaster movies, and it's always nice to see the USA get taken down a peg or three....
It was *at least* half an hour too long though, and during the mandatory American "soppy" scenes we enjoyed ourselves by laughing our heads off and throwing popcorn at the screen...
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I am still very anti-Harry Potter since everyone is pressuring me into reading it. NAY I SAY!
Stepford Wives/Shrek 2/King Arthur:No. Will maybe watch those when they show up on TV.
Catwoman: I think I will actually, just to see what they do with it. But then again, even if it flops, I wont be dissapointed, since I'm a Marvelite.
I, Robot: I just saw the trailer for this, and I think it will definitely be one of my must-see's of the summer.
-
Scandal
- BlueSwan
- Posts: 2636
- Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:42 pm
I just saw "Troy". I didn't expect to much, but I thought it was a very very good movie. Much better than expected. I loved the ambiguity of it - that the main character wasn't really the hero at all. I had never read "The Iliad" but was familiar with the general story line. However, not knowing the specifics of the story made it a very compelling movie experience. Best movie I've seen this year, I think.
Next weekend it's Harry Potter time!
Next weekend it's Harry Potter time!
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)
http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)
http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)
- Deschanel
- Posts: 2369
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 7:23 pm
I was looking forward to "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".
But it's pushed back till Sept.
Giant robots invading 1939 Manhattan. All CGI except the actors : Jude Law, Gwyneth, Angelina Jolie.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount ... ftomorrow/
But it's pushed back till Sept.
Giant robots invading 1939 Manhattan. All CGI except the actors : Jude Law, Gwyneth, Angelina Jolie.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount ... ftomorrow/