Page 4 of 6
Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2004, 9:20 pm
by amhilde
I FORGOT ABOUT THE FOG!!! Oh that one is a CLASSIC! Who knew air could be so scary! I havent seen that one in years...
Motel Hell is pretty good- funny too
Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2004, 9:55 pm
by Glenny4
amhilde wrote:I FORGOT ABOUT THE FOG!!! Oh that one is a CLASSIC! Who knew air could be so scary! I havent seen that one in years...
He's made some really classic films over the years John Carpenter got to be up there has one of the best with a list like this.
Halloween
The Fog
The Thing
Assault on Precinct 13
Prince of Darkness
They Live
Big Trouble in Little China
In the Mouth of Madness
Escape from New York
Christine
Starman
Dark Star
And he does all the great theme music for his films as well.
Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2004, 10:33 pm
by amhilde
yes, but the original Thing was the best. Like the original Blob
Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2004, 10:49 pm
by StevePSB
Not into horror as such, more thrillers, but here are a couple I have in my DVD collection that spring to mind:
28 Days later (top, top film)
Shallow Grave
I don't watch as many films as most people as I am not much of a fan of American films and TV (although there are exceptions!). I do like English/British films so it limits the choice somewhat.
StevePSB
Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2004, 10:53 pm
by define psb
You know what i miss! All thse old B&W 'American B movies'
Giant Ants, Bugs as big as Empire State building--- alot of them had Dana Sock whoops I mean Dana Andrews in them too!
They came from outer space, the body snatchers----and one Film I cannot remember the title of. But it had the two guys who were in Voyage to Bottom of the sea, the Admiral and the Captain. The plot was that some creatures from outer space had landed --- they turned out to look a bit like the hatchling creature in 'Alien' films.
I guess only those of you over a certain age will know the films I mean

Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2004, 11:53 pm
by Scandal
StevePSB wrote:Not into horror as such, more thrillers, but here are a couple I have in my DVD collection that spring to mind:
28 Days later (top, top film)
Shallow Grave
StevePSB
Shallow Grave is a good film. I saw it on TV a couple of months ago. I cannot now believe that before then I had always thought it was a comedy!
Posted: Wed 07 Apr 2004, 12:22 am
by Glenny4
amhilde wrote:yes, but the original Thing was the best. Like the original Blob
I think the remakes of The Thing & The Blob where better than the origanls same with The Fly i like the remake much better i must like all the gore in the remakes
But then again you can't touch the originals of Invasion of the Body Snatchers & King Kong
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 7:18 pm
by Markpro
28 days later id a cracker, so is the ring has anyone seen the japanese version ( the original ) it meant ot be fantastic.
Salem's Lot scared me to death when i seen it alone as a 10 year old.
and Hallo'ween as well.
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 7:20 pm
by tweety
Markpro wrote:28 days later id a cracker, so is the ring has anyone seen the japanese version ( the original ) it meant ot be fantastic.
Salem's Lot scared me to death when i seen it alone as a 10 year old.
and Hallo'ween as well.
the original ring is crap. or maybe i just don't get the japanese. not scary at all!
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 7:36 pm
by Dreamcatcher2003
How come doesn't Alien appear on any list here? Along with Helloween, it is a milestone in the history of horror movies.
As for Kubrick's Shining, leave that aside and go for the one King shot for TV. Much loyal to the book, more horrorful and avoids any pompous, overblown self-references Kubrick loves so much.
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 7:57 pm
by Markpro
Yes Yes Yes
I Had Forgotten about Alien, The ending where Ripley is on her own in the escape craft is terrifying.
I remember the Thing as well that was pretty scary , I have the Fog on DVD but when i watched it recently it just didn't seem as scary to me as before
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 8:14 pm
by Dreamcatcher2003
Maybe it is not the usual or proper horror film we are talking about but Brian De Palma's Carrie is brilliant. It is one of the magical moments of both him and that precious master, Stephen King. As usual he plays on rather true psychological horror that human beings do each other.
And any horror movie starring Jamie Lee Curtis is always good; she even saved the last silly Halloween part from being a total flop when she graced there even only for a few seconds.
By the way, I notice that no one considers Jaws a horror film...though it actually is.
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 8:16 pm
by Dreamcatcher2003
And there is that Jacob's Ladder, which gave me nightmares for years.
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 9:31 pm
by nightporter
The Ring (US version) is scary. There's two psycho children in it - I hate children, they scare the daylights out of me!
The Exorcist is the most boring and the most moronic horror film ever.
Posted: Sun 11 Apr 2004, 11:43 pm
by StevePSB
Actually, I wondered about Alien not being in here too! I know I said I'm not much into American films, but Alien has to be one of the exceptions. Great stuff!
StevePSB