Page 1 of 5
Is life more simple when you're young?
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 5:33 pm
by Harry
I turn 20 on 4 May (a mere week away). I know it's no age at all but I'll miss being a teenager. Seems like I've been one forever.
Neil and Chris have always disagreed on whether life is simpler when you're a teenager or an adult. I have yet to find out. What are your opinions?
HCIP
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 5:43 pm
by PigletWildebeest
some things get simpler, others get more complicated.
To be honest, I can't really remember if the general feeling is that things were simpler or not.
I do know I'm a lot happier with who I am than back when I was a quasi-permanently depressed teenager.
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 5:43 pm
by Pani
I go along with Chris' opinion.
He says life is harder when you're young (he has pointed this out in the booklet of Bilingual Further Listening --> Se A Vida È as far as I remember) as you have to learn a lot for life. You have to make many mistakes by trying to figure out which is wrong or right which may be hard and disappointing sometimes, but you need to make these experiences which are important for your later life.
You can speak (and behave) from experience when you have your age which is supposed to be much easier. You can be really cool then ...
BTW: I am speaking from experience here too as I am 34 years old!

Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 5:48 pm
by PigletWildebeest
Till when are you considered "young" by PSB anyway?
Am I still young?
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 5:56 pm
by dizzy
I wish I knew...
But I do know that I love my life at the moment, even though things are very complicated a lot of the time! I have never been so happy before... I cried tears of joy for the first time of my life yesterday.
I'm one of those who try not to worry about hard things too much. They just mess you up! (just spent a month worrying, that was too much for me) Being young and naive you seem to sort of have an excuse to do whatever you like without thinking way too much, and take the consequenses afterwards. That's pretty easy to me.
Hakuna Matata is my motto, but sure, there are times I fear things will come around and bite me in the arse once and for all... then I might have to grow up.
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 6:02 pm
by Aaron
I'd do anything to be back in high school.
Being an adult sucks.
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 6:05 pm
by shamelessbehave
To me it was easier when I was younger, ignorance helps to live happier!
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 6:37 pm
by Lethe
Shenandoah wrote:I'd do anything to be back in high school.
Being an adult sucks.
Hear, hear!
I feel such a perv for still lusting after eighteen year old girls - is there a point where you start fancying girls your own age?
Or am I just an old lech?

Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 7:13 pm
by DJAMIX
IMO:
When you are a child life is much more simple, because you don't want to learn anything;
When you become a teenager, you want to learn everything about life, so you have to learn a lot and it gets a real mess.
When you are an adult, things are more simple, but not better. You learned most of things of life. However, learning is one of the most important and extraordinary things of life.
Conclusion: life may be not that simple, but it's much better when you're young!
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 7:20 pm
by Aaron
I don't know about you but my thirst for knowledge was at its peak when I was a child. All I wanted to do as a teenager was to goof off and never learn. Now as an adult... I'm learning too much.
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 7:22 pm
by Shopper
It was simple, because the expectations as a child from others are much less ! When u grow, you automatically have to assume several responsibilities..whether you like it or not or are expected to behave in a certain fashion
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 8:18 pm
by amhilde
This is probably the first year where im dreading my birthday because its another year gone, ill officially be in my late Twenties, all my friends are getting married, and i STILL dont know what i want to do with my life. I dont even know where i want to live and some days i dont even know what i want to eat- last night i had bacon for dinner because it was the only thing appealing in the fridge. All i know is that i want an adventure and not the status quo- then I look at what i do and realise its about as status quo as it gets.
Harry- all i can say is dont live in a crap hole of a town and do what you want to do. Your parents mean well, but they dont know what you want or need anymore. Just some words of advice

Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 8:40 pm
by Aaron
amhilde wrote:This is probably the first year where im dreading my birthday because its another year gone, ill officially be in my late Twenties, all my friends are getting married, and i STILL dont know what i want to do with my life. I dont even know where i want to live and some days i dont even know what i want to eat- last night i had bacon for dinner because it was the only thing appealing in the fridge. All i know is that i want an adventure and not the status quo- then I look at what i do and realise its about as status quo as it gets.
Amhilde, I'll marry you if you want. But you'll have to brave the Great Canadian Cold Front, there's no way in hell I'm going to Reno. I mean, I'll go far for my wife... but not that far. Let me know.
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 9:20 pm
by PigletWildebeest
bloody hell Lethe, I thought you were a woman... (not just because of the janet-avatar)
I hated being a teenager.
Now I get neurotic, thinking I'm messing up the rest of my life with everything I do. That I should start thinking about kids and moving in with my girlfriend, and getting married and getting a decent job and stop learning... that's what I'm most afraid of I think. That I'll stop learning.
Posted: Tue 27 Apr 2004, 9:25 pm
by Lethe
PigletWildebeest wrote:bloody hell Lethe, I thought you were a woman... (not just because of the janet-avatar)
So women can't be lechs then?
