Page 1 of 2

What is everyone up to this weekend?

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 5:16 pm
by Leeds City Boy
What are you all up to this weekend?

It's May Day weekend in the UK! I've got all three days off and am still coming down from my holidays last week so I won't be up to much.

Looking forward to a great weekend of racing with the Guineas at Newmarket. Carry On Katie E/W is my big tip for Sunday's 1000 Guineas.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 5:27 pm
by Avalon
May Day's vappu in Finland so we're all gonna get drunk cos 1st of May is such a sexy little number (any reason is good enough).

We (i.e. Tweety, Nightporter and I) will be attentending a commie party at Tweety's place. Everyone should come in commie attire, but I'm afraid I'll be the only who'll look slightly convincing cos I happen to own a Russian naval captain suit (picked up for 2,50€ from Estonia, thank you very much) and Russian music will be played in one room (the one I'll be avoiding then).
Basically it's just a brilliant excuse to drink loads of Smirnoff, although I'll be smuggling my bottle of Martini with me.

Saturday is a good day to walk outside and laugh at people who aren't able to get up (properly), which is the majority of Finnish population. And then Nightporter has been so nice to get us into her parents' annual party with lots of famous people, so I've heard.
I'll just find a spot next to the buffet table and stay put till it's time to go to the weekly 80s party, Club Kajal, where incidentally I'll be playing again (if not, I'll be one very upset customer).

It's gonna be blast!!! I feel sorry for you people who don't have such traditional 1st of May celebrations as us...

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 5:28 pm
by Pani
I'll be on a bicycle tour with friends tomorrow as it is the first of may and we usually do a bike trip each year first may (which is official holiday in Germany). I do hope the weather lasts as good as the recent days. :D

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 5:32 pm
by Scandal
Earlsdon Festival on Monday. I like watching the up and coming bands play. Some of them are rather good considering how young they are (on average 16). Only problem is that I look really old compared to the rest of the audience....

Hmmm, as you live in Coventry, will you be going to the Earlsdon Festival? Do you think the Festival is not as good as it used to be since it moved to Hearsall Common? It was much better when it was a huge street party!

I think I will go and see 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' at the cinema as well.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 5:33 pm
by amhilde
In America we dont get May Day off- or a bank holiday. But its going to be hot this weekend so Ill be out running and biking for sure. And packing boxes since I have to move yet again.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 6:13 pm
by Hmmm
Scandal wrote:Earlsdon Festival on Monday. I like watching the up and coming bands play. Some of them are rather good considering how young they are (on average 16). Only problem is that I look really old compared to the rest of the audience....

Hmmm, as you live in Coventry, will you be going to the Earlsdon Festival? Do you think the Festival is not as good as it used to be since it moved to Hearsall Common? It was much better when it was a huge street party!

I think I will go and see 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' at the cinema as well.
Not Sure will see what the weather does. I liked it better in the Street :wink: .

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 7:32 pm
by jyllinge
I'm going to celebrate the "New Europe" to night, and then i´m going to work on my bachelor thesis all weekend....That if I have the diciplin for it!

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 7:33 pm
by Undertaker
Football weekend for me. Off to Blundell Park for Grimsby Town v Brentford in a battle of the shit. Grimsby could be relegated if they lose.

Sunday it's Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur. God knows why i keep throwing my money away watching garbage, but i do.

Dave

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 7:36 pm
by Lethe
Paninaro-Dancer wrote:I'll be on a bicycle tour with friends tomorrow as it is the first of may and we usually do a bike trip each year first may (which is official holiday in Germany). I do hope the weather lasts as good as the recent days. :D
Very Kraftwerk.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 9:05 pm
by Young Offender
Working half day on saturday and then maybe a movie saturday nite trying to decide on "Laws of Attraction" or "Man of Fire".

Also going to the Dodgers Baseball game on Sunday have front row seats by 3rd base!

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 9:30 pm
by amhilde
ohh YO- i have to say that Dodger Stadium is a great place to watch baseball- but then again i grew up watching at the piece of shit formerly known as County Stadium- so ANYWHERE is better than that! :P But honestly, its one of those nice old 50s stadiums that makes watching baseball there a real joy. Just the traffic leaving is pretty bad.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 9:39 pm
by Young Offender
amhilde wrote:ohh YO- i have to say that Dodger Stadium is a great place to watch baseball- but then again i grew up watching at the piece of shit formerly known as County Stadium- so ANYWHERE is better than that! :P But honestly, its one of those nice old 50s stadiums that makes watching baseball there a real joy. Just the traffic leaving is pretty bad.
I think the Stadium was built in 1964 (my birthyear), but it is a nice stadium to visit, always brings back memories of seeing electronic with psb's as well as dm, Genesis and others, and your right about the traffic, it can take at least an hour to get out of the parking lot.

I have season tickets about 15 rows back from the field in the shade, the tickets for this sundays game where given to me.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 9:41 pm
by amhilde
i just like getting the ice cream in a little baseball hat and a pretzel :) I still have one from last summer when we went on 4th of July to see the Diamondbacks play- I care for neither team, but its a fun atmosphere all the same.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 9:44 pm
by Young Offender
amhilde wrote:i just like getting the ice cream in a little baseball hat and a pretzel :) I still have one from last summer when we went on 4th of July to see the Diamondbacks play- I care for neither team, but its a fun atmosphere all the same.
I like the Ice Cream as well, I like the Chocalate Malts you get in a cup that are hard as a rock and take about an hour or so to eat as it takes a long time to soften.

If you are ever in town during a Dodger game I may have extra tickets that I can give you, as long as I have some notice.

Posted: Fri 30 Apr 2004, 10:38 pm
by amhilde
YO that could be quite fantastic- ill be down in the LA area either at the end of May or for 4th of July weekend again or middle August- ill let you know!