Page 1 of 1
Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Thu 27 May 2021, 12:32 pm
by rashomon
Wowser ... how time has flown!
30 years since this incredible album was released. My first ever CD purchase.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPX71jmIBwR/
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Thu 27 May 2021, 1:35 pm
by psbfannyc
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Mon 31 May 2021, 3:59 am
by lucienchardon
One of my favorite albums. I wish Electronic would release another record.
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Mon 31 May 2021, 9:42 am
by Synthrobot
Johnny Marr said Bernard Sumner takes too long to finish songs so it'll probably never happen.
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Mon 31 May 2021, 12:13 pm
by PopKid78
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2021, 5:23 am
by psbfannyc
"MUSIC RADAR: What do you sort of recall of putting Getting Away With It together with them?
JOHNNY MARR: Getting away with it happened because Pet Shop Boys and Bernard and I had some mutual friends. And the word kind of got around that Bernard was doing something aside from New Order, and he was doing it with me. And then Neil and Chris have always been very creative collaborators with, you know, Dusty [Springfield] and Liza Minelli and Bowie – and we just kind of got put together, really, by friends on a social basis. But Bernard and I had been feverishly concocting ideas and ideas. And then we made this plan.
"Neil and Chris had plans to come up and go to the Haçienda for the first time. And Bernard and I were working out of the bedroom of my house at first, and then I built a more elaborate studio in my house. And I’ve always tried to arrive at any kind of collaboration not empty-handed. Still, to this day, I try to come a little bit prepared. So either the day before the Neil and Chris’ arrived – or I think probably the day they arrived, on the Saturday afternoon, I went in the studio and wrote. We needed have something to start with, so I wrote the chorus, this chunk of music, which was the instrumental of what turned out to be Getting Away With It. So I had the chords and the topline, and David Palmer was also living at my house at that time – he was in The The with me, he was most known for being in ABC, a really cool, amazing musician. So David programmed the drums.
"This was in the afternoon when Neil and Chris were coming up. So when they arrived, I had this kind of chunk of music going round and round, which became the chorus of Getting Away With It. I think Neil very quickly had the lyrical hook, and he was going to go away and write the words. So within probably about 20 minutes, we started working on it. And then Bernard came up with the verse chords, and I remember Chris doing the baseline, and then Neil arranging it, saying, “This bit should be around that bit twice,” and so all four of us just really kind of got in with the ingredients and we had this backing track. And then we all went out to the Haçienda, as you as do. And the next day we reconvened at some point in the afternoon wrote a second song together, The Patience Of A Saint, which started off with as Chris’ idea with a dreamy, suspended sort of comedown kind of atmosphere to it. Which makes sense (laughs)."
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2021, 5:54 am
by Young Offender
Great album, great interview from music radar, I had to listen to the album in full today, i remember buying it as soon as it was released in the states and played it non-stop for months.
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Sat 05 Jun 2021, 5:35 am
by psbfannyc
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Wed 09 Jun 2021, 1:47 pm
by Kris
Along with Actually, this is my favourite ever album.
Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Wed 09 Jun 2021, 4:15 pm
by rashomon
Really loved this … thanks for posting as I had never seen it before
Would have been so good to see Neil and Chris at the same cafe … I’m sure they all have a lovely chemistry between them and a good laugh to boot.
Re: Electronic - 30 years (!)
Posted: Thu 10 Jun 2021, 2:06 pm
by retrofuturist
Greetings,
It was a great album, and interestingly enough, Getting Away With It was my gateway into New Order, Joy Division and The Smiths, so I guess it has even extra significance for me. It was the key that opened many doors.
Retro.
