THE NEW SINGLE IS..........

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jamie1978

#76 Post by jamie1978 »

glennjridge wrote:Its an adverage song in YOUR opinion.I think its a great song.you know, not everyone knows whats a great song before its released. the very same people who say it sucks are most likely the very same people who would love it if the drums were going 140 bpm.

some of you need to take your mock horror down a notch.you arent the multimillionaire songwriters. they are.
their choices made them rich.if they started listening to this bunch here they would still trapped in 1985 forever or be using drums that sound like machine guns in a echo chamber and asking for chris to sing more.
You know, I agree with the essence of what you are saying.

However, I think its a fair comment to say that the Pet Shop Boys have not had a truly significant global hit single for 12 years, and that this is partly due to their choices for single releases. And this is despite the fact that their work has been consistently excellent during those 12 years.

I attended the concert at Trafalgar Square, and thought it was superb. The soundtrack is excellent.

The point I was making is that this song is really the low point of the whole soundtrack - its the kind of uncommercial, dreary ballad which does nothing for Neil's voice or the Pet Shop Boys musical talent. Its MOR dullsville which turns into a frankly embarrasing RLD/Go West cheese fest at the end.

Frankly, its a bizarre choice for a single. No radio station in their right mind would playlist it.

bookshopboy

#77 Post by bookshopboy »

jamie1978 wrote:No radio station in their right mind would playlist it.
Pet Shop Boys are only ever going to get played by Radio 2, and I think that Radio 2 would play this single.

bookshopboy

#78 Post by bookshopboy »

The one problem with the release of this is that the BP performance in Trafalgar Square was nearly a year ago. PSB need another performance in the UK to revive the show in the public's mind.

OR, they need it to be shown on TV in the UK!

jamie1978

#79 Post by jamie1978 »

bookshopboy wrote:
Pet Shop Boys are only ever going to get played by Radio 2, and I think that Radio 2 would play this single.
Thats not really true and a poor way of justifying a weak single.

Its a bit like saying New Order are only ever going to be played on Radio 2, but Krafty got quite decent airplay in the commercial sector. It depends on the strength of the single.

You could have also said the same about Cher in the late nineties, but then she released Believe which was A listed on Radio 1 for months.... Its the strength of the song that really counts.

Vince

#80 Post by Vince »

jamie1978 wrote:Its a bit like saying New Order are only ever going to be played on Radio 2, but Krafty got quite decent airplay in the commercial sector. It depends on the strength of the single.
You kidding??? Krafty is being played(minimum) TWICE a day here on VH1 EVERYDAY!!! I got REALLY pissed off when i heard it for the 200th time...
(i dont like the video though...)
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

Kris

#81 Post by Kris »

jamie1978 wrote:
bookshopboy wrote:

Its a bit like saying New Order are only ever going to be played on Radio 2, but Krafty got quite decent airplay in the commercial sector. It depends on the strength of the single.

You could have also said the same about Cher in the late nineties, but then she released Believe which was A listed on Radio 1 for months.... Its the strength of the song that really counts.
Not any more. Cher got lucky in that 'Believe' was out in 1998 when Radio 1 still had a relatively flexible playlist policy - bands like Simply Red, Beautiful South and James were still being playlisted then. R1 went into 'fascist' mode in about 2000.

The fact is, bands like PSB and New Order (and those I mentioned above as well) will never be playlisted by Radio 1 again regardless of the quality of song - simply because R1 now has an unofficial 'blacklist' of acts it no longer considers relevant.

Having said that, Radio 1 is no longer the influence it once was either - for me, being played on commercial stations is a far bigger priority for PSB because they'd reach a far wider audience that way. Unfortunately, that means trying to appeal to Capital FM, who own a large percentage of UK local radio stations, and Capital's outlook on PSB is similar to that of Radio 1.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

SPCD1035

#82 Post by SPCD1035 »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:it's not certain that it will hit the UK Top-20, we don't know how big the fanbase is at the moment. They got to #10 and #12 with Miracles and Flamboyant, I can't see how a bland generic ballad of Neil whining that turns into Red Letter Day later can hold up to those two.

And well, I hate to piss on everyone's parade but just because they're releasing *something*, it means nothing if it's not as good as a PSB record ought to be.
I agree also. The song is not up to Miracles or Flambo standards so can't be expected to fare too well.

Guys, why jump up & down on anyone who has the audacity to suggest some PSB releases/projects are not up scratch? It's just as bad blindly saying it's all brilliant regardless of what they churn out. They've set genius like standards before so logic says they can't possibly maintain those standards forever.

That said, no doubt we're all daft enough to go out & buy every version of whatever they release :roll: :D

jamie1978

#83 Post by jamie1978 »

Vince wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:Its a bit like saying New Order are only ever going to be played on Radio 2, but Krafty got quite decent airplay in the commercial sector. It depends on the strength of the single.
You kidding??? Krafty is being played(minimum) TWICE a day here on VH1 EVERYDAY!!! I got REALLY pissed off when i heard it for the 200th time...
(i dont like the video though...)
Yeah - that was my point, that it was getting reasonable airplay.

jamie1978

#84 Post by jamie1978 »

Kris wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:
bookshopboy wrote: Pet Shop Boys are only ever going to get played by Radio 2, and I think that Radio 2 would play this single.

Not any more. Cher got lucky in that 'Believe' was out in 1998 when Radio 1 still had a relatively flexible playlist policy - bands like Simply Red, Beautiful South and James were still being playlisted then. R1 went into 'fascist' mode in about 2000.

The fact is, bands like PSB and New Order (and those I mentioned above as well) will never be playlisted by Radio 1 again regardless of the quality of song - simply because R1 now has an unofficial 'blacklist' of acts it no longer considers relevant.

Having said that, Radio 1 is no longer the influence it once was either - for me, being played on commercial stations is a far bigger priority for PSB because they'd reach a far wider audience that way. Unfortunately, that means trying to appeal to Capital FM, who own a large percentage of UK local radio stations, and Capital's outlook on PSB is similar to that of Radio 1.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I believe that if a song is strongly commerical and good enough, it will be playlisted by commercial stations. I agree that Radio 1 is a non issue, I was just illustrating a point. Cher didnt 'get lucky' - she released a great pop single and the airplay followed.

Time for Tears is not a 'great pop single' by anyones standards, and it would be ludicrous to claim that it is.

Also, PSB's did make some inroads airplay-wise with Miracles and Flamboyant, in the commercial sector. I think Flamboyant was up to about 200 plays a week, and that certainly was not down to just Radio 2. When you are on the road to a commerical and credible recovery, why risk it all with such a dreary, dull, cheesy, pointless, below-par single? Just what exactly will it achieve?

The BP soundtrack is superb and this single will do nothing to highlight what a solid piece of work it is. Its also completely uncharacteristic of 95% of the soundtrack, which is generally dark and electronic.

Dreamcatcher2003

#85 Post by Dreamcatcher2003 »

Even the title smells cheesy: No Time for Tears :roll: Backstreet Boys would love it. But perhaps that's the reason why this is picked up as a single...
The CELL by Stephen King instantly hit number 1 in New York Times Bookseller Lists selling well over 200 thousand copies in three weeks. This affirms my opinion: People really need an occassional good horror read...

psb-freak

#86 Post by psb-freak »

Naughty Zoot wrote:
Ronald42 wrote:
weirdalfan1980 wrote:I seriously doubt this info. PSB will put out an album in 2006. This would be far too soon for a single, 8-10 months before the album release.
This isn't a track to promote the new album but the Battleship Potemkin soundtrack.

Found this little review http://www.jasoncook.com/archives/000216.shtml
Thanks, Ronald42, for the link.

And, may I add: NO Superchumbo remix, Puhleeeze :pray:
I think it´s enough for Neil to sing on Tom Stephan´s track.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Zeus On The Loose

#87 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Kris wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:
bookshopboy wrote: Pet Shop Boys are only ever going to get played by Radio 2, and I think that Radio 2 would play this single.

This is *utter* bollocks. R1 played the lead single from Simply Red's previous album (the one with the Hall and Oats sample which I think was called Sunshine) to *absolute death*.

It so happens PSB are down the dumper. There's no reason why R1 should play list them. R1 A-listed every single PSB released up until and including Somewhere and several underperfomed anyway. I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more was B-listed. New York city boy was Single of the week and C-listed. R1 abandoned PSB a long time *after* their fanbase did. Radio stations are all about ratings and they wouldn't 'block' an act that's popular. Both R1 and Capital would play PSB if they were popular. They're not.
Does cameos only.

Zeus On The Loose

#88 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

SPCD1035 wrote: That said, no doubt we're all daft enough to go out & buy every version of whatever they release :roll: :D
Actually, I won't. I'll refuse to buy No Time For Tears. There's so much loyalty one can have and that comes from someone who owns 17 copies of Release. I'm going to do what I did with Kylie's Slow i.e not buy it as means to protest against releasing crap.
Does cameos only.

bookshopboy

#89 Post by bookshopboy »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:
SPCD1035 wrote: That said, no doubt we're all daft enough to go out & buy every version of whatever they release :roll: :D
Actually, I won't. I'll refuse to buy No Time For Tears. There's so much loyalty one can have and that comes from someone who owns 17 copies of Release. I'm going to do what I did with Kylie's Slow i.e not buy it as means to protest against releasing crap.
And what will you do if it were to have really good b-sides? download them illegally???

bookshopboy

#90 Post by bookshopboy »

I doubt this track will be a single. I remember at the time of the BP show in September last year, that a website somewhere had a release date of the 13th September for the CD (ie the day after the show!).

The release details of this single are likely to be pure guess work - NTFT is really the only proper song on the soundtrack and therefore if a single were to be released it would be the only contender.