March listening thread

For 'Off Topic' and non-PSB music threads.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
rags
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:23 pm

#151 Post by rags »

Pani, what type of music is that form Chaplin? Are you able to put a 30 second sample online or so from Oh! That Cello??

bigboy

#152 Post by bigboy »

I was given a great illustrated book on Chaplin by my father recently. He was really unrecognisable from the moustached skinny elf as he hit middle age.

Even though I was only eight at the time I can remember as if it were yesterday when they announced his death at Christmas '77 and they showed a picture of how he looked in later years.

I can recall asking my gran (bless her) how could that man be Chaplin? It didn't look like the same man at all.

Around the same time I asked my gran if she watched Batman when I didn't stay with her and she told me not to be so stupid.

I guess I had a lot to learn about how people's tastes and looks are different when you get older!

dizzy

#153 Post by dizzy »

Who knew Chaplin made music? And I call myself a fan! :wall:

User avatar
fluffmoln
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 2:44 pm
Contact:

#154 Post by fluffmoln »

OK, I don't know how to break this, so I'll just blurt it out: I love the new Blink 182 single, I Miss You. There... I said it.

Seriously though, it's a wonderful piece of music (though the guitarist sings in a rather not-so-wonderful way).

User avatar
Pani
Posts: 8208
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:51 am
Contact:

#155 Post by Pani »

dizzy wrote:Who knew Chaplin made music? And I call myself a fan! :wall:
He wrote and was able to play the music (cello) to his own movies as he was an allrounder. :D

@rags:
Unfortunately I am not able to. I only could find this record on German amazon but there are no samples to listen to (there should have been a button called "Reinhören" then ...).
It is classical music for piano and cello only (Charles Chaplin played the cello), like the music in his movies, rather tragic/melancholic ... calm.

@bigboy:
So you're one year older than me as I was seven years old in 1977. :wink:

User avatar
rags
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:23 pm

#156 Post by rags »

Paninaro-Dancer wrote:@rags:
Unfortunately I am not able to. I only could find this record on German amazon but there are no samples to listen to (there should have been a button called "Reinhören" then ...).
It is classical music for piano and cello only (Charles Chaplin played the cello), like the music in his movies, rather tragic/melancholic ... calm.
Well in that case, could you just copy me the disc and sent it?? ;)

I'll have a look online tonight then if I can find samples, it souds interesting anyway :)

User avatar
Pani
Posts: 8208
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:51 am
Contact:

#157 Post by Pani »

rags wrote:
Well in that case, could you just copy me the disc and sent it?? ;)
Ha-errrm .....
Besides: The one that I own is a record ... :mrgreen:

dizzy

#158 Post by dizzy »

fluffmoln wrote:OK, I don't know how to break this, so I'll just blurt it out: I love the new Blink 182 single, I Miss You. There... I said it.

Seriously though, it's a wonderful piece of music (though the guitarist sings in a rather not-so-wonderful way).
:shock:... Seriously, the video is one of the best I've ever seen. Very beautiful. And a good video rubs off on the song.

User avatar
rags
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:23 pm

#159 Post by rags »

Paninaro-Dancer wrote:Ha-errrm .....
Besides: The one that I own is a record ... :mrgreen:
People who are interested in the samples click here. :)

Very atmospheric :D

User avatar
fluffmoln
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 2:44 pm
Contact:

#160 Post by fluffmoln »

dizzy wrote: :shock:... Seriously, the video is one of the best I've ever seen. Very beautiful. And a good video rubs off on the song.
Well, maybe. That's how I heard of it (the album which the song resides on was released last year), so that strengthens your theory. And I like the bass players 'dead-pan vocals'...

User avatar
Pani
Posts: 8208
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:51 am
Contact:

#161 Post by Pani »

Referring to the Chaplin record:
rags wrote:People who are interested in the samples click here. :)

Very atmospheric :D
Brilliant!

Here is some information from the record's inner sleeve.
I hope it is readable ...


Presently I am listening to Visage - Visage with the following tracklist:

Side One:
Visage
Blocks On Blocks
The Dancer
Tar (a song about cigarette addiction... )
Fade To Grey (popular, does anybody remember?)

Side Two
Malpaso Man
Mind Of A Toy (brilliant)
Moon Over Moscow
Visa-age
The Steps (instrumental, sounds like a fantasy movie or science fiction soundtrack)

This record is from 1980. Musician besides Steve Strange: Midge Ure. Hear, hear!
My favs: Fade To Grey, Mind Of A Toy, The Dancer ... :D
Last edited by Pani on Sat 20 Mar 2004, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Leeds City Boy
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:28 pm

#162 Post by Leeds City Boy »

Listening to on MP3:


FPU Project - Crocketts Theme
Starsailor - Four To The Floor (Thin White Duke mix)
Collettivo Sole Luna vs. Planet Funk - D'Freak
Goldfrapp - Strict Machine
Ian Van Dahl - I Can't Let You Go
Phixx - Love Revolution

bigboy

#163 Post by bigboy »

Paninaro-Dancer wrote:@bigboy:
So you're one year older than me as I was seven years old in 1977. :wink:
Well the age 34 under my avatar was a sort of a clue :roll:

As for the first Visage album, it's one of the greatest electronic albums of the early 80s, and completely under-rated too.

The US CD has a couple of bonus tracks including a superb 12" mix of Fade To Grey

User avatar
Pani
Posts: 8208
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:51 am
Contact:

#164 Post by Pani »

bigboy wrote:
Paninaro-Dancer wrote:@bigboy:
So you're one year older than me as I was seven years old in 1977. :wink:
Well the age 34 under my avatar was a sort of a clue :roll:
Could be sort of ... like 100, 69 ... :wink:

Visage: You can hear Midge Ure's influence indeed ...

User avatar
Jack the Lad
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 12:24 pm
Contact:

#165 Post by Jack the Lad »

dizzy wrote:
fluffmoln wrote:OK, I don't know how to break this, so I'll just blurt it out: I love the new Blink 182 single, I Miss You. There... I said it.

Seriously though, it's a wonderful piece of music (though the guitarist sings in a rather not-so-wonderful way).
:shock:... Seriously, the video is one of the best I've ever seen. Very beautiful. And a good video rubs off on the song.
my favourite is the one with the pornstar and the naked dwarfes :lol:

today I've been listening to -
Ramones - Mania (2cd's) + Pet Cemetary :yeah:
"You're all a bunch of m*therf****ers, you know that?”
~ Sigmund Freud on the Oedipus complex

Post Reply