June Reading Thread

For 'Off Topic' and non-PSB music threads.
Message
Author
User avatar
Jack the Lad
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 12:24 pm
Contact:

Re: June Reading Thread

#16 Post by Jack the Lad »

Scandal wrote:I hope Jack the Lad doesn't mind me starting this thread!
since it's you.. :wink:

Banana Yoshimoto - Asleep
at the end of the year I guess this one will be in my top-5.

next week I'll be getting the Norweigan edition of 'Bly' by Lars Saabye Christiansen. can't wait. the prequel 'Beatles' is in my all-time top-10.
(basicly it's about four Norweigan guys born in 1951, growing up in Oslo etc.)
"You're all a bunch of m*therf****ers, you know that?”
~ Sigmund Freud on the Oedipus complex

fredot

Re: June Reading Thread

#17 Post by fredot »

Jack the Lad wrote:

Banana Yoshimoto - Asleep
at the end of the year I guess this one will be in my top-5.

Did you read "Kitchen" ? A very good book too ..
I read another one by Banana, but don't remember the title ... :cry:

bookshopboy

#18 Post by bookshopboy »

Bowesy wrote:Im currently reading the Abbey National Complaints Procedure Booklet!!!
I would also recommend the HSBC Complaints Procedure Booklet - I read it recently, and it's a classic....

User avatar
GalataPSB
Posts: 6137
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 12:10 pm

#19 Post by GalataPSB »

sybex ==================70-216 exam!!!

User avatar
Jack the Lad
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 12:24 pm
Contact:

Re: June Reading Thread

#20 Post by Jack the Lad »

fredot wrote:
Jack the Lad wrote:

Banana Yoshimoto - Asleep
at the end of the year I guess this one will be in my top-5.

Did you read "Kitchen" ? A very good book too ..
I read another one by Banana, but don't remember the title ... :cry:
Kitchen, yes, five or six years ago. very good indeed :D
"You're all a bunch of m*therf****ers, you know that?”
~ Sigmund Freud on the Oedipus complex

bookshopboy

#21 Post by bookshopboy »

What are Banana Yoshimoto's books like?

When I was at Waterstone's, I used to run the fiction section and was always intrigued by her name, but never actually looked at the books in much detail. They never seemed to sell very well...

User avatar
Jack the Lad
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 12:24 pm
Contact:

#22 Post by Jack the Lad »

bookshopboy wrote:What are Banana Yoshimoto's books like?

When I was at Waterstone's, I used to run the fiction section and was always intrigued by her name, but never actually looked at the books in much detail. They never seemed to sell very well...
Heidi gave a pretty good description in last months thread :)

"What I like of her books is the very soft approach to everything, including taboo subject like death, suicide, sexual openness. I tend to think it's a typical japanese quality. Yoshimoto's never superficial but always so polite. "
"You're all a bunch of m*therf****ers, you know that?”
~ Sigmund Freud on the Oedipus complex

User avatar
tweety
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue 30 Mar 2004, 1:35 pm

#23 Post by tweety »

Avalon wrote: I had to borrow Magnus Mills's "The scheme for full employment" again, cos it's such a witty book. I kinda took it so I could lend it out to my girlfriend, but 3 months ago I lent her another book about 80's music and she still didn't get any further than bands that start with F, I think...
You must admit that a book with alphabetical lists (of anything, even 80's bands) isn't exactly the type of thing you'd wanna read with one sit. Even if it's filled with priceless trivia such as Robert Smith wanting to release Let's Go to Bed under the pseudonym The Recur.

Whereas for "The scheme for full employment", I'm convinced that your grilfriend has finished it by now because it indeed is a funny book. In a weird way, it reminds me of a book I read by some Norwegian fellow - the book was called "Egalia's daughters" and it was about an imaginary society where the roles of women and men were twisted around. The story was way over the top and often embarrassing but it was the point that mattered. A lot like with The Scheme. Except that Mill's book is not rubbish, really:)
"At one time singers had to use musicians to accompany them. Since synthesizers came along, singers can now play with themselves"

http://petshopboys.proboards58.com

User avatar
tweety
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue 30 Mar 2004, 1:35 pm

#24 Post by tweety »

bookshopboy wrote:What are Banana Yoshimoto's books like?
Perfect.
"At one time singers had to use musicians to accompany them. Since synthesizers came along, singers can now play with themselves"

http://petshopboys.proboards58.com

User avatar
Jack the Lad
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 12:24 pm
Contact:

#25 Post by Jack the Lad »

wow, this one died quickly lol remember, reaading is good for you :wink:

currently re-reading Brideshead Revisited, the I'll start on "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown.
"You're all a bunch of m*therf****ers, you know that?”
~ Sigmund Freud on the Oedipus complex

Post Reply