Page 3 of 6

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 10:04 am
by Ray
BlueSwan wrote:The fact remains that currently the majority of the US public support Bush's outrageous proposal - hopefully that will change soon when people start coming to their senses. I mean, even if one is opposed to gay marriages, it's a pretty radical step to actually put it in the constitution.
Would it be the first time ever that the US constitution would be amended to *limit* certain people's rights?

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 11:55 am
by Shopper
The European policy makers are so practical in this aspect. Well I could never really figure out USA, for all the supposed openess, there is so much deep rooted (religious ?!) conservativism to conceed with. And there is a majority vote-bank to concur with as well

Then are the asian countries, like india, where victorian laws such as these are still alive and kicking !! :oops:

IPC Sec 377. Unnatural offences
Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal, shall be punished with 152[imprisonment for life], or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Explanation- Penetration is sufficient to constitute the carnal intercourse necessary to the offence described in this section.

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 12:24 pm
by bigboy
If people (whatever their sexuality) want to get married let them. Couples should have the choice.

Personally, if I could get the same rights for my partner and I then a civil partnership ceremony would be the one to go for..

I wouldn't go anywhere near a church if you paid me. I find them oppressive and depressing.

As long as the Conservatives are kept out of power, it's only a matter of time before the socially backwards UK follows more progressive forward-thiking countries like Denmark and Holland in having a nationwide civil partnerships register which will eventually lead to marriage.

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 12:48 pm
by PigletWildebeest
Even if Georgie starts trying to change the constitution, he probably won't be able to.
He needs a majority of... 2/3s of the states (could be more, could be less I'm not sure), which nobody really thinks he'll get.
He'll have to campaign (but doesn't have any money, since he went and bombed a few countries) and, even apart from all that, it takes years.
If he's not re-elected, he can bury his plans immediately.

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 3:30 pm
by BlueSwan
Ray wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:The fact remains that currently the majority of the US public support Bush's outrageous proposal - hopefully that will change soon when people start coming to their senses. I mean, even if one is opposed to gay marriages, it's a pretty radical step to actually put it in the constitution.
Would it be the first time ever that the US constitution would be amended to *limit* certain people's rights?
I would assume so, yes!

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 4:10 pm
by bigboy
PigletWildebeest wrote:If he's not re-elected, he can bury his plans immediately.
We can but hope and pray. :pray:

Shame the Democrats have chosen the man who, to my eyes anyway, looked like one of the more uninspiring of the candidates on offer.

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 4:21 pm
by dizzy
Um, I don't believe in marriage at all so technicaly my answer should be 'no'.
But as I also strongly believe that every human beeing should have equal rights, and as marriage isn't likely to disappear, I answer 'yes'.

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 6:40 pm
by Luna Noctis
Without any doubt : gay marrieges should be legal everywhere .

I could never understand this thing : how come gays are good enough to pay taxes , to serve in armies and to "give" the countries they live in , yet , they aren't good enough for something so natural and simple as marriage ? There should be total equality between all the people , no matter what their sexual orientation , race or social group is !

Maybe in that case the governments should think about giving gay people the freedom from taxes ? After all , if you don't get your basic rights , you shouldn't have duties as well , do you ? :wink:

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 7:27 pm
by bigboy
Luna Noctis wrote:Maybe in that case the governments should think about giving gay people the freedom from taxes ? After all , if you don't get your basic rights , you shouldn't have duties as well , do you ? :wink:
Bloody good point, and an even better idea! :D

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 7:45 pm
by Satanas In Da House©
who are the 3 persons who vote to married only between men and woman???????? :twisted: ..I cant belive the persons will think that yet..everybody is free to get married and love..or only with love the straight persons!!!!! :twisted: !!!!!!

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 7:54 pm
by bigboy
Satanas In Da House© wrote:I cant belive the persons will think that yet..
Oh, you can be frequently shocked at what some people round these parts think, say or do. Take a certain Iberian imbecile for example............

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 8:33 pm
by Luna Noctis
bigboy wrote: Take a certain Iberian imbecile for example............
And who would THAT be ? :wink:

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 8:42 pm
by bigboy
Luna Noctis wrote:
bigboy wrote: Take a certain Iberian imbecile for example............
And who would THAT be ? :wink:
Someone who's obviously just been awarded a philosophy degree on the subject of love, it seems :roll:

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 8:51 pm
by Luna Noctis
bigboy wrote:Someone who's obviously just been awarded a philosophy degree on the subject of love, it seems :roll:
Is that person a right-winger ? :evil:

Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 8:53 pm
by bigboy
Luna Noctis wrote:Is that person a right minger ? :evil:
I couldn't have put it any better if I tried. :wink: