R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

For 'Off Topic' and non-PSB music threads.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
canveyboy
Posts: 1465
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 10:38 am
Contact:

R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

#1 Post by canveyboy »

Sad news just announced.

Will always remember that brilliant episode of 'Wogan' with Liza and the boys!

Another legend gone :(
Its taken me all of my life to find you

User avatar
No Muscle Mary
Posts: 1806
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:07 am
Contact:

Re: R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

#2 Post by No Muscle Mary »

He's Irish, of course. The President and Taoiseach (Prime Minister) both paid tribute. Among the normal people, there's a lot of mixed feelings towards the man.
Churlicious

User avatar
raggatwin
Posts: 4188
Joined: Thu 18 Dec 2003, 4:31 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

#3 Post by raggatwin »

West Brit - by his own admission.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Palpatine
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 5:39 pm

Re: R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

#4 Post by Palpatine »

No Muscle Mary wrote:He's Irish, of course. The President and Taoiseach (Prime Minister) both paid tribute. Among the normal people, there's a lot of mixed feelings towards the man.
Why the mixed feelings?

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 9986
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

#5 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Palpatine wrote:Why the mixed feelings?
Because he was a self-confessed West Briton.

I met him when I was a small kid at the airport and he gave me his autograph.

User avatar
Drico One
Posts: 6224
Joined: Tue 16 Sep 2003, 8:56 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Contact:

Re: R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

#6 Post by Drico One »

There's talk of naming a bridge over the Shannon in Limerick after him.

Whatever people thought of him - and I think it ludicrous for an Irishman to accept a knighthood - nobody in Limerick would deny that he was the greatest broadcaster ever to come out of Ireland.

I'll say one thing for him: unlike many celebrities, he was genuinely talented. I still smile when I remember him asking Neil and Chris, when they were promoting The Most Incredible Thing, why they "still bothered with the auld pop". He could be affectionately irreverent.

He was also known to put the demise of his regular golfing outings down to the fact that three of his usual foresome partners were under investigation by Operation Yewtree.

Yes, he had the auld Limerick wit, alright.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

User avatar
raggatwin
Posts: 4188
Joined: Thu 18 Dec 2003, 4:31 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: R.I.P Sir Terry Wogan

#7 Post by raggatwin »

Drico One wrote:There's talk of naming a bridge over the Shannon in Limerick after him.

Whatever people thought of him - and I think it ludicrous for an Irishman to accept a knighthood - nobody in Limerick would deny that he was the greatest broadcaster ever to come out of Ireland.

I'll say one thing for him: unlike many celebrities, he was genuinely talented. I still smile when I remember him asking Neil and Chris, when they were promoting The Most Incredible Thing, why they "still bothered with the auld pop". He could be affectionately irreverent.

He was also known to put the demise of his regular golfing outings down to the fact that three of his usual foresome partners were under investigation by Operation Yewtree.

Yes, he had the auld Limerick wit, alright.

Drico.
He was funny, to be fair.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Post Reply