Star Wars original trilogy finally on DVD

For 'Off Topic' and non-PSB music threads.
Message
Author
Eldritch
Posts: 4050
Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 8:24 am

#16 Post by Eldritch »

Actually what I was trying to say was this: I hate this way of thinking that EVERYONE should like or buy something. That's exactly what Lucasfilm is trying to make us believe - that Star Wars are such a cultural monument that everyone should buy them. They are not. Because nothing really is. I think everyone should be proud to like whatever they like and spend their money on that. It's no-one duty to buy the Star Wars box set, or LOTR or Citizen Kane or whatever. Not even Pet Shop Boys albums. Love what you love, but don't make it a cultural imperative for everyone else to love it as well.
Click click drone

User avatar
Your Funny Uncle
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2003, 1:55 am

#17 Post by Your Funny Uncle »

I don't think that Georgr Lucas or anyone else actully expects EVERYONE to buy this. It's just the usual marketing hyperbole...

Technotrancemix

#18 Post by Technotrancemix »

Your Funny Uncle wrote:Similarly, I've bought the extended editions of each Lord of the Rings film.
Not bought them from me for £3 each??? :roll:

User avatar
Your Funny Uncle
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2003, 1:55 am

#19 Post by Your Funny Uncle »

technotrancemix wrote:
Your Funny Uncle wrote:Similarly, I've bought the extended editions of each Lord of the Rings film.
Not bought them from me for £3 each??? :roll:
Why would I want to buy anything from you?

Technotrancemix

#20 Post by Technotrancemix »

Your Funny Uncle wrote:Why would I want to buy anything from you?
Good service and value for money? :roll:

User avatar
Markpro
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2004, 4:53 am

#21 Post by Markpro »

The reason George Lucas didn't want them on DVD was because he alwasy said he was going to release them on DVD in order, But he has changed his mind so by christmas 2004 there will be a massive charge to the tills for the box set of episode 4,5,6 and the fourth dvd which is huge bonus disc, then by christmas 2005 episode 3 ( rise of the empire i think it'll be called )will be out on DVD which will make him evenmore money. a very clever marketing ploy from the master of the action figure movies.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

User avatar
Flaffer
Posts: 3897
Joined: Wed 05 Nov 2003, 4:14 pm
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

#22 Post by Flaffer »

technotrancemix wrote:Don't like SW. I'll stick to my Transformers box sets - I must get the 4th one as it's been out for ages!!!
are the box sets any good?, I've looked at them for a while but so far have only bought the movie and an individual disc
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

User avatar
DJCulture
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:48 am

#23 Post by DJCulture »

Can't wait for the DVD release. It's about time. Thank Gawd we haven't got to wait until 2006 or 2007.

I think I must be the only person on the planet that actually likes all 5 Star Wars episodes (so far).

User avatar
Markpro
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2004, 4:53 am

#24 Post by Markpro »

no way, you are not alone on that one, i wasn't a great fan of episode 1 but after watching it again recently iv'e had a change of heart
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

User avatar
Steve Fett
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm

#25 Post by Steve Fett »

DJCulture wrote:Can't wait for the DVD release. It's about time. Thank Gawd we haven't got to wait until 2006 or 2007.

I think I must be the only person on the planet that actually likes all 5 Star Wars episodes (so far).
Ditto !!! I love ALL 5 films so far too (AOTC and ESB being my faves)
I think so far they all work well as a saga...both OT and PT have there advantages (hence my name, Fett!!)
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?

User avatar
DJCulture
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:48 am

#26 Post by DJCulture »

I think a lot of people will re-evaluate the prequel trilogy once it's complete.

User avatar
Steve Fett
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm

#27 Post by Steve Fett »

DJCulture wrote:I think a lot of people will re-evaluate the prequel trilogy once it's complete.
definately - people see it as the best trilogy of the 80's vs the "other" StarWars movies that are "ruined with too much CG !!! hehehe....

oh please, its the CG that makes these type of movies the visual masterpieces that they are. So many talented people have done such brilliant work on Episodes 1 and 2 (and 3), and the artform is one to trully admire ! Brilliant work indeed... 8)
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?

User avatar
Your Funny Uncle
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2003, 1:55 am

#28 Post by Your Funny Uncle »

While I think that episode 1 is the weakest of the 5 films released so far, I have still enjoyed the new films immensely. Episode 2 is great. I love the little details like bit where you see the early design of the death star...

Having said that, the sequence near the end of episode 2 where Amidala is flung from the transport, and is lying prone on the floor, then a trooper asks if she's alright, and she suddenly springs up as though nothing has happened, is pretty poor...;)

User avatar
morrison
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed 03 Dec 2003, 1:42 pm
Contact:

#29 Post by morrison »

I L O V E starwars

we have them all on video

Technotrancemix

#30 Post by Technotrancemix »

Flaffer wrote:are the box sets any good?, I've looked at them for a while but so far have only bought the movie and an individual disc
Just ask the millions of fans who've bought them - Trickydisco, freshdebesh, technotrancemix :roll:

The first series box set is a must for any DVD fan. R1 only.

Post Reply