George Michael retiring

For 'Off Topic' and non-PSB music threads.
Message
Author
User avatar
RaciePSB
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sat 15 Nov 2003, 8:32 am
Contact:

George Michael retiring

#1 Post by RaciePSB »

Still not sure what to think about this, but his statements have made a huge impression on me.


http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/ ... 67884.html
Rachel
Happily PSB-obsessed since 1986

User avatar
glennjridge
Posts: 8205
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:28 pm

#2 Post by glennjridge »

that sounds like the kind of statement someone makes when they are full of themselves. everything has to be so melodramatic with some of these entertainers. last tours,last albums all that nonsense. we have heard it all before by so many groups. I will say what he mentioned about just having his music on the net is something I suggested to the PSB(only I assume the PSB would charge) on their questions site that they should sell some rare or unreleased stuff on thier store site, so if george does that it might be cool.

eitherway, its hard for me to get excited about GM anymore for some reason. he just seems.....over. he is only 40? he looks alot older.

User avatar
DJAMIX
Posts: 3632
Joined: Sat 08 Nov 2003, 3:35 am

#3 Post by DJAMIX »

I would retire much earlier if I had the money he has.

Nothing to worry about. Like Jason Vorhees, those singers who say they're retiring always come back. :wink:
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

Eldritch
Posts: 4050
Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 8:24 am

#4 Post by Eldritch »

And he isn't even retiring – he's just intending to release his future albums through the internet.

Personally i couldn't care less. I just listened to Patience for a first time and it really is a meandering and a boring album.
Click click drone

User avatar
Deschanel
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 7:23 pm

#5 Post by Deschanel »

George Michael is a talented singer with a voice from God who's chosen to waste half his career in lawsuits and blame and diva attitudes, rather than making awesome records.

What ever happened to this guy? He had the goodwill of most of the world, and he squandered it in litigation and a sort of victim posture.

So a dramatic announcement of "retirement" must be his latest hissy-fit.
Why doesn't the sulky queen go work in a Greek diner then- I adore chicken souvlaki.

But the bitch better get the tziki sauce right! And hurry up George!

User avatar
thomashenry
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri 05 Mar 2004, 12:23 am

#6 Post by thomashenry »

glennjridge wrote:that sounds like the kind of statement someone makes when they are full of themselves. everything has to be so melodramatic with some of these entertainers. last tours,last albums all that nonsense. we have heard it all before by so many groups. I will say what he mentioned about just having his music on the net is something I suggested to the PSB(only I assume the PSB would charge) on their questions site that they should sell some rare or unreleased stuff on thier store site, so if george does that it might be cool.

eitherway, its hard for me to get excited about GM anymore for some reason. he just seems.....over. he is only 40? he looks alot older.

Oh, come on. We all KNOW you're known12 under a new alias. We all KNOW you're only saying so because he insulted your precious Dubya in Shoot The Dog

Kris
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat 08 Nov 2003, 11:22 am

#7 Post by Kris »

Poor old George Michael. It must be so stressful for him having to release an album once every seven years. :roll:

Basically he's run out of ideas musically. I like a lot of his early solo stuff such as A Different Corner and Praying For Time but apart from the odd decent tune, like FastLove, none of his latter day songs have done much for me at all.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

User avatar
Shopper
Posts: 2350
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 12:52 pm
Contact:

#8 Post by Shopper »

I dont think he's full of himself or anything, just stating what is going on his mind at the moment and he is very candid about the fact that he made loads of money and that is not the motivating factor anymore. Whether he stuff he puts for free download would be as creative, is ofcourse another point, but then we can always associate quality with GM, so no worries about that.

Unlike that Prince Chap :roll:
Left to my own devices, I probably would...

https://www.instagram.com/chit2clix/

User avatar
shamelessbehave
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2003, 2:27 pm

#9 Post by shamelessbehave »

:shock: by George Michael´s comments. At least he´ll keep on making music.
That´s why Neil says of himself that he is not famous and he enjoys it. He said this on a VIVA interview.
http://www.myspace.com/shamelesssilvia

"It´s fundamental that we do only exist in our own universe. When you like Pet Shop Boys, you are in our world. This is absolutely crucial to our entire outlook...what we do has an incredibly strong identity and applies only to us. It´s a case of not recognising the existence of anybody else!". Neil Tennant.

User avatar
glennjridge
Posts: 8205
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:28 pm

#10 Post by glennjridge »

I wish people wouild stop accusing me of being other people. so far I have been called zeus,joe durst and known12.

User avatar
Deschanel
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 7:23 pm

#11 Post by Deschanel »

glennjridge wrote:I wish people wouild stop accusing me of being other people. so far I have been called zeus,joe durst and known12.
Well that's the price you pay when you post in another thread that gay people ought to be grateful to tiny indulgences like "Will & Grace", like we're a minstrel show -yes massah!

and you declare gay relationships shouldn't be recognized cos most hicks like you think that's the way it should be , and the Bible tells you so.

You Are sort of a jerk, and you're so out of what "kind" people consider civil, and on a PSB website-
You oughta be ashamed. Stuff it.

User avatar
glennjridge
Posts: 8205
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:28 pm

#12 Post by glennjridge »

I may be a jerk, but it is annoying that I am actually not zeus,joe durst or known12 and people still think I am.

User avatar
Ray
Posts: 1133
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 6:32 am

#13 Post by Ray »

I bought "Patience" yesterday -- normally these days I first download new albums and check if they're worth their price, but hey, it's George Michael, I couldn't wait.

So far, I can't decide whether I like the album or not. Most of the songs are unstructured, they don't seem to have verses and choruses, nor do they seem to have any hooks. It sounds like "Freeek" and "Shoot the dog" are the most hit-y material on the record, actually. I also like "Go to the city" a lot, but that's mostly because -- I'm afraid -- it's actually George singing over "Flawless" by The Ones. "Precious box" is very uptempo, very very very well produced and has a very good lyric, but I can't detect a chorus there either.

I guess there will be two more singles -- "John and Elvis are dead" and "Go to the city" or "Precious box". Nothing else sounds like a single to me. If I had to review the album in one sentence after hearing it twice, I'd say: "yeah, I guess it's very nice... can you PLEASE call Andrew Ridgeley?"

Update after third listen: "John and Elvis are dead" has the best lyric since, um, "Older" I guess.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/raygrantmusic">(I wonder why) My career's in danger?!</a>

bigboy

#14 Post by bigboy »

thomashenry wrote: Oh, come on. We all KNOW you're known12 under a new alias. We all KNOW you're only saying so because he insulted your precious Dubya in Shoot The Dog
Oh, that explains a lot. I remember that ignorant twerp

User avatar
glennjridge
Posts: 8205
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:28 pm

#15 Post by glennjridge »

who unplugged your hole so you can slither out and bother me some more? you can stick your head up your mothers arse for all I care.
most people here quite frankly have lives and dont post on virtually every topic like some kind of lonely shut in looking for someone,anyone to talk to.

you really *are* sad. rent boy.

Post Reply